Roon core is not connecting to Bluesound Vault 2 & Node 2

@noris
Well, things are worse now. A few hours ago I was playing music through Roon, but now Roon cannot find anything. Remember the Vault 2 is hardwired to the X6 Router so if I do not link all three together in BlueSound, then Roon will find the Vault. If I link them, then it finds nothing but a few hours ago that was the only way I could play music through Roon was linking them in BlueSound. Whatever happened when you had me do a reset on the DSL modem, screwed everything up. That being said, I can access the net now via the X6 and DSL Modem. BlueSound still cannot access any upgrades. BlueSound can play music through the systems, just not Roon.
I connected the Home Theater Node 2 via the hardwire Ethernet connection and it did find both the Vault 2 and the Home Theater Node 2. I ma playing music through the Node 2 via my back up hard drive, it is not playing from the Vault 2. Is there a way to link music from the Vault 2 and play from that rather than the backup hard drive? The Vault 2 does show up in Storage, btw.
So, my plan for another day, is to redo the DSL Modem and reset Bridge mode according to the bridge mode instructions you sent me. I did that a little while ago but something is not quite right. Otherwise, I have no idea what to try next. I am not a network engineer and unfortunately my son, who is one, lives in Colorado.

@noris
I did get a reply from BlueSound. My FW on all the units is 2.18.2 and the current FW Ver for all the units is 3.0.0. I’ll try to update this manually, as they gave me some instructions on how to do this.
R

Hey @Robert_De_Mattei – Noris was discussing this issue with myself and our technical team earlier today and I wanted to just make sure we’re clear about what we know here, and what we need to do to localize this problem and resolve it.

So, clearly something in your network is not working properly. I understand you’ve already upgraded your router, which is a good start as I know we’ve seen some issues with those UVerse routers.

Since you’re still seeing issues, it’s clear we’re missing something here, and so we need to understand why your network isn’t functioning like thousands of other networks running similar setups without issue.

It’s also possible that we’re dealing with multiple problems here, which would explain some of the confusing results you’re seeing while troubleshooting, like similar problems with two different routers, or issues with your phone connecting when neither Roon nor Bluesound is involved.

I know Noris may have already walked you through some of these possibilties, but I wanted to list them here again, just so we have a comprehensive list to work through:

• The UVerse router is still causing issues – if the new router is set up properly, your network should be segmented and the new router should be managing everything, including distributing IP addresses, dealing with DNS, etc, but if things are not configured properly that would explain why you’re still seeing the old issues with the new router – one way to test this would be to take the network offline, turning the uVerse router off and running with just the new router

• It’s possible something is defective with the new router – if you’re experiencing basic connectivity issues (like with your phone) you may want to get in touch with Netgear

• If you are doing any kind of configuration with these routers (or any other networking settings, like static addresses) I would recommend trying to set everything to factory defaults – the fact that this issue has persisted across multiple routers points to some kind of configration issue so if there’s anything you can think of let us know

• If Wifi is involved at all, try connecting everything over Ethernet or changing channels on your router

• I don’t think you’ve tried testing with a different Core device, but if possible this is a great test to help localize the issue, even if you have to temporarily borrow a friends laptop to run for an hour or two

Noris will be able to continue working with you on this issue, but I just wanted to provide some ideas about how to work around what is clearly a very strange set of symptoms. Generally, when people upgrade from the ISP router to a consumer model, these kinds of issues simply go away – that they haven’t points to some factor we havent considered yet, so I’d enocourage you to look over the suggestions above, and let Noris know if anything rings a bell.

Based on what we’re seeing in the Bluesound logs, and what you’ve mentioned about connectivity with your phone, this is clearly a networking issue (as opposed to something specifically related to Roon) but I’m absolutely confident we’ll be able to nail this down by methodically working through the possibilities. We appreciate your patience Robert.

@noris
I think Mike may have nailed it. I tried this - “…if things are not configured properly that would explain why you’re still seeing the old issues with the new router – one way to test this would be to take the network offline, turning the uVerse router off and running with just the new router.”
I did that and bingo, all the BlueSound Components showed up on Roon via wireless and I started playing music immediately. Interestingly, it is playing from the backup drive, rather than the Vault 2. I suppose that is okay - one is pretty much the same as the other, depending on the backup state. It would be nice if it would default to the Vault 2 since that device is designed for heavy access while the backup drive is just a basic USB drive and not an expensive one at that.
Once I did that, I could no longer access the WWW net. I fiddled around with it for a while and after a “very long” eventually, the X6 came up with a configuration page and once I was through that, I am back online.
All is not perfect - I still can’t upgrade the BlueSound FW and I am working with BS on that. They did say that FW V3.0.0 has nothing to do with Roon. It appears that the only problem now is BS accessing the network, everything else is online. Well, that plus I am too chicken to power off and power back on!
I’ll let the system run like this for a few days before I try cycling power or rebooting anything. I will try to upgrade the FW though.

One other issue - Roon on my phone is still not working. The phone has logged onto the X6 wireless network okay, something it couldn’t do yesterday, but when I start Roon on the Android, I get an immediate message stating “Unfortunately Roon has stopped” and it give me a choice of “OK” or “Report it”. I did hit report it and let a note there.

@noris
Here is an update on my phone not running Roon. I asked my wife to load Roon on her phone and it came right up. Since my phone is about 4 years old, are they older android systems that won’t run Roon? If so, my phone must be right on the verge since my wife’s phone is only a few months newer than mine.

@noris
Update - Magically, late last night BlueSound suddenly discovered it could do an FW update. Roon was playing, so I stopped the music, then I clicked update and both Node’s disappeared from the BS controller and everything disappeared in Roon. The problem is, BS didn’t update the FW either. So, early this morning, I got BS to do another update and it did take. Both Nodes report having the latest 3.0.0 FW. In order to get the Nodes to show up in Roon, I had to do a soft reboot by selecting the reboot button in the BS controller. Recycling power did not do it, only the soft reboot did. So, Roon is working again! I’ll have to ask BS about the difference in rebooting the Nodes.

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

I just want to take a step back here and confirm where we’re at now.

• Since you have unconnected the ATT Uverse Modem from the Nighthawk Router, all the Bluesound devices properly appeared in Roon and you were able to play music to them.

• Then you connected the UVerse modem back to the Router and started seeing issues with processing the firmware updates on the Bluesound devices.

• After reconnecting the UVerse Modem, the BlueSound devices magically discovered that there is a firmware update and have managed to update all of your BlueSound devices to BlueOS 3.0

• The current state of Roon is that all of your Bluesound devices are showing up and are functioning properly regarding playing music but hard rebooting the Nodes causes them to not work again, and soft rebooting the nodes allows for proper function, you are checking with BlueSound regarding this behavior.

• Just to confirm once more, any issues you have in Roon and accessing the BlueSound devices through the BlueOS app is immediately resolved by unplugging the UVerse modem and leaving just the Router, correct?

If the above statements hold true and unplugging the UVerse modem resolves the issue then it is possible that something strange is going on with the UVerse Modem and I would try reaching out to ATT if this issue arises again.

After a few days of using this setup, please let me know how Roon is working and if you run into any other issues here.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
Yeah, that pretty much describes it. I did check with BlueSound and a soft reboot doesn’t flush the cache, while a hard reboot does - that might be the difference. Roon Remote does work on my wife’s cell phone but still does not work on mine. I don’t have a work around for that. I did delete it and reloaded it, tried rebooting the phone, nothing seems to fix that issue.
Also, “Magically”, is really the word to use here. The BlueSound app first stated no update is available just like it did the previous 20 or 30 times I tried it, then suddenly it stated an update is available. I grabbed it and ran.
I’ll try it as it stands for a week or so, then I’ll report back to you. Meanwhile, I’ll reach out to AT&T.

@noris
Update - Yesterday, I accidentally flipped the wrong circuit breaker and killed power to the Big Stereo Node 2. At the time, Roon was playing music through it. Roon was not able to find it when I turned it back on. I cycled power on the Node after it booted up but that did not have an impact. I went to BlueSound controller and it was there and I could play through it. I killed power to the AT&T modem, which in the past allowed Roon to find the audio devices, but that did not help. I powered up the AT&T modem and back to BlueSound, I found I had an update available. I updated all the players, but now Roon lost all three players. I did a soft reboot on each player and they came back online to Roon. Apparently, Roon still has trouble finding players on my network, especially after a firmware upgrade, as opposed to BlueSound. The system is now operational again after the soft reboot. Roon on my cell phone is still not operational. After I got the system up and running again, I reinstalled Roon Remote on my phone but I get the same error message - “Unfortunately, Roon has stopped.” Meanwhile, I am still waiting on AT&T for my modem service appointment.
R

@noris
About my Android phone, I really need to get Roon working on that. I keep getting the “Unfortunately, Roon has Stopped” error message as soon as I try to start it.
The PC is at the opposite end of the house for the Big Stereo and it is simply not practical to try and control Music from that when the Big Stereo is on. Do you have any suggestions?
I did uninstall Roon and reloaded Roon Remote. Is there a different Roon I should load for my phone?
Robert

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

Glad that you have been able to get Roon up and running after a soft reboot. At this time, the issues you are experiencing seem to be related to the modem you are using since disconnecting it allows Roon to function properly, so I would definitely see if AT&T have any suggestions regarding modem changes or a replacement.

As for the Android issue you are experiencing, I can confirm that our servers have received the diagnostics from that device and I have gone ahead and submitted them to QA for review. We are aware of a similar issue to the one you mentioned (Hiby R6 DAP - Roon App Crash) but it will be good to have QA confirm if this is the same behavior. Can you please let me know the model/manufacturer of your Android device?

While I do not have any timeline available to share, a ticket has been filed with our devs regarding some Android devices not operating Roon properly and that ticket is in our dev team’s queue to be looked at. I will be sure to let you know as soon as I hear any updates regarding the ticket but in the meantime it would be good if AT&T could take a look at the modem and confirm if there are any issues with it.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
The Android phone is a LG Flex. Clearly, the best phone I ever owned, which is why I still have it.
R

Hello @Robert_De_Mattei,

I have received the report back from QA but unfortunately there is not much information in the Logs as to why your LG Flex is unable to start Roon. Does the Roon Remote app crash every single time or does it sometimes work as well? If it crashes every single time, would it be possible for you to send us your adb logs from your device? I will PM you how to upload this file to our servers and you can use these instructions to send us your adb Android Logs:

1. Install Android SDK (on his Computer) from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html. Make sure platform-tools is included (http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/adding-packages.html).
  2. Enable USB Debugging on your device. Go to settings, applications, development and tick “USB Debugging”.
  3. Connect usb cable to the phone
  4. Go to the Android SDK directory (for example C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools)
  5. Type adb shell
  6. Type logcat (ref: http://developer.android.com/tools/help/logcat.html)
  7. Reproduce this crash let terminal print logs for 30 seconds more and send us the output from the terminal with the timestamp of the crash

This following article may also be useful for the above instructions: https://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how-to-install-and-use-abd-the-android-debug-bridge-utility/

Also, QA has noted again that there is network instability present in the diagnostics info, has ATT by any chance taken a look at your Modem yet? It is possible that the network instability is compounding the issue of your Android Remote not working properly so I would definitely ask ATT to take a look at what could be going on with the network.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
AT&T stopped by today. They did a remote FW update on the modem early this morning, then sent a service guy out to check things out. This is unrelated to Roon, but the bottom line is I will never get more than 1.5 Mb/s internet service since I am so far away from their hub. That doesn’t explain why internet service is so slow now when it wasn’t before, but they aren’t going to change anything since they found nothing wrong with the modem or WiFi. I am looking at other options for internet service at the moment, but the bottom line is they found nothing wrong with their modem or the service here.
That was a disappointment.
R

Hello Robert_De_Mattei,

Sorry to hear that the ATT tech has not uncovered the issue and apologies about the continued difficulties here.

There is definitely something strange regarding the modem or network connection and I am now wondering if the Nighthawk and Uverse are having IP conflicts, I propose that we try a test where we change the subnet that your Nighthawk is using to see if it improves things. You can use these instructions as a guide to access the configuration page of the Nighthawk.

Under where it says “LAN TCP/IP Setup”, I would change the IP Address field from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1. This change will provide a new subnet for your router and I would verify that the Starting IP Address field also reflects to 192.168.2.2 and the End IP Address field reflects to 192.168.2.254.

After making this change, I would be sure to double check that all of your devices are connecting to the Nighthawk network and not accidentally connecting to the ATT UVerse Modem. Just to reiterate here, the only device that should be connected to the AT&T modem is the Nighthawk router via Ethernet, and no other WiFi or Ethernet devices.

Please let me know if you are able to make this change and if it improves communication for your devices.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
Hi there, I’ve been away and just got back. I’ll try the recommendations you gave me next week since this Friday I am dumping AT&T and moving to Comcast for Internet service. AT&T bandwidth has been dropping significantly since the first of the year and the service guys who have been out say there is nothing they can do about it. Consequently, it is time to move on.
I’ll try the Android fix next week as well as I am in town only two days this week.
Thanks for the updates,
Robert

1 Like

@noris
Hi there, I am back and I fiddled with this today. A number of things have happened. First, I canceled AT&T and had Comcast come in and install their modem, so I am running internet on Comcast now using their modem. Internet is about 30x faster, based on my internet speed utility.
Once that was up I tried all morning to get BlueSound to come up on the new network although the phone, Squeezebox, and such came up right away. Vault 2 was hardwired in as usual so that was found when I entered the password there but the Nodes could not be found. I am suspicious that the Nodes never asked for a password, though. Finally, after working on this for nearly 4 hours, I gave up and put the new modem in bridge mode and connected up the Nighthawk router. The Nodes were found after a few reboots and power ups and the system is operational again. The phone is on the new network along with most everything else.
I did try starting Roon on the phone once it was on the new network and Roon was operational on the PC but I got the same error from my phone, “Unfortunately Roon has stopped”
I then went back to the suggestion you gave me about sending you the debug logs. I got as far as this part: " [quote=“noris, post:77, topic:48836”]
This following article may also be useful for the above instructions: https://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how-to-install-and-use-abd-the-android-debug-bridge-utility/
[/quote] "
None of what is said to do there appears on my system. For example, my Android development system is called System64 not adb. My Android development interface seems quite different that what was on the how to screen. So, I am at a loss of what to do next.
Suggestions?
Robert

Hello Robert_De_Mattei,

Glad to hear that you’re up and running with a new modem. I discussed with the team today regarding your Android phone displaying that message and it seems that the process of getting adb logs has changed and as such we would like to request clarification on the issue itself.

How exactly do you access the app causing the message to appear? Does this happen consistently when opening the Roon app or does it only happen when you have Roon running and open the app from the lock screen?

QA has noticed in the diagnostics that the app worked once before for a few hours, do you recall being able to access it properly? If you reboot your Android device, does the Roon app work at all then? What about if you leave the Android app open and restart the Core?

Please let me know your answer to the above when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris
Hi there. I got a Roon update yesterday for my Androd phone. In the past, if Roon is not running on the PC and I open it on my phone, I got the error message. I got the same message if Roon was running on the PC. Now with the update, it actually starts looking for the Roon Core. It doesn’t appear to find it if the Core is not running. I started the Core, it found it, and stated playing music. That last update seemed to get things working. It can’t find the playlists though. So are playlists strictly local or can they be accessed from any controller?