Roon Core not Finding Bluesound Node N130

Roon Core Machine

HP Desktop,
Intel(R) Core™ i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
32 GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

TP Link DECO Mesh WiFi
Desktop is on Ethernet to Primary DECO which is Ethernet to the Router
Bluesound Node is on Ethernet to Deco via TP Link Powerline
No VPN
360Mbps to both Desktop and Bluesound Node

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound Node connetced to Cambridge Audio DAC Magic via USB
DAC Magic to Sony Surround Amp STR-DA1080 to B&W N803s amd PV1 Subwoofer

Number of Tracks in Library

38128 Tracks

Description of Issue

Managed to setup my Roon to Bluesound Node, and linked to DAC Magic, sounded amazing, all worked perfectly. Disconnected everything to tidy it into cabinets and stow cables neatly, and now Roon doesn’t see the Node other than for Airplay.

If I use Tidal I can connect using Tidal Connect and it all plays perfectly (MQA perfect) which removes a lot of variables (sorry, I used by a Quality Engineer for Bowers an Wilkins…)

I’ve done a factory reset on the Node and made sure it’s on Ethernet and not WiFi. So it’s definitely not the DAC Magic, Desktop PC, Network, Cables etc.

As far as I can deduce it’s either Roon can’t see Node, or Node can’t see Roon, but software is not my forte, so now I’m stuck. Any suggestions on what to try next please?

It’s the latest firmware on the Node unfortunately

1 Like

@Martin_Boys, welcome to the Community. Just a fellow user here. There may be a few options to address what you are experiencing.

First, Bluesound has had issues with firmware 3.20.45 being able to see Roon. I see that .46 was released, but it is not clear in the release notes that this addresses the Roon problem. I am not a Bluesound user, but I believe .28 was stable with Roon and as long as you don’t need to connect new NAD or Bluesound devices, it may be worth checking what firmware is on the Node and re-install .28 if it is on something different.

Second, can you confirm that the Node is on the same IP network as the Core? What is the LAN IP address of the Node and what is the LAN IP address of your Core? And can you confirm the Powerline connection works? Powerline connections tend to be a weak point in home networks, but that does not mean it cannot work reliably.

1 Like

That is probably the issue. See…

1 Like

Thanks Robert, really good feedback.
I thought I’d attached this photo, as I knew it’s often a weak link, but pleasingly the PowerLine has been working perfectly. I only have 360 Mbps Broadband, so I’m happy with that :slightly_smiling_face:

Both are on the same Network Number (198.168.4.65 Core 198.168.54 Node) and hasn’t changed since it was working perfectly.

I think you’re probably right about the Firmware from everything else I’ve read. Can’d find a way to roll it back unfortunately. Even factory reset doesn’t :frowning:

Thanks for your help though :+1:

Thanks for your reply. Certainly looks to be the issue. I’m concerned that that post was 21 days ago, and still not fixed. I’ll leave it as long as I can, but might have to return it under warranty if it’s not fixed within a month. Shame as it’s a cracking piece of kit :frowning:

At least if there was a way to install the previous Firmware, that would be a good containment solution.

Exactly this workaround is discussed in the thread that was linked

1 Like

If you go to the Bluesound Forum, you’ll see that they recommend filing a support ticket with Bluesound. One of their techs will walk you through the process of rolling your firmware back to a previous version.

2 Likes

Concerningly I contacted Bluesound on their live chat, and they said it’s definitley not the Firmware, and got me to do a load of other newtork things to clear the cache, which did nothing.

I’ve sent them an email and hopefully I’ll get a better response.

If they don’t help, then I’ll give the rollback a try myself, but I’m a bit nervous of invalidating the warranty in case I need to send it back. I’m sure it’ll be fine, but I’d rather Bluesound did it than risk it myself…:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m curious as to why re-booting the Roon Core machine would help. Still have the same firmware in the Node. There must be some kind of discovery initialization process that is winding up in the wrong state.

1 Like

If you hit a first-level CSR, all they know is to read a script (“did you try turning it on and off?” kind of thing). You’d need to get this escalated to someone who actually knows what they are doing.

1 Like

So the good news is that I managed to roll back the Firmware and it all worked perfectly.
But it only lasted about 30 minutes, then Roon lost it again, while still on the old Firmware.

I then updated it back to the new Firmware, and after a few hours it did the same again.
What’s also concerning is that on Roon the sound quality was awful, kept dropping out of MQA, clicks, pauses, etc. But on Tidal Connect it’s absolutely perfect, so the sound quality isn’t because of the Node (even if losing contact with Roon is). Not sure of the next step now…

Trying to decide if I get a different Network Bridge and hope it works properly with Roon, Tidal and my DAC Magic…
Or if I stick with the current setup and wait patiently for both Bluesound and Roon to fix their elements of the problem…

I’ll continue looking at options, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

I’d hate to wait too long to return the Node, and find that it never works properly with Roon, as the whole point was being able to play my collection from the Hard Drive as well as Tidal MQAs.

How well does your powerline connection works?

Does it play network sources well through the Bluesound app? Can you connect it to your music library using Bluesound and see if it can pull files at decent speed?

While Bluesound’s QA is… woefully inadequate, I’d say, at least around Roon, it should work well enough (I have several devices here that all play well with Roon, even on WiFi and latest firmware) so something is off. Maybe you could connect a laptop to the powerline output Node currently uses and see how the connectivity looks to the rest of your network?

Hi @Martin_Boys ,

Sorry to hear that the rollback of firmware did not help in this case.

Do you by any chance have any network shares active on your Node? There was the other issue of pops/static when users had network shares enabled, please see the below thread:

I’m having the same issue. It’s not your network connection. Over the last few weeks, the sound from Roon to the Node N130 has been terrible featuring dropouts galore. Other than that, Roon is streaming just fine to my multiple Bluesound endpoints.

I no-longer believe this to be a Bluesound issue.

I just read a post in the Roon Users group on Facebook. A gentleman is having issues with his Lab 12 DAC. Roon no-longer sees it. Further, I have bypassed my N130 and connected my Gustard A26 Streamer/DAC to my network via ethernet. Playing through Roon directly to the DAC and there are still dropouts albeit not as frequent. Perhaps every 3-5 seconds whereas, via wifi to the Node, they were constant.

Just because someone has a problem with device A does not mean that there can’t be an unrelated problem with device B

Maybe you have a network issue in addition to the known and acknowledged BluOS issue

I don’t have any network issues.

Yeah, i said maybe. Anyway there is some issue that you have, and maybe it’s not the same BluOS issue that was acknowledged by Blusound, or you have it in addition to that.

If you are having dropouts on different devices, connected differently, with your network being the common thing, how do you jknow that you do not have any network issues?

Are you doing any upsampling or processing in Roon?