Roon crashes at launch if I have Discord open

Roon launches normally without discord open. With discord open, Roon crashes at launch every single time.

Hello @Michael_Belanger,

Thanks so much for getting in touch. We’re sorry about the trouble.

Could you please share a few more details about your Roon setup? Please, use this post as a guide for what information to share.

Your post should include:

• Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
    Windows 10, Ryzen 3700, latest roon build (updated yesterday)

• Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
    no remote being used.

• Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)
    wifi connection, router in next room - strong connection with no issues elsewhere

• Audio devices in use
    RME babyface pro ASIO

• Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)
    pCloud sync folder, local copies with a cloud backup/update

I would suggest you restart the PC at the very least and the DAC for completeness.

FYI Roon doesn’t recommend using a CORE machine via wifi but perhaps not the issue here.

Hi @Michael_Belanger, are you using any overlays or anything from Discord? I’ve tested using Roon and Discord at the same time and it seems to be okay here.

Is this something that has always happened, or did this just start happening recently?

Can you reproduce the issue once more and then use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service)? Thanks!

Upon further testing of my own, i discovered that the issue comes from using ASIO driver of the sound card, and every time discord is open it tries to switch audio device when i launch roon, which room is looking for the device to be exclusive, so it causes an audio driver access hangup(thats how i think it is happening).

I can default my audio device in discord to another and it seems to fix the issue.

I noticed also its not just discord, whenever an app causes my audio driver to hang up, i need to launch the totalmox software from RME which shows that signal peaked on every channel for a moment before going back down to 0, while no audio would be playing to me this indicated that the driver was crashed and the total mix software needed to be access to reset the driver access, and then roon could launch if no other software was accessing the audio driver

Hey @Michael_Belanger,

Thanks for not wasting a moment in sharing what you’ve discovered so soon after Dylan’s post. It is absolutely amazing to see your drive in finding a solution.

I was wondering if things have stayed the same, or, if we can help with anything else :nerd_face:

So sorry for missing out on your post for this long…

1 Like