Roon Core is Loading Very Slowly

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Recently, I was adding a few albums to my personal library on my Win 10 music server. When I launched Roon on the server to update/syncronize my Roon Core, I noted that Roon was very slow to load. I’ve noticed the same sluggishness since your launch of v.1.8 and it seems to be getting worse rather than better. The playback Controller is not that different from the previous version, but the Core really is sloooooow.

Do you have any recommendations? Are you all working on this at your end?

Thanks and regards,
Lon

Hi,

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

2 Likes

Dear Carl,

I’ve described my set-up to Roon several times since subscribing. There have been no changes to my system components or the network. I urge you to review the details from previous correspondence.

I can summarize briefly here:
Music server running Roon Core is an HP workstation, Windows 10
Network is Ethernet connected via Cat 6a (LAN is high speed, stable)
I utilize a dedicated iPad Air (3rd Gen) as my Roon Controller (via either my 5G or 2.5G network, again stable)

I have had no changes, except for Windows 10 auto-updates, to either the hardware or the network. And, I’ve only added around eight albums to my library since this Roon sluggishness has commenced. It really began upon my adopting Roon v. 1.8.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Lon

Carl,

It’s been a few days. Can you have someone respond? Prior to the update to 1.8, Roon ran very smoothly and was quick to open. Now, it’s very sluggish even though my music library hasn’t grown that much, nor has the system changed - just the update to 1.8.

I’d appreciate help.
Thank you,
Lon

Hi @Lon_Baugh ,

Thanks for reaching out!

When you say that Roon is slow to load, can you please provide some more details regarding this? Are you stuck on the “jellyfish” loading animation? Do you see your albums but nothing can be clicked? Does the app itself take a long time to appear to open?

What is the current size of your library in terms of tracks / albums?

Noris,
Upon launching Roon, I see the jellyfish image
for a very long time, much longer than prior to 1.8 (I’m on Build 831 64 bit).
Lon

1 Like

Hi @Lon_Baugh ,

Thanks for those additional details! We can take a look at logs to see if we have further clues as to what is going on. Can you please:

1. Have Roon closed
  2. Reproduce the issue / wait for Roon to finish loading
  3. Exit out of Roon as soon as it load
  4. Navigate to your Roon logs by using these instructions to access them
  5. Upload them here:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Thanks!

Noris,

I’m stuck. I don’t find a folder with the Roon app. Following is what I see when I drill down in the C: drive:

I’m not a database guy, so I haven’t the foggiest of how to get the logs you are requesting.

Lon

Hi @Lon_Baugh ,

If you type in %localappdata% in the Windows Explorer header, it will redirect you to the location where Roon is installed. Please send us a copy of the Roon/Logs folder:

Noris,
I circled back to attempt to send logs, but my music server running Roon doesn’t have an email client and I’m not installing one as I’m keeping the machine as “clean” and simplified as possible (a chore since it’s running on Win 10 Pro). Anyway, I imagine I’m not the only one experiencing the sluggishness I’ve described and I also imagine that folks on your team can replicate the sluggishness. I hope you all can do something about it - it’s a pity and the earlier version of Roon ran so smoothly…

Regards,
Lon

Can’t you copy / transfer the Roon log files to another computer and then use that computer to send them to Roon. Alternatively, assuming the Roon machine has a browser, upload them to WeTransfer.com

No. I’ve had no luck and am not a database or computer guru. I just hope that your team can replicate and address the sluggishness…

1 Like

Hi @Lon_Baugh ,

You do not need any email client, you can upload directly to the link I’ve pasted earlier:

Thanks!

I uploaded the log as you requested. Now, following a Roon update pushed out to me tonight, (Build 880), none of my albums display. And Roon is even slower to open up following this update. Prior to v 1.8, I had absolutely no sluggishness, cut-outs or other problems. How do I revert to the earlier version so that I don’t have to continue experiencing these problems? (The prior version was perfectly acceptable to me; this is not.)

Now, after closing Roon Core and restarting the computer, when I attempt to open Roon, all that displays is the jellyfish (I’ve given it more than 10 minutes and it’s not proceeding past the opening screen with the jellyfish.)

Again, I’d really prefer to revert to the previous Roon Core version as I had no problems with it. As this is, it is impossible to use.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Lon

Noris,

I have just sent you an additional log, following the last unsuccessful attempt to get Roon Core to fully launch (as happened just a while ago, the app initiates a launch and the jellyfish is all that happens; I waited almost 10 minutes again prior to closing the app.) I hope you can get something useful from the logs I’ve sent you.

Lon

Noris,

I just sent you a third log. My Roon Core is now completely inoperative (it just initiates loading and then the black screen with the oscillating jellyfish displays indefinitely).

I would appreciate a prompt review and solution. My previous concerns about slow opening were one thing - the app now not opening at all are a whole different level of concern…

I look forward to your help.
Lon

I realize that you all are working hard with all the problems following the push-out of Build 880 (pretty disastrous). I’m hoping that you may be able to respond to my help request and the logs I’ve sent as we’ve been trying to resolve this sluggish performance (now no performance), for quite some time now. Again, I’ll ask - is there any way that you (or I) can revert to an earlier version? (This may also help the many, many who appear to be writing in with their problems with Build 880; and I’d honesty prefer to simply go back to the latest build you had of v 1.7 since it was so much faster and better than v 1.8 has been (even aside from this Build 880 problem).

I’d sure appreciate a response.

Thank you and all the best as you work through the issues…
Lon

1 Like

Hi @Lon_Baugh ,

Thanks for sending the logs over, the log traces look like an issue we are currently investigating.

Can you please upload your Roon database (the entire Roon folder) that exhibits this issue to the following location and let us know afterward?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/external/a19e1a3e142148c88fcafb92ad7b4380726dbf75c0c99335316b2f1ee7e2a2f3

Thank you.

Noris, please see if the upload was successful (198.3 MB for the “Database” folder within the Roon Folder). I’m trying a second time, just in case…(the upload gets to around 85%, then slows down considerably - nope, “Upload failed. Please try again.” displayed the second time as well…tried third time - same result; I hope you can get what you need from whatever uploaded.)

Is it simply too large for your uploader? (or is it giving me that failure message, but you can view it?)

FYI, I will be away from the music server after today for the holidays, but I’ll check in with you when I return if you haven’t responded with a solution by that time. (I’ve owned three technology companies that provided software-based services; so I know firsthand the angst and turmoil surrounding de-bugging a new release - all the best to you and your team as you work through the solution. It will come!)

Lon

2 Likes

Hi @Lon_Baugh ,

We have just released Roon Build 882 which contains some fixes regarding restoring databases with your error type. Can you please give the updated build a try and let us know if it resolves the issue for you as well? :slight_smile: