Roon Core is Loading Very Slowly

No, there’s no real downside to having your music files on a separate SSD in your server. You’re running W10, so that’s not an issue. Roon OS requires that music files be on a separate drive from the Roon application and OS, but that’s not the case for Windows.

Since they are music files, they could equally be held on a HDD, the increased speed of an SSD doesn’t matter for music files (it is essential for the Roon database).

I use a USB-attached HDD for my music files backup. That way I can keep it off-site in case something happens to my music server.

Geoff,

All of this information is very helpful. I’m currently changing out the drives for the music server and will implement Roon as we’ve discussed here upon completion with the hardware changes.

After I’ve had an opportunity to live with the new set-up a while, I’ll check back in (unless I need to sooner with any issues I encounter in the meantime).

Thank you again and kind regards,
Lon

Hello Lon,
I switched to Geoff’s suggested setup months ago after the entire system had gotten too slow to enjoy. Now everything runs smoothly and so much faster. I hope it works for you.

Thank you. That sounds promising and I appreciate your sharing your experience…

Dear Support:

I took your advice and loaded RoonServer onto my music server and successfully connected to it via Roon on my laptop over my LAN. I’ve had one of my sound system components in for repair for several weeks now and as I’m presently attempting to connect to the Roon Core from my laptop, I’m finding that the RoonServer does not appear to be launching on my music server. I clicked on my desktop icon for RoonServer just like normal, but Roon on my laptop gets stuck attempting to connect to the Roon Core; it never connects. Then, when I look at the Task Manager to see what apps are running on the music server, RoonServer is not shown as running.

How do I get RoonServer to properly launch?

Alternatively, I’m not adverse to deleting it from the music server and installing it fresh, re-creating the music DB and, overall, starting over if that is easier than troubleshooting; but I need a summary of the steps I must take to do this…

UPDATE:
I uninstalled RoonServer on my music server (including all associated DB) and installed a fresh instance.

Now, I’m receiving the following on my laptop when I attempt to connect to the Roon Core associated with the fresh instance on the music server:

It’s stuck interminably on “Connecting”

Can you please help?

Thanks,
Lon

Hey @Lon_Baugh,

Which device are you using as a Roon core, your laptop or your music server? From your account, I see that your Windows 10 laptop is currently being used as your core, and was online recently. Are you still running into errors?

If so, I would first confirm that all your devices are on the same network subnet within your local network. I’d also give your router a reboot if they are on the same subnet already. Please confirm and let me know, thanks! :+1:

Ben,

My set-up is using my Windows 10 music server as Roon Core via Roon Server. Then, I’m using my Windows 10 laptop with Roon to launch the Roon Core. I’m including the aforementioned just to keep things clear - while I’ve been waiting for a response, I had already rebooted the router after reloading a fresh instance of Roon Server and proper connections were achieved. I think I’m now up and running - we’ll see…