Roon core on QNAP TS-473A is unstable

Roon Core Machine

Using the Roon Core on my QNAP TS-473A gives playback issues.
Roon from QNAP app store
CPU load is low +/- 10% Ram use is 40%
Playback device is an Esoteric DAC that worked fine when the core was running on my iMAC
Tidal is fine, but tracks that come from the RAID5 storage pool plays only for 10 seconds, starts to judder and then jumps to next track
Roon pops up with “an audio file is loaded slowly” (but then in Dutch :-))
If i play the same file from the iMac into VLC the song works fine.
The unit reaches 400Mb/s so should not be an issue.
MultiMedia Console, MinimServer is also installed.
Any thoughts

PeterT

Hi Forum,
I advised the above configuration as it works fine on my 4 year old TS-673.
I have installed 2 M2-Sata as storage pool 1 in raid-1
4 times an 8TB WD red pro in raid-5 as storage pool 2 that contains the audio files in a folder “music”
It has 8GB RAM
To me it sounds like a setting in the extensive OS from QNAP
I found somewhere that installing media server before Roon solved the problem but it didn’t

Any help is appreciated
Cheers
Another Peter

@Peter_Thoolen, I moved to the QNAP category where other users of QNAP NAS systems may be able to provide some guidance. If assistance still is needed from Roon’s Support staff, we can re-categorize it to the Support category.

I have a QNAP NAS TVS-672XT with my Roon core and library. I have experienced a similar issue. Rebooting my entire network fixed the issue, I do believe it was my Netgear Unmanaged Ethernet Switch causing the issue.

Thanks Stephen, we will try that.
Not sure if this is the problem as it worked fine when the iMAC (with an older external NAS) was used.
I think it is a setting in the QNAP, or the row-order in how things are setup.
Cheers.

Hi Forum,
Resetting all switches didn’t work.
So Roon running on an iMac pointed at the large storage pool on the new TS-473A is fine.
Running Roon on the NAS still makes it stop after a few seconds and then skipping to the next track.

Roon pops a message up saying "an audio file is being loaded slowly: this can be due to a hardware problem.

can somebody tell what is needed to run Roon nicely on QNap beside the ROON app itself?
Is Media Server needed?

Peter

You connect that to a USB port in Qnap?
Not sure if Qnap’s OS supports USB Audio and USB DACs. Maybe you should ask in qnap forums to verify?

No the DAC has an Ethernet connection. and is seen as a roon ready device.
I would expect there is more knowledge on Roon on QNAP here than on a QNAP forum, but worth a try.

Ah - then it’s another issue.
Something network related most likely

To me more and more it is an app on the QNAP issue.
Especially as Roon core on an iMac (on the same network) works fine

I have the 873A running Roon, and many clients on the network, but had no such issues.
I believe it’s some misconfiguration or other network issue, but you didn’t provide details on that:-/

I have the TS-673 running with no problems for 4 years, indeed it is misconfiguration of some sort but I do not know what I did wrong.
I made a M2-Sata volume Raid 1 of two disks and installed the database folder there.
The second volume are 4x 8TB WD Red pro in RAID5 that is happy streaming via the Roon Core running on the iMac.
what else is there to configure?

what is your network? I mean, how is everything connected?
1G/2.5G/10G/wifi, router etc?

everything wired with cable on a netgear switch. (reaching 400Mb/s)
Roon plays flawless when the core is on the iMac, so streaming from the new QNAP to the Esoteric controlled by the Roon Core on the iMac.
Just not via the Core on the QNAP

ok, 2 questions:
did you try another switch?
while you experience these issues, is there anything else connected to the qnap (eg movie streaming or file copying)?

No we did give all switches a reset, there are a few in the house, but the NAS and Esoteric DAC are cabled to the same switch
Nothing else is asking for anything from the NAS, the network port on the NAS shows a few KB of bandwidth. Processor is below 10%, RAM between 30 and 40%

hang on - did you try to play the same file from the Roon client in your iMac?

No, I have all the QNAP media software disabled. I also don’t use the preconfigured media folder/share for my local Roon audio library. But you may need to install the ffmpeg codec as the one from QNAP is crippled.

Where does the Core on the QNAP point to? Is he configured to use the local path to the music files or is he configured to use its own network share (I would try to avoid that)? Did you load a backup from the iMac Core that still points somewhere else and causes the trouble?

I don’t think that is needed for Roon (I didn’t install it)

Nice catch - these could create issues

It depends. Some media or metadata can’t be read/played back if it’s missing. It’s not a big file to install, I recommend to install it so you avoid potential issues and troubleshooting in the future.