Roon Crashing on Windows 10 x64 1903

@dylan
I did following to investigate further.

• I scanned log files for “corrupt” word and renamed all files that Roon reported corrupt with .bad_flac extension. This will prevent Roon from scanning those file
  • I restored Roon from backup that had FreeNas disabled and only Synology enabled.
  • I restarted Roon and I ran fine.
  • I then added back \FreeNas\Audio folder in Storage and Roon started scanning for files that worked fine.
  • Roon then started fetching metadata from Roon server. It fetched about metadata from 100K
  • Roon crashed again this morning retrieving Meta data from Roon server. Below is the link to log files
  • Its clear there is something wrong under \FreeNas\Audio\Audio_Flac folder that Roon does not like and it crashes.
  • I’ve not added any new media to that folder. I’ve also replaced faulty drive on FreeNas.

@dylan I would appreciate if you can have your tech team look at the log files more closely and point out where the problem is? I’ve been patiently waiting for a more than week to get this resolved and it seems its going nowhere

@dylan please update me on the next steps.

@support
I have not received any response for the past 3 days. I’ve provided all the info needed by you and still no one cares to respond.

Hi @Arshad_Malik,

Apologies for the delay here. I checked in with the team and confirmed they’re still actively looking into this. I will be meeting with them soon to discuss the next steps here and will follow up ASAP.

Thanks!

Hi @Arshad_Malik,

The team has a couple of theories about what might be occurring here, but they’re hoping to get just a bit more data. Can you try to reproduce the crash 5 more times and make a note of the time each occurs? Please share these times with us and then the team is going to compare the logs from each of these new crashes to verify that they all look the same.

Thanks!

Here are the timestamps of crash in CST
1st Crash 08/23 14:55:37
2nd carsh 08/23 16:10:56
3rd Crash 08/23 16:13:28
4th Crash 08/23 16:17:38
5th Crash 08/23 16:20:24

After the 1st crash the subsequent restart crashes again.
Between each crash i renamed the files to a different extension. However I don’t think the files are bad as they are playable in another flac player.

Logs files at drop box

@dylan
Crashed again today 08/25 18:01:43 CST
I’ve narrowed it down to this album by artist Toad the Wet Sprocket\Pale.
I’ve tested playing the files from this album in JRiver media player 25 and it plays fine without any issue.

Please investigate and update why its crashing Roon. It immediately crashes when I just copy one file from this album.

Here is the link to log file just before the crash

Here is link to flac files in album Pale by Toad the Wet Sprocket that crashes Roon.

Hi @Arshad_Malik,

Thanks for sending that album over — I’ve shared the link with the team and they’re looking into this.

@dylan
Any update from the tech team on why that particular album crashes Roon. I’ve had this album in my library for many years.
Did anything change on your backend servers that would have caused it to crash since Aug 10th?
As you are aware I’ve spend relentlessly hours narrowing doing the issue? It was not easy to find it in my library of over 300k+ tracks. I wrote scripts and tested it for the past 2 weeks to come to this conclusion.
I would appreciate if you can respond soon on the issue.

Hello @Arshad_Malik,

I’ll be taking over your case a @dylan is currently travelling. Thanks again for your report here and for your willingness to troubleshoot until the problematic file was identified.

I have just checked our internal ticket tracker and I see that your case is still in QA’s review queue. As soon as I have any additional information to share, I will be sure to let you know.

Thanks in advance for your patience here!

@noris
Any update on the issue? Can you please give an ETA when the QA team will look at it?

Hello @Arshad_Malik,

We have taken a look at the file you have submitted and have imported it successfully on two machines and not causing any crashes on our end.

I can’t say for sure what triggered this behavior, but we are looking into this and if any new information surfaces we will be sure to let you know. I will unfortunately be unable to provide a timeline, but your case is still in the queue.

Thanks again for the report and glad to hear that things are stable on your end after removing the file!

The crash started happening since Aug 9th 2019. It consistently crashes when I added that album.
This album was there in my library for a long time so it caused by changes on something on your end.

I’ve a huge library of about 391,304 tracks and 24,350 albums.
Is there a limit of number of albums/tracks in Roon?

Hi @Arshad_Malik,

There is no hard limit, though the larger the library the better the specs of the Core machine need to be to function properly and have good performance. That said, I don’t think this is the issue here.

We are still looking into the issue with this album, but in the meantime, I was hoping you could share a screenshot of Settings > Library > Clean Up Library. Don’t run this process just yet, we just want to see the numbers showing here.

@dylan
Here is what shows up in Library Maintenance in Settings > Library >Clean up Library

@dylan
Any update??

Hi @Arshad_Malik,

Yesterday I sent you a PM regarding the next steps here — Can you check your private messages here on the site? If you’re not seeing the message please let me know and I’ll try re-sending.

@dylan
I got your PM. I’ll do the necessary and let you know. Thanks.

@support
@dylan
Its been over a month and I’ve provided all that was asked and still there is no response on this issue.

Hi @Arshad_Malik,

The team is still investigating the problem with this specific album and we have a meeting to discuss further with our senior development team this week. Just to verify, things are working okay for you as long as this album is moved out of the watched folder, correct?