Roon, could you please get the basic usability stuff out of the way whilst you blaze new trails

It’s not up to the user community to compile a manual, it’s up to the vendor.

Last I checked, I was paying Roon for their product, so it’s their task to document their product.

4 Likes

Which they do via the KB - and not via the traditional hardcopy manual.

Which I’m not happy with.

Basically it comes down to - again - search capabilities. Roon seems to assume everyone is happy to trawl around for specific information.

I want a means to find what I’m looking for in a fast and accurate way. This goes for music (especially music that isn’t in my library yet) and usability information.

Basic stuff: digital = fast. (or should be)

2 Likes

Would a nice ‘compromise’ not be possible by a kindof (automatic) indexing of the KB.
I do not know anything of this stuff, but I cannot believe there are no tools/programs available that can automatically build (and maintain) an index out of all the articles in the KB.
I personally have no issue in searching in the KB, except that sometimes you do not know what you are looking for. An index can definitely help, and sometimes helps you to find (guess) a keyword that you are looking for (but did not know)
Dirk

2 Likes

The KB has a perfectly serviceable search facility.

Hi Tim
I wish a could agree with you but no so long ago I tried to (re-)discover an explanation of ‘Performances’

Only by clicking on the image (icon), I see this is about Performances

I do not find the exact name of the Image (Icon) and searching the KB on ‘Performances’ does not bring up an explanation about this topic. I am still looking so I will be gratefull if you can provide me a link.

This is just one example, but there are others. In this case, I do not know if an index would help, but it definitely would be quicker, and probably more precise (an non-existing index is also ‘precise’)

Dirk

Of course the search cant help you if the KB is missing the content you need. But that is a different question to the one that was posed about finding what you are looking for in a ‘fast and accurate way’.

And again, an index can help a lot in achieving that.
And as said, there (most probably) are programs availble thay can automatically build and maintain such an index.

2 Likes

Im not sure I understand what you mean. The search is an index. That’s how it searches! It is just an index of words/content that you cannot see directly but which is held in db somewhere. Surely you dont mean just having a huge list of hyperlinked words picked out of the KB displayed on a webpage do you?

I certainly do, in nice alphabetic order.

There sort of are and they are all terrible. Hence why search, currently, rules the roost.

Here we go:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/s/performance%20count

2 Likes

Thank you very much
Dirk

Personnaly, I would prefer to have the permanent presence of the volume slider, somewhere on the screen, to have one operation instead of 2 (check the volume button and then slide the volume) to manage the volume.
This could be more efficient for this function often used function

Not so great idea imho. The additional click is very helpful to avoid accidents espescially on touchscreen devices.

1 Like

It would be useful to be able to filter the streaming service results of an artist search by label. Pre-1964 releases in Europe are in the public domain and hence there are thousands of releases for some artists. We need to be able to filter these to find the ones by the original label.

1 Like

I often get “Error loading save page” when I use the back button. Also, my history often won’t display. It has gotten ever so slightly better, i.e. rarer, in the latest version but it seems strange that it persists at all.

What has been driving me crazy since getting a Fire HD 10 (2019 model) and using that as my primary controller is that when I’m listening to an album and the Fire goes back to sleep, when I unlock and Roon reloads/reconnects instead of showing the album I last pulled up (and am usually listening to at the time), the main part of the window is completely empty and there is no back button meaning I either have to search again to get back where I was or I have to open the queue (if it’s still playing) touch the artist name, then album.

Why the hell does the currently-viewed album disappear and the back button with it?? That doesn’t happen in the desktop application EVER. It’s so unnecessarily frustrating.

2 Likes

It’s the polish that’s missing, lots and lots of polish.

2 Likes

I have no idea if this is helpful, but would Settings > Setup > Keep screen awake work?