Roon crashes on launch

Hi,

Roon application running core is crashing on launch. A few days ago Roon was working fine, but then it started crashing. I have restarted my iMac but it’s still not working.

Please can someone help me fix this.

• Core machine (Mac mini, OS 10.15.15, Roon 1.7 (Build 571))
  • Networking details (Mac mini and other devices are all connected to same WiFi network - Huawei 5G router)
  • Audio devices in use (Roon is installed on iMac and iPhone/iPad, which act as a remote control and also as streaming devices. Mac mini is connected to Naim DAC via Audiophilleo2)
  • Library details (50,000 lossess audio files reside on USB external hard drive connected to Mac mini)

Thanks,

Nick

Create a thread like this but in the support category.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Thanks Ged - I have switched the category and added more details about my setup.

1 Like

Hi @nickharambee,

Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

Library corruption? Hope you have backups, i.e. backups that are themselves not corrupted.

Hi Dylan,

Here’s a link to the logs on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/69uk4stlpoexc39/AAAiQ6wBMY5LRyV9iua_GQbga?dl=0

With Best Wishes,

Nick

Not sure if I have automatic backups enabled and can’t check as I can’t launch Roon. I have a backup from a few months ago. Am I right in thinking that, if I had set up automatic backups, I would have needed to choose the location for automatic backups?

Actually it looks like I have a backup from 27 July, which may just be before the issue emerged. It’s a folder called RoonBackups which looks like this:

How would I go about restoring this when I can’t open Roon?

Yes, via Settings==>Backups==>Schedule Backups.

If worse came to worse, you could install a completely fresh copy of Roon and restore from Settings==>Backups==>Find Backups

I’m not Roon support , so don’t do anything so drastic until @dylan gets back to you.

1 Like

Hi @Dylan. It’s now 5 days that I’ve been without music. I would really expect your technical support team to be addressing my issue more quickly than is turning out to be the case.

Hello @nickharambee, my apologies for the delay. We look a look at your log file and recommend the following:

1. Stop Roon on the remote
  2. Check PM’s for this step
  3. Remove Roon folder on the remote
  4. Remove Roon from applications
  5. Install a fresh version of Roon app

Hello @nuwriy

Thank you for your message. I am not clear from your instructions. When you say ‘remote’ are you referring to the Mac from which I am trying to play Roon, as opposed to the Mac mini which is running the Roon core?

1. Stop Roon on the remote

By this do you mean Quit the Roon application on the remote Mac?

1. Check PM’s for this step

Am I deleting this file on the remote Mac or the Mac mini running the Roon core?

1. Remove Roon folder on the remote

Which folder are you referring to here? What is the location?

1. Remove Roon from applications

On the Remote Mac or the Mac mini running the Roon core?

1. Install a fresh version of Roon app

Answer 4 should help me clarify this.

Please try to make your answers as clear as possible.

Nick

Hello @nickharambee,

If other remotes are working just fine, go ahead and do these steps on the remote. Thanks!

Hello @nuwriy

Please read my questions and answer them properly. You haven’t answered all questions with your one line response.

There was no file .rnsem5xx-roon in the tmp folder on the remote Mac. Only on the Mac mini which is running the core. I have deleted this. Still Roon doesn’t work on the Mac mini.

7 days now without music. I am not impressed!

Nick

I am totally confused as to what to do. You have said that I should remove my Roon folder. Which folder is this? You have also said nothing about how I restore my library once I have reinstalled Roon. Please be very specific in your responses.

Nick

Another update. It turns out that I have backups from the past couple of months (pretty much every 4 days) as I had set Roon to create these automatically. Unfortunately none of these backups restore (with a fresh installation of Roon). The restore fails at about 5% with all backups.

If it’s not possible to fix my current Roon library or restore one of the backups, I am done with Roon.

Also, if it’s not possible to get more timely support for a paid product, I am also going to move on.

With Best Wishes,

Nick

If you can’t successfully restore a Roon library backup, then you might be running into this -

After encountering that just once and consequently having to rebuild my library from scratch, I now follow this backup schedule -

Not much help now, but there it is…

OTOH, as a last ditch effort, I would make sure that all of Roon’s directories on the Core machine are deleted and then try one more time with a fresh install and library restore.

Once you have deleted all of Roon’s folders, but not the backups, and have a clean install, then you can find and restore your backups from Settings==>Backups==>Find Backups.

Thanks Slim. As I have said to tech support above, I will not be continuing to use Roon if it’s the case that I can’t recover all of the work that I have done on my library in recent months. I will also be asking for a refund - I am very unimpressed with the speed of tech support, and the possibility of having backups that can’t be restored, meaning that I would have to start from scratch. Huge amounts of work has gone into creating Roon tags, playlists, etc.

Nick

I understand and sympathize completely.

Before you throw in the towel, try this -

At this point, all you have to lose is some of your time.

Good luck.

Are there directories other than /Library/Roon (on a Mac) that need to be deleted?