Roon Core is inaccessible

Hi Ben,
Here’s a screenshot of the response I get whenever I try to open Roon on either my MacBook Pro, iPhone, or iPad. Instead of opening., the Roon icon just pulsates until I give up. I have tried restarting all three remote devices to no effect.

I am able to open Roon on my Mac mini, which is where the Core is installed.

Hey @David_Waring,

Thank you for the detailed breakdown here! Since you are able to open Roon via your Mac mini - your core, this sounds like it could be a firewall issue.

The first thing to check is if your main Roon install is set up to accept connections from remotes. To do this, click the main Navigation menu (top-left of Roon) and select Settings. Next, click the Setup tab, and make sure “Accept connections…” is set to Yes .

Here is a good article to review and see if that may allow your remotes to connect.

Please let me know if your issue persists after trying out the steps above :pray:

Hi Ben. I apologize for the delay in responding to your last post. I got sidetracked by a home network problem.
I’ll follow your susggestion and get back to you,

1 Like

Her’s a screenshot that illustrates the difficulty I have verifying that connections from remotes. are accepted by the main Roon install. You’ll notice the menu choices in Setups don’t provide this option.

oops, forgot to attach the screenshot:

Hey @David_Waring,

Thanks for sharing the above information! The reason you don’t see the “Accept connections…” option is because you’re currently running Roon Server on your Mac Mini, and so this specific function is hardwired to always accept connections from remotes. We have a few ideas of what could be going on with your system.

The first thing we’re seeing is a slight network inconsistency between your devices, so we’d like to have you do a hard reset across the board.

1. Power down your core, remotes, and router. Leave everything off for 10 minutes or so.
  2. Restart the router first, then your core, and lastly your devices.

This should reset any hiccups in your network configuration and allow your Roon remotes to find your core.

If the issue still persists, the next step would be to uninstall Roon across all remote devices and do a fresh install.

Let me know if you’re still unable to connect after trying out the above :pray:

1 Like

I followed your instructions above. Still can’t connect to the core either by remote device or even by the install Mac mini at this point. I am asked, as usual, if I would like to choose a different location for the Core. If I did this would my backups pre-dating these difficulties still be viable?

Here’s the screenshot :from my latest attempt to connect with the Core. I am able once again to communicate with the Core, albeit only via the Mac mini where the core resides. Unfortunately, the mini is on a different floor from my main Hi-Fi setup.

Hey @David_Waring,

Thanks again for sharing the information above. I know we’ve already tried creating a new Roon database for you, but this time I’d like to try creating a new RoonSever Database. Please follow the below steps to see if that will help:

• Make a Backup of your current RoonServer Database
  • Exit out of RoonServer
  • Navigate to your RoonServer’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Reinstall the RoonServer App from our Downloads Page to generate a new RoonServer folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Let me know if you’re still having issues connecting after this, and thank you again for your continued patience while we get this sorted out :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Ben,
I followed the procedure above but my various remote devices still can’t connect with the Core. Unfortunately, neither can my Mac mini, which has been the only Core install location until today. Here’s a screen shot of message I hadn’t received before. I don’t know if it will be of much use to you.

Hey @David_Waring,

Thanks for the screenshot. Is this screenshot coming from your Mac mini? If so, you can click unauthorize and reauthorize your core without hurting anything.

After doing this, I’d make sure to update all remotes and core to the latest Roon build 970 and see if you’re able to connect. If you’re still not able to, then we may need to look into doing a full uninstall and reinstall of Roon across the board.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Core Stuck on Initializing

Status report:
For a brief time, I was able to connect to the Core via both install Mac mini and remote devices. But I couldn’t play any files in my Library. Then the Roon Core reverted to it’s former state of inaccessibility. I tried authorizing/deauthorizing a new Core but ended up with two virtually identical Cores on my Mac-mini/. How do I get rid of one of these Cores? Having two seems to confuse Roon as it tries to establish contact with first one and then the other cores over and over. The only difference indicated between the two cores is the character string ffff in the one not in this screen shot:

I’m also unable to quit out of Roon via install or remote devices.

Hey @David_Waring,

Are you able to force quit? Were you able to successfully unauthorize the previous core?

Something else to check: make sure the Private Relay is turned off in your iCloud settings.

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Apple ID. Select iCloud > Private Relay.

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Private Relay.

Your iCloud settings might take a while to load. In order to disable it, simply untick the box and click “Turn Off Private Relay” when the prompt appears.

If Private Relay isn’t being used please try uninstalling Roon on that remote and core, restart, then reinstall. Make sure that your ~/Library/Roon folder gets deleted as well, since removing the app alone won’t fully remove Roon. To find the library folder on your Mac, head to the “Go” menu in Finder while holding down the “option key” and selecting library.

Thanks, David :pray:

1 Like

At present, Roon Core is accessible from my Mac-mini (install) and all three remote devices, iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro. I have no idea how this improvement came about, but the system seems relatively stable at the moment. The only problem remaining is that any music I choose to play is inaudible, although the visual cues indicate the music is being streamed. I have spent considerable time exploring he Settings and Audio menu choices – sans success.
Do you think this is something that could be resolved without a hard reboot of core, router and network.? I’m not sure how to do a hard reboot.

I’ve moved this last post of yours into your existing Support thread - helps to keep everything in the same place…

1 Like

Hey @David_Waring,

I’m glad to hear we’ve made small bits of progress! Which remote are you trying to play music from without audible playback?

Would you be able to take a screenshot of your signal path after pressing play? Here is where you can locate your signal path:

Also, if you are able to share a screenshot of your Settings → Audio, it would be good to see what zones you have enabled. Here is what this looks like:

Let me know, Daniel!

Hi Ben,
Here are a couple of screen shots, as requested, of signal path and audio settings respectively:

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 12.00.54 AM

Hey @David_Waring,

Thank you for the screenshots! We’re getting close to success here, I can feel it! :crossed_fingers:

First, can you enable ‘System Output’ just to check if you’re able to play music from your Mac’s internal speakers?

One other question, are you able to select the M50 (from your zone named Marcel) from the zone picker highlighted in the screenshot below?

Let me know if you’re able to select a zone, and if you’re able to adjust volumes from that zone as well. If you arent seeing Marcel available, try disabling and re-enabling it from the audio settings page.

1 Like

I’ve enabled System Output and can play music on the Mac mini’s internal speakers. which is obviously less than ideal. I only use the Marcel zone, normally. At present, I can not select Marcel or any other zone.

. . . . three hours later.

Everthing works the way it should!! Roon Core is back to normal and is accessible from any of my devices. What made the difference>. Beats me, but I rebooted the M50.2 earlier today and music actually comes out of the hi-fi now.

Thanks for all your help and persistance Ben! If there are any relapses, I’ll let you
know. Fingers crossed :grin:

1 Like