Roon Core in a Virtual Linux Machine

So, I instanced a Virtual Machine on a headless server and I’m running there the roonserver to perform as a Roon Core in my home network. My Core gets the audio files over a network share.

If anyone is interested, I’m writing the setup instructions and I could post those here.

More details for the avid reader:

1. The VM runs on vagrant using VirtualBox which makes it possible to run on a number of distributions. I run it in Fedora Server.
  2. The VM itself is a Fedora 32 Server. It starts from a stripped minimal image and installs only the required packages. I applied some previous knowledge from this forum to get around SELinux and the Firewall.
  3. The VM was tested on an i7 NUC using 2 cores and 2GB RAM and it sustained 3 devices simultaneously without reaching processor/memory limits. No audible blips either. I am guessing it could run on less than those resources but not a subject of my interest at the moment.

Let me know in the comments if you’d like to know more about it.

2 Likes

I’m interested, especially in the provisioning part. I’m playing at using Ansible to roll out a server and generic Linux based endpoints over SSH. Teasing apart this part from the Vagrantfile would allow the same rollout to be used on NUCs and other real hardware as well as VMs. Feel free to PM me with a copy of the your Vagrantfile or continue in public if you prefer.

It’s bedtime where I am, in fact past bedtime so no replies for a few hours.

I have my Roon running in a headless Virtualbox environment on a FreeBSD host without any problems for 1,5 years now. The guest ist running a vanilla Ubuntu 16 LTS Server and has 4 cores assigned (of 12/24) and 4GB RAM.

First I tried mounting the music data (from freebsd/zfs on a 4x14TB RAIDZ) via NFS, but did never find out why I got miserable performance from that. Since I switched to mount_smb it works like a charm.

While I manage the rest of my IT-world, including my other VMs with Ansible, I did not use it for my Roon VM, since it is completely self managed after installation anyway :slight_smile:

Wow, 1.5 years is a long time and I’m glad to see it can run smooth for that long, considering that it auto-updates.

I had a WIN10 VM running Core on a dual Xeon machine under Ubuntu.

This winter, one of my projects is to get ROCK on a VM.

Thinking of using a Proxmox hypervisor.

The 16.04 guest will need updating to stay up to date with security patches and the like. The other consideration is security updates end April next year:

Support lifespan
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS will be supported for 5 years for Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Core, and Ubuntu Kylin. All other flavours will be supported for 3 years.

Sooner or later…

Wow, 1.5 years is a long time

Surely there were some reboots of the host system between (for hardware changes), but no “reboots” of the VM were necessary.

Sooner or later…

I’m afraid, yes. Ubuntu Server 16.4 was just around, when made my first experiments with the roon VM. However temporary solutions are the ones that last the longest :wink:

Maybe for the next one I’ll get something more lightweighted, selfupdating…

I have ROON Core as Debian Buster ESXi VM.
Music is on Openmediavault NAS on the same ESXi host.
Used to have a DietPi VM before, but changed to vanilla Debian and I am very happy.

1 Like

My setup:

• Roon Core
  • Ubuntu Server 18.04 LXC container, inside
  • Proxmox VE
  • Headless Dell 9020 i7, 16Gb RAM, 128Gb SSD
  • Library on Synology 1517 NAS

Incredibly stable and trouble free, and scheduled daily backups of the Room VM to the NAS makes it incredibly easy to restore in the event something gets FUBAR (hasn’t happened yet).

Highly recommend Proxmox. Free, incredibly slick virtualisation, with an amazing GUI. I run a bunch of applications in separate containers on Proxmox including Plex, Roon, etc.

1 Like