Core Stuck on Initializing

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Hi Benjamin

I am also having the same problem. I have gone one step further and reinstalled macOS and Roon Server but still unable to connect to the core.
I did also uninstall all IOS Roon Remotes, now using one remote to administer this issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Alex

Keeps saying initializing…

Hey @Alex_Campbell,

Thanks for reaching out! I’ve split your issue into a new thread as we believe it is a separate issue from the previous thread you were on.

Before we are able to dig into things further, are you able to provide more details about your setup and network gear? I’ve copied what needs to be filled out into your original post.

The first step to try here is giving your router and network gear a hard reboot, along with your core.

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Roon Core is inaccessible

Hi Ben

Shutdown router and removed power for 1 minute. My Mac Mini is 2008, i7 with 32gigs of memory. My switch is unmanaged and the router is provided to me by my ISP. My network is not sophisticated and my Roon experience for the most part been excellent since 2017. Is there anything else you’d like to know? Turned off ipv6, tried a pleather of different DNS servers, Deleted the core app, plus the RoonServer folder under library and all IOS remotes. I cannot restore from backup because I am not given that option. Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Hey @Alex_Campbell,

Thanks for following up. Just to clarify, did you also reboot your core and remote devices? And after you deleted the core app and library folders, did you do a fresh download and install of Roon from the website?

Is your core connected to your network via Wifi or hardwired? If possible, connecting via ethernet is always recommended.

Lastly, if possible, can you try removing the unmanaged switch out of the equation to see how your core responds?

Let me know! Thanks, Alex :metal:

Hi Ben

The Mac Mini is connected via Ethernet. Is the roon server software on the roon website the same original download because I tried multiple times downloading, deleting, downloading? Sadly, by removing the unmanaged switch did not improve my situation. I have been rebooting everything for the past 3 days.

I have zero active cores and one remote but the remote is showing the core is still initialising.

Please can you help?

Ben

Shutdown router and removed power for 1 minute. My Mac Mini is 2008, i7 with 32gigs of memory. My switch is unmanaged and the router is provided to me by my ISP. My network is not sophisticated and my Roon experience for the most part been excellent since 2017. Is there anything else you’d like to know? Turned off ipv6, tried a pleather of different DNS servers, Deleted the core app, plus the RoonServer folder under library and all IOS remotes. I cannot restore from backup because I am not given that option. Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

Hey @Alex_Campbell,

Thanks for following up. Just to clarify, did you also reboot your core and remote devices? And after you deleted the core app and library folders, did you do a fresh download and install of Roon from the website ?

Is your core connected to your network via Wifi or hardwired? If possible, connecting via ethernet is always recommended.

Lastly, if possible, can you try removing the unmanaged switch out of the equation to see how your core responds?

Let me know! Thanks, Alex

Ben

The Mac Mini is connected via Ethernet. Is the roon server software on the roon website the same original download because I tried multiple times downloading, deleting, downloading? Sadly, by removing the unmanaged switch did not improve my situation. I have been rebooting everything for the past 3 days.

I have zero active cores and one remote but the remote is showing the core is still initialising.

Please can you help?

I moved your post over to your own existing support thread.
Let’s keep it all in one place so support do not miss anything.
Thank you for your patience and understanding

Alex, I’m new to Roon, but when setting up a mac mini as a standalone Core a few days ago, I found two things caused this constant initializing when remote connecting with Roon from another computer into the Core: First, I had another core that I’d setup before I had the mac mini. Until I logged out of that original core, initialization of the new core continued (can’t be logged into two cores at once unless you have two separate subscriptions). Until I went onto my core machine with Roon running on it, I did not see the message that logging out of the original core was required. Second, if I stop running Roon app on the mac mini but leave the Server software running, any remote Roon machine sees the core initializing. Starting Roon on the mac mini fixes that. I’ve just asked in Support for why this is the case and await clarification.

2 Likes

Thank you Philip,

I did have another active core but had logged out of it before switching to another core.

Interesting, so if I install the roon client on the Mac Mini which can act as the core providing you don’t close down the app, I should be ok? I will give that a try and report back.

Thanks!

Holy ■■■■ Philip, nice find!!!

Thank you.

I deleted the roonServer app and all its associated folders, installed the roonClient and selected use the Mac as your roon core. In less the 5 minutes I have everything up and running. I also remembered to open the app at login and I didn’t even need to reboot once!

Philip, I cannot thank you enough.

1 Like

Glad to hear it’s working, Alex, and happy to be of help. I’ve been using Roon for only about 10 days, so it was all trial and error. I still don’t understand why just having the Roon Server on the mac mini was not sufficient without the Roon app. Hopefully Support will explain that for me.

Enjoy !!

This is not really a solution the Roon Server app is still the problem - not the Roon all in one that gives the option to Use this Mac

@support

I agree but it is until roon can provide an updated working version of roonServer.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.