Roon crashes on startup and problems with artist [Resolved]

Stange things happen…
From at leat a couple of weeks Roon randomly chrashes on startup and I have to start it several times (2 or 3 or even5-6 times) to make it work.
For Example this morning I had to start it 3 times until it worked
Here’s the logs for these 3 times https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2ZBnEiyIekYOHl4b1UwdGFkTU0

Another strange thing is that if i go to pharoah sanders page no library albums are showed

but if I search sansers is showed only as tidal artist but in library albums his albums (tidal and physical) are showed in library ones.

I’m pretty sure this didn’t happen in the past but I can’t tell you if this happens for other artists too.

Thank you

I had the same since yesterday. It was playing all Saturday, but last night it started freezing - I could still play though, but no controls. I tried to restart, but now it wouldn’t. I just got the blue spinning wheel.

I looked similar to the issue I had a few weeks ago with the 64 bit version. I learned that was caused by a Windows update. I was advised to use the 32 bit version in stead. That has worked well until yesterday.

So for the moment no listening with head set on the PC. I have tried to reinstall the 32 bit version (on top of the existing software). That did not work.

Hi @Andrea_Tacchetti ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, sorry to hear of the troubles. A few things moving forward.

First, thank you for the logs. I took at the upload and it appears that you have provided only a few of them (i.e Roon_Log, Roon_Log.01, and Roon_Log.02). In order for us to successfully evaluate what could be causing this behavior we will need a complete set of your Roon logs. Would you kindly please re-upload?

Secondly, can you to please provide me with the details of your current setup, as seen here.

-Eric

Hi @Kim_Jensen ----- Thank you for chiming in and sharing your observations!

As I have asked Andrea, would please provide me with the details of your current setup as seen here as well as a set of your Roon logs using these instructions.

-Eric

Thank you Eric, I’ve been away for work so I can answer just now.
Here’s my setup
Roon 1.3.262 64bit
Windows 10 Pro 1703
Desktop PC with corei7 2600K, 16GB RAM, SSD Samsung 850 EVo 250GB
Storage 1 internal HDD, 2 eSata External HDD
260.000 tracks (Physical + tidal)

Here’s the link for complete set of logs

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2ZBnEiyIekYMlpydEQzandpd2s

Thank you and Bye

Andrea

Thanks for touching base with me @Andrea_Tacchetti, very appreciated! Confirming that your setup details and logs have both been seen/received.

Moving forward, I have placed your logs into our queue to be evaluated by a member of our tech staff. Once my report is updated and passed back, I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you in a timely manor. Your patience is appreciated while the team conducts their analysis.

-Eric

Thanks Eric!

Hi Eric,
Sorry for the late response. I tried this:
I uninstalled Roon completely from the PC to make a new install.

I tried the 64 bit version again, but I still had the issue with temporary freezing in the interface. Music was playing uninterrupted.

I uninstalled again and made a new install of the 32 bit version. It has been working without problems for a few days now.

I noticed something strange. - When installing, at the window where you choose if you want it to work as remote or play from the PC, it already appeared on the phone and I could start playing music on the PC, using the phones interface instead.

Thank you Kim.
I’ve some questions:

1. for uninstalling 64bit and installing 32bit have I to do a backup and the restore after reinstalling or the database will just be OK after reinstalling? (Of course I’ll do a backup anyway before the operation)
  2. are there any limitations in performance with 32 bit against 64, especially regarding huge databases management or speed?
  3. I don’t get the strange thing with the phone. Does is it a general issue or is someway related to my system (I don’t know if is related to logs information or something like these)?

Thank you and bye

Hi @Kim_Jensen and @Andrea_Tacchetti ----- Thank you both for the follow ups, and the feedback! Greatly appreciated!

I wanted to touch base with you both in regard to some of the comments/questions in your recent posts :sunglasses: Please see below.

Andrea: “for uninstalling 64bit and installing 32bit have I to do a backup and the restore after reinstalling or the database will just be OK after reinstalling? (Of course I’ll do a backup anyway before the operation)”

• Andrea, you can install the 32 bit version of the application right “on top” of your current install. While this action should have no adverse affects, as I tell everyone, make a backup of your DB first just in case.

Kim: “I uninstalled again and made a new install of the 32 bit version. It has been working without problems for a few days now.”

Andrea: “Are there any limitations in performance with 32 bit against 64, especially regarding huge databases management or speed?”

• In regard to the “32 bit version” versus the “64 bit version of the application”. Any limitations are really about how much memory is available for the application to use. In short, a 32 bit core will not be able to use as much memory as a 64bit core, which can matter depending on how large a library is being used with Roon. If a user has a very large DB, running the 64bit version of RoonServer on the core machine with the 32 bit version of the Roon remote on the same device (or another) can help improve performance.

-Eric

So Eric do you think that the problems I’ve been through are related to 64bit version?
And if It’s that way and I have to switch to 32bit version, considering that I have Roon running on one PC, how do I switch from Roon “all in one” 64bit to Roon server 64bit+Roon remote 32bit on same machine?

Thank you

Andrea

Hi @Andrea_Tacchetti ---- Thank you for touching base with me.

At the moment it’s hard to say if the behavior you are experiencing is related to your implementation of the 64bit version of the application, but, I do think this will be a good test (64 bit RoonServer + 32bit Roon remote) to see if things improve.

I will be sending you a detailed PM momentarily, laying out exactly what you need to do in order to setup the mentioned configuration :microscope:

-Eric

Thanks for your support Eric!

1 Like

Same problem again. After working for a couple of weeks, Roon starts to freeze (Windows 32 bit)

As before it continues to play from the playlist. Only the graphics are frozen.

I’ve switched from Roon 64 bit to Roon server 64 bit+Roon Remote 32 bit on same PC and so far I never experienced the crash on startup.
Just once I had a freeze on Roon remote similar to Kim’s one; remote crashed so I forced closing and after restart it worked again.
This happened without any music interruption so not a major issue, anyway I will report here if it will happen again.

Bye

Andrea

1 Like

Hi @Kim_Jensen ---- Thank you for touching base with me and sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, can you verify what graphics card is being used in the machine hosting the 32 bit version of Roon currently?

-Eric

Hi Eric,
Thanks for helping again
It is Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Regards
Kim

You might look to see if you are using the latest Intel Graphics Drivers, the latest version is from May.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me @Kim_Jensen! I appreciate you providing me with the requested feedback!

I agree with @Rugby’s suggestion, in regard to confirming that you are making use of the latest graphics drivers. Can you verify?

-Eric

Hi Eric,
I followed the link yesterday and updated to the latest driver. So far no issues :slight_smile:

2 Likes