Roon core is not connecting to Bluesound Vault 2 & Node 2

@noris
Hi there. The router has not yet arrived but is due here in the next day or two. I did disconnect all the WiFi adapters except the direct hardwired line but the Vault 2 did not show up. That is the strange part, both the PC and the Vault 2 are hardwired into the same router but it did not show up.

@noris
I just got an email - the new router will be here tomorrow. I am leaving for the weekend on Friday morning, but I will try to hook it up tomorrow night and see how it works out.
R

1 Like

@noris
The X6 arrived. I am setting up BlueSound, so far I have one Node 2 and the Vault 2 operational and I am working on the second node. Once I get that, I will switch over to Roon and see about getting that to work. I am leaving tomorrow and won’t be back until Sunday night, but I will send a note and give you an update for Monday am.

@noris
I have BlueSound running on both Node2’s now. I am online, so things are looking up. The X6 has all white lights up front, so that is good. I was even able to make a the Vault 2 and both Nodes work as a single group, which I haven’t been able to do before. But, nothing shows up on Roon. I then ungrouped the devices, restarted Roon, and tried again. Still not there. I tried to Roon on my phone but I got a message stating that “Roon has stopped” - I am not sure what that means. I’ll play with this a bit more tonight but unless something earth shattering happens, this is where it is at. You mentioned it might be a firewall problem? It’s a new router, so maybe we should revisit that again?

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

Glad to hear that the X6 has arrived and is operational. I just want to confirm here, you have connected your Core, your Vault2 and Node2’s via Ethernet to the Nighthawk Router and it’s still not being detected in Roon?

The Nighthawk should not have any firewall settings that needs to be applied and since they’re not showing up with the new Router this makes me believe that something could be affecting your Core machine itself blocking the connection or the subnet for the BlueOS devices are different than the subnet of the Core machine.

Can you please also send us the updated BlueSound logs after this Router change as you have done before? This will give us another data point:

Please let me know your findings when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
Hi there! I am at work but I thought I would answer some of the questions. There is a hardwire Ethernet connection between the Core - my PC - and the Vault 2 connected at the X6. The Vault 2 does not show up in Roon. The Node 2’s is still wireless, I’ll bring a long Ethernet cable home, connect the Node 2, and try it Sunday evening.
BTW, after I sent you that note last night I tried to update the second Node 2 firmware, since there is an update available. It stated it I was not connected to the Internet, which is weird since I was connected and online. The two Nodes were on the network and I had played music through them, so that message makes no sense to me.
I’ll send the logs to you Sunday night as well.
Robert

Tell me again how to upload the file directly to your servers?

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

I wanted to check in with you here and see if you have had a chance to submit the BlueSound logs from your devices with the instructions listed in my last private message? Can you please upload the logs when you have a chance?

Have you been able to update the firmware on all of your BlueSound devices and are still running into the same issue? I would try connecting the BlueSound devices via Ethernet as previously mentioned to verify if they show up properly and only afterwards attempt to switch to WiFi. Please let me know your results when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

@noris
The BlueSound logs are uploaded. I’ll try the Ethernet cable connection today and let you know. I am not sure if the Node 2 needs an upgrade. The Vault 2 is up to date, with the Nodes I get a message stating to try again later. I have a dental appt this morning but will recheck when I get back.

1 Like

@noris
This is interesting. I tried disconnecting the network cable from the back of the PC and then doing a search for network devices but Roon didn’t find anything.
Then, I linked the Vault 2 in Windows manually as a shared network drive as V:. Finally, I was able to open the the V drive in Storage in Roon. However, that does not show up in Audio when I do a scan for network devices.
As for checking for updates, I still get the message stating the Nodes cannot be updated at this time and to try again later. It has been this way all day. I am on the WWW though, I can send messages through Slack and get real time Stock data. So I don’t know what that message is all about. Usually, if there is an update, it asks and it updates if I click yes.
I did buy a two Ethernet cables, one 50 foot and one 100 foot for both Nodes. I have the Hometheater Node connected in a hardwire configuration and the Big Stereo is still wireless. BlueSound found the devices, although it had a bit of a problem at first with the Home Theater Node. Eventually, if figured out it was there and I can play music through it. But nothing shows up on Roon. The Vault 2 is still in Roon as storage.
Today, the Eithernet DSL access has been spotty. Sometimes I can get on the network and other times I can’t. I finally gave up on the DSL network and got on the network using my phone as a WiFi hotspot.
I am at a loss as to what to do.
Robert

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

I have just received the report back regarding your BlueSound logs and unfortunately we were not able to ascertain anything useful from them since they seem to be filled with errors regarding logging into iHeartRadio. As to why the Nodes are not able to be updated, you should contact BlueSound support regarding that question:

If you would like, you can also send them a link to this thread and ask them their thoughts on what could be going on for your setup, they may be able to enable deeper diagnostics tools for your BlueSound devices as there seems to be general instability from your report even through the BlueSound App.

I have also requested my colleagues to take another look at this case and I will let you know if they have any other suggestions that we may have initially missed. Please let me know if you get a chance to speak to BlueSound support regarding the firmware updates and their take on this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
I will send BlueSound a note and ask for help. However, there are definitely network issues here. I rebooted my system today and now everything seems different. The Netgear wireless is nowhere to be found. I rebooted the DSL router and Netgear router but that did not help. So, I turned everything off and ran some errands and came back some hours later, turned everything back on, but nothing has changed.
I did setup the Ethernet hardwire connection through the Netgear router so the PC, Vault2, and Home Theater Node is connected via the Ethernet hardwire. BlueSound found the equipment and I can play music via hardwire Ethernet but Roon did not find anything. Wireless is definitely not working at the moment. Also, Netgear did a firmware upgrade late this afternoon, however that was well after I started having problems. Bottom Line is I have a wireless network problem and whatever problem Roon has I am pretty sure it has something to with the network rather than a firewall or antivirus issue.

@noris
I uploaded two more diagnostic files, this time with the Ethernet cable connection. One is for the Vault the other is for the Node.
BTW, I have no idea why BlueSound was trying to connect to iHeartRadio - I have never used that service!

@noris
Here are the file names - NADM32_BLUOS_LOG_NODE2_Home_Theater (1).txt and NADM32_BLUOS_LOG_VAULT2 (1).txt

@noris
Ah-ha! The plot thickens! The BlueSound Tech guy indicated this is a network problem on my end. I am working through that now and will report here. I am willing to bet that the network is the source of the Roon problem.

@noris,
I spent this afternoon trying to sort out this network problem. I had to do a factory reset on the router, then things started working again. I also think I may have narrowed down the problem. In the past, my cell phone could get on the network, now I get a “Netgear page block error” so my cell can’t get on. Even though my cell had access before and the password and network name is the same. I suspect Roon is having the same problem.
I sure hope we can fix this - BlueSound OS is really piss poor and from what I see in Roon, it is really what I need.
R

@Noris
I have made progress. I opened up my firewall and set up file sharing for items on the network. Therefore, anyone on the Netgear wireless network can now access, read, and write to files on any shared drive. Bingo! The Vault 2 and the Big Stereo Node 2 popped up on Roon! I have no idea why the Home Theater Node 2 isn’t there, though. I’ll work on that.
R

@Noris
More Progress - I had to link Vault 2, Home Theater Node 2, and Big Stereo Node 2 in the BlueSound app together, then Roon only displayed Vault 2 so the Big Stereo Node 2 disappeared. However, I can now play music through the Home Theater Node 2.
Roon on my phone continues to give me an error stating Roon has stopped. Can only one Roon app be operational at one time? That is, is it possible for me to set up some music on the PC Roon and then control it later via the phone app Roon? It might be a network access problem, since my phone states I am connected to Netgear but most of my phone apps don’t have internet access.

Hello Robert_De_Mattei,

Thanks for updating me on your progress. This is certainly a strange issue and most likely networking related since you mention that your phone apps are not working properly either.

Yes, Roon should be able to see all of your BlueSound devices at the same time and control them through the Core or the Roon Remote app on your phone.

I am wondering if it is possible that you have a bad Ethernet cable somewhere in the mix, likley between the ATT UVerse Modem to the Router. I would try replacing the cable as the next step here.

If things are still not working as expected, you may want to perform a factory reset on the Modem and try it without bridge mode (but still leave everything connected to your Netgear Router including the WiFi for your phone and any wireless BlueSound devices)

The BlueSound logs that you have submitted show general network instability as well, something in this setup is blocking multicast from properly happening and this is why you are seeing all kinds of issues. Is Netgear X6 Router you purchased is a new one and not a refurbished or used one? Please let me know if any of my above suggestions help here.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
I did try to replace the Ethernet cable from the X6 to the DSL Modem. The one I replaced was the yellow one that came with the X6; I had a black one that I never used so I swapped that in. There is no change.
I did press the reset button in the back of the DSL Modem but unfortunately now I have no internet access. My cell can act as a Wifi Hotspot, so that is how I am online at the moment. I need to scroll up here and figure out how to put the DSL Modem back into bridge mode.