Roon Controller constant crashing on Windows 11 Desktop: render area size changed unhandled selection type

Yes. When the PC comes back from sleep, or sometimes even it I switch to another app for a long tiem and then come back to Roon. The app will be unresponsive. I have to close it and reopen it to get it to work.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I am still seeing as well.

Hi @danny2 ,

We are seeing Roon try to change to a very strange resolution just before the crash:

Debug: render area size changed value: 1706.667x881.3333

@danny2 / @Jamie_Tudor - Can you please provide some more details on the monitor setup of your affected PC? Can you please open the Windows Start menu and type in “System Information”. Then, share a screenshot of System Summary and Components → Display?

Hi-
I’m using an HP 360x laptop, 15.6 inch display.
Native Resolution is 3840 X 2160 which is what I use.

Sometimes I change the resolution to 2560X 1440 in order to logon to a remote setup and see the desktop properly. I don’t use Roon while I’m doing this.

screen capture:

Here’s my system and display summary screens.

Hi @Jamie_Tudor and @danny2,

I apologize for the delay in responding, as the team liaised internally with development and QA to investigate the issue you’re experiencing.

As a follow-up troubleshooting step, are you able to attempt the following at your convenience and let us know if it changes or relieves the symptoms you’re experiencing?

1. Navigate to the following system file in Windows: C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Roon\Database\Registry\Client\saved_window_pos
  2. Change the values within that file to something out-of-bounds (a very large or a negative number)
  3. See if the behavior in Roon changes at all.

We’ll be standing by with additional steps after your response, and we should be able to identify the issue promptly from there. Thank you again.

Additionally, do either of you have any third-party software that might interfere with the render size? Streaming broadcast software, emulators, or virtual OS platforms are all examples.

2 Likes

Hi
I’m away from home. Will get back to you next week.

Hi there. I shut down Roon, changed all four variable in the position file to very large numbers, then restarted Roon. Presumably as expected, the Roon window opened in an odd window size, and then the position file was overwritten with new values.

An hour later the application crashed as normal - this change hasn’t had any effect.

I’m not running anything exotic on the PC - VMs, broadcast software etc. Just office software, browsers etc.

Thanks
Jamie

I put in -1,000,000.
Seemed to work for the first couple of days. But just now the program froze when I came back to it after using my mail and browser programs. It did recover on it’s own (no crash), but I had to wait to see what happened and then proceed.

Following up to see if there’s been any progress on fixing this. The new version of Roon 2.0 still crashes, albeit less frequently I think.

Agree. Still crashes/freezes, but less often.

I’ve been having the same problem for many months - including after the recent Roon update. Windows 10 PC. Roon desktop control app crashes a few minutes after an album ends if I do not immediately select a new album to play. This is not a random, once in a while issue. It is a every time I use Roon issue.

It hasn’t happened to me for a week now. I did change the number referenced above to -1,000,000,000

Hi @CraigS,

Please note that we have a fix prepared to address this issue with the upcoming regular update release cycle of Roon. We will provide regular updates in this thread: Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Roon Investigating, Partial Workaround Available].

We anticipate that the fix will resolve or at least improve symptoms for most users, and we will continue to finetune after we’ve put it in place to restore a regular and reliable user experience on Windows desktops and laptops.

Thanks for the info and a great product. What does “upcoming regular update release cycle of Roon” equate to in terms of weeks or months?

Thanks.
I have gotten a couple of temporary freezes, but no crash like before. It’s much better than before, I hope the upcoming fix solves the issue.

Hi @danny2 and @CraigS,

Thank you for your patience. We’ve released a fix that should improve or resolve this issue for most users; please see the tracking thread here: Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Partially Solved] - #406 by connor

I recommend you “deeply” reinstall Roon on your affected devices to fully stabilize performance by following the steps below. This will automatically trigger the available update:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

If you continue to experience issues on your Windows remotes with these same symptoms, please report here. We are merging all new reports into the main tracking thread for clarity. We hope to have this issue fully resolved shortly for the remaining affected systems after the fix.

@CraigS,

To answer your question in case we haven’t already in another thread: Roon’s regular update cycle is approximately every two weeks. Occasionally, as with the recent release, we will release hotfixes or delay updates by a few days in order to include more necessary feature/product changes; this was the case recently with the release of Roon 2.0, and Roon 2.0.1 yesterday.

We’re now back on schedule, so you can anticipate regular Roon updates every two weeks.

1 Like

Hi @Jamie_Tudor, @danny2, @CraigS,

While the update has slightly improved symptoms in some cases, the initial broad-stroke fix did not resolve the issue in the vast majority of cases as we are hoping. We’re preparing a more precise fix that will hopefully eliminate the issue completely.

We will be providing updates for that fix in this thread here, so please keep an eye on this thread: Roon keeps freezing and crashing on Windows (mostly when resuming from minimized) [Partially Solved] - #406 by connor

Thank you again for your patience. We’re getting very close to a final resolution and hope to move beyond this issue soon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.