Roon crashing after updating to 1.8 build 943

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini (Late 2012) 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 16Gb 1600MHz DDR3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

AmpliFi HD Mesh Router. WiFi and Ethernet connections.

Connected Audio Devices

Roon Core (Mac Mini) and Amplifier (Cambridge Evo 150) connected via Ethernet. Roon Players on iMac M1, iPads via Wireless connection.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Attempting to open Roon Player on wireless connected iMac results in consistent crashes after installing Roon version 1.8 build 943.

A number of people have suffered similar issues after installing an update, if you haven’t already, reboot your updated devices, core, iMac etc. it may resolve the problems and save a lot of time.

1 Like

You’re right. Thank you.

1 Like

Oh well, it was a temporary fix. Roon again either refuses to open (beachball icon keeps on spinning) or crashes. Can Support please regard this problem as still needing a solution?

4 posts were split to a new topic: RoonServer Interruptions on Build 943+

Hi @Bartleby,

Thank you for reaching out to let us know about the persistent crash on your Mac Remote. I’d first recommend setting aside the database and trying a fresh install of Roon. While it may resolve the issue entirely, it will primarily create stable conditions for further troubleshooting steps.

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup
  • Restore backup after fresh database testing

Please let us know if you’re able to launch the Roon client on your iMac successfully afterwards, and we’ll proceed from there.

@Matthew_Talbot, I appreciate you taking the time to upload logs. The tech support team will take a deeper look and circle back with next steps. I recommend you also try a database refresh per the above steps in the meantime.

Thank you both for your patience!

Hi @Bartleby,

I’ve split a few posts off from this thread for housekeeping, but rest assured we’re still attending to your original issue since it has persisted so far.

Did the database refresh in my previous post help at all? We’re standing by to support further if not.

Thanks connor.

Did all that. Yesterday Roon client (on iMac M1) would crash two or three times while attempting to open but finally opened (I tried this five or six times during the day). Today, no problems in opening it but I guess I’ll just have to test this over the next few days.

Cheers

Hi @Bartleby,

Ok, we’ll be standing by in that case. Thank you for letting us know.

Unfortunately it’s doing the same thing again. A couple of times Roon has opened on the third try. Other times it crashes or freezes. I thought it might have to do with whether the streamer (Cambridge Evo 150 or Matrix Element-i and headphones) was switched off or on but that proved irrelevant and the behaviour seems to be random.

Hey @Bartleby,

I appreciate you reporting in to let us know. The tech team is going to take a deeper look at the logs in this case to help us pin this down. I’ll follow up shortly once we’ve reviewed.

My subscription expires in a week. On progress so far I assume that nothing much will/can be done about this problem before then so it looks like Audirvana for me from now on (Audirvana has actually improved over the past few months … and one thing they do far better than Roon is customer support).

So, on 27 May you said “I’ll follow up shortly once we’ve reviewed.” What, then, does “shortly” mean?

My subscription has now expired. If I renew it do you think anyone will bother to to complete the “deeper look at the logs” in anything like the near future? If I renew the subscription and Roon still can’t provide a working product will you guarantee to refund my payment?

Just to answer the subscription part with an option.
Roon does offer monthly now so you could always sign up for a month at a time until you were sure one way or another.

1 Like

In other words I can spend a subscription a month at a time waiting for nothing to happen. Sounds like a good deal.

As your logs have been submitted & are “being reviewed” you don’t need to pay an instalment, just watch the thread or pm @connor for a progress report.

Hi @Bartleby,

It’s unfair that you had to wait this long for a resolution, and if you’re willing to give Roon another chance, I’d be happy to notify our accounts team and they can set up a new free trial. It’s only right that you have some time to determine if Roon is still right for you after we resolve these issues.

The logs show a number of network connections errors during playback before crashes. It’s likely that there’s an underlying network connectivity issue, possibly to do with the mesh configuration, placement, or settings. We’d want to resolve this before proceeding, as it may cause interruptions at some point in the future, whether or not you choose to stay with Roon.

I’m assuming that you have a single AmpliFi HD Mesh router in this setup, rather than multiple units? If you have several units, make sure the second/any additional routers are in Bridge Mode. It may help to share your router configurations from the GUI (see below, I believe it’s a mobile app for AmpliFi), although I recommend you hide your IP information for privacy. In particular, we’re curious to see your DNS settings.

Please let me know if you’re willing to continue troubleshooting the network scenario with us, and if you’d like to activate a new trial to try Roon out, I’m standing by to arrange.

Again, our sincere apologies for the long delay.