Roon Crashing on MacM1, lost audio devices, and other thoughts

Just got the Mac Studio M1 Max. Does Roon work stably on M1 Max? Guess I’ll have the answer soon enough.

Separate question, I’ve backed up my Roon Library on a NAS. How does one import this when installing Roon on the new computer. I guess I’m asking where in the Roon installation process is there a prompt for pulling in the latest backed up Roon Library from my old Mac to the Mac Studio?

Thank you,

Bill Perkins

It’s late but briefly, if you’re talking about the actual Roon backup you would select the restore option, select the appropriate backup and Roon would do the rest.
If you’re talking about reloading the actual music data files you could copy the data files back from the usual folder location then Roon would scan & analyse rthe results

1 Like

If you’re lucky. Roon client dies with sigabrt or just plain beachballs like 19 times out of 20 when trying to launch on my Studio Ultra. Once the client is running, it seems stable enough though. Server might be different.

1 Like

Thank you. Just doing initial setup tonight. No Roon this evening. Have music data files on Innuos Zenith SE, which (bad practice, I know) is also my Roon core.

Not best pleased to hear this. Will try setting up Roon Client in AM, fingers crossed. Will keep you and others posted. Liking the Mac Studio. You?

I <3 mine. Other than a few apps (like Roon and Plex) which have poor platform support, it has been doing everything I need it to, and extremely fast at that.

Nothing wrong with that, it’s what the Zen was designed for :+1:t3:

Not great practice to have Roon Core on it, though.

It was designed to run the Roon core & store the data files so I don’t see any particular problem.
I wouldn’t think twice about using it for both. :thinking:

From the horse’s mouth -

2 Likes

OK, fair point, it does appear that information in reviews/specs was either misleading or downright wrong. I suspect the issues regarding licensing (last year?) prompted removal of partner status.

That said, if it works as a core then the only issue is support. :thinking:

1 Like

Thank you xxx. That’s what I recalled from previous discussions. There are some performance problems in the audio quality, such that listening to the Zenith SE with InnuOS sense is a noticeably better experience, particularly in offline mode. I’m not casting aspersions on Roon, since I’m not following best practices. Just following fewest moving parts practice.

Since I love the Zenith SE, what would be my workaround for a Roon Core? A Nuc seems excessive since all I’d be using it for is controlling selections and playback from the Zenith SE, where the music data resides. I’d like to follow best Roon practices, since I’m a lifetime subscriber and thoroughly enjoy what it offers.

Installed Roon on Mac Studio M1 Max. Seamless. I was a bit concerned, but it required no actions on my part except to choose the Audio. Excellent. Thank you for reassurance re: the Roon Database Backups. Had heard some have had problems with Roon installation on M1-based Macs. I expect that I’ve benefited from prior users experiences and Roon Support’s excellent responses.

2 Likes

Thank you for these additional details @Richard_Lyon! Very much appreciated. Additionally, my sincere apologies if I came across as discourteous. Point taken. :v:t2:

As I recall the errors that we were seeing pertained specifically to Time Machine, some of the other behavior was consistent with issues we see when Private Relay is in play.

There is a possibility that AdGuard could be the cause. Is it possible to add Roon and Roon Server to a safe list in that app to see if it helps resolve some of the problems you’ve seen?

Thank you as well for your willingness to try a new database without restoring a backup. When customers encounter several different issues on the same machine we recommend running on a clean database for a few days to see if that resolves their problems. After that they can weigh whether they want to try restoring a backup or not.

Do you have specific ports blocked on the Mac? That could be our smoking gun.

Well… Took the plunge. Picked-up a used 5i3NYH for $125, got ROCK up and running and, so far, so good.

7 Likes