Roon Crashes after ~15 mins of playback, cannot restart - Dell laptop/Windows 11

Roon Core Machine

Dell G7 laptop

Windows 11

Device name DESKTOP-AL5A22N
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID 699E1661-031A-42F7-B9BD-93D788A86AC2
Product ID 00325-82065-75799-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Roon fails to boot up. Why? It worked last night.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Motorola M8870 modem
Connected via Ethernet from NAS to Reclocker to RPI to DAC.
No VPN
Core controls Roon via WiFi.

Connected Audio Devices

USB out of NAS to Reclocker, Optical out of Reclocker to DAC, analog XLR to McIntosh MX151 pre-amp section

Number of Tracks in Library

Est at around 2500

Description of Issue

Roon won’t boot up. Downloaded new copy, installed, still won’t boot up.

Has there been a windows Update installed in the last 24 hours? Check in Settings > Windows Update > Update history.

Yes, an update occurred earlier this morning. Settings information is as follows:

2023-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based systems (KB5030219) Successfully installed on 9/13/2023

OS Build 22621.2283

On 9/12/2023 2023-09 Cumulative update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 48.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2, for x64-based systems (KB503217) successfully installed on 9/12/2023

Hmm - I have exactly the same build of Windows and the .NET Framework on my Windows 11 PC, and not experiencing any issue. I think you’re going to have to wait for your issue to be looked at by @support. They have a queue system and a bit of a backlog at the moment - sorry.

1 Like

Hi @Michael_Kahut

I’m just a fellow Roon user.

I’ve added “Dell Windows 11” to your threads title to see if other Windows 11 users who may have experienced similar can chime in to help.

With your Dell laptop, is this also you Roon control device or do you use a phone or tablet with Roon Remote?

Do you get an error code?

Or does it just stop at a white screen or Roon logo?

I imagine you’ve done a full reboot (shutdown, power removed, boot up).

Here are a few handy helper tips.

Come back here to report on how things go.
@Geoff_Coupe has tagged support to help get Roon’s involvement.

Did the update ‘fiddle with” your video driver

Maybe try to install the OEM driver , it often works especially if the PC is behaving otherwise

1 Like

@AMT Thank you for the info! I’ll get started on this right away.

1 Like

@Mike_O_Neill Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I generated some logs over the weekend. I hope someone at Roon can help me with this issue. It is confusing as to why it won’t boot up after all the work put into finding the problem.

Actions to date:

1. Roon software delete and new copy download.
  2. Reset/ go back to prior update version.
  3. Change .NET Framework to prior verson.
  4. Uninstall/reinstall graphics driver from developer’s website.
  5. Installed exception in firewall for Roon server

@support can I get some help with this please? I submitted the logs some time ago.

Hey @Michael_Kahut,

Ben with the support team here, thanks for taking the time to write in and for your patience while our team navigates through each thread.

Following up on your issue, I was able to review a freshly pulled core diagnostic on your Windows 11 device. I’m not seeing any obvious issues and therefore curious to hear what your current status is.

Are you still unable to boot Roon up on the Windows 11? Does the same issue happen if you try installing Roon Server?

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Thanks for the reply @benjamin

I am pretty much at the same place. I’ve deleted and downloaded several more copies in the past week or so.

After I delete the old copy, download a new copy and build some playlists, I will press “Play” and the music starts. After playing 3 songs, or 14 minutes, or even over an hour it just stops playing and shuts off.

When I try to restart it the program I get a white box with the Roon speaker logo in the middle and nothing happens after that.

This is the same issue when I initially posted the fault and requested some assistance.

To date the following has been performed in addition to the repeated downloads and uninstalls of the software:

1. Reset/ go back to prior Windows version installed prior to update. All updates suspended pending resolution of the potential Win 11 conflict.
  2. Change .NET Framework to prior verson.
  3. Uninstall/reinstall graphics driver from developer’s website.
  4. Installed exception in firewall for Roon server

What I haven’t tried is stepping back to Windows 10. However, I will not attempt that unless it is recommended by support here at Roon, @benjamin

Thanks for any insight and assistance you can provide.

ps: oopssss…just as I type this Roon has shut down. White Windows box labeled Roon is visible but there is no content within the box.

Hey @Michael_Kahut,

Thanks for the update! We’re not able to connect to your core device currently, can you please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader?

I’d also right-click the Roon app icon on your Windows to confirm that the Windows compatibility setting has been turned off.

Let me know when you’ve sent those logs over. Thanks! :pray:

OK. Windows Compatibility settings have been turned off. I will upload the logs in a few minutes.

Thanks for the help!

Logs uploaded under my name.

Thanks @Michael_Kahut,

Our team will take a closer look! In the meantime, lets see if the issue continues on a fresh database:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

I’ll be on standby for your reply! :+1:

Completed the following:

Backed up database.
Exited Roon
Renamed database to Roon_old
Reinstalled Roon app

Created a new playlist and added some .flac files.

I am now listening to that playlist. Hopefully it won’t stop playing as it has done in the past.

More later.

I assume that I should create a new scheduled backup scheme as well?

After 2 hours Roon shut down and it will not reboot.