Roon Database - fail to open/load

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Min Late 2012 (2,5 GHz Dual Core i5)
16 GB RAM / 256 GB SSD
macOS Catalina (10.15.7)
Roon 1.8 (build 783) stable

All the music files are located on a handful large spinning disk on USB-drives attached directly to the mini. The DB is located on the boot_ssd.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

I’m helping my uncle with his Roon setup. He has almost 933 766 songs in a large library. Database is on internal SSD and all songs are on USB-attached large HDs. We made a good migration from 1.7 to 1.8 when it now we had issues with the database being corrupt/fail to load so that I need to restore DB from a backup. This happened already the first time on 1.7, and has now happened a couple time on 1.8 as well.

So, are we reaching RAM limits with 1M songs on 16GB RAM for core?

Is there any guidance for RAM-req for the size of the library? Like 2GB for each 100K songs or something like that…?

Being a grateful relative to my uncle I could make sure to migrate him to a MacPro 2013 TrashCan on Big Sur 1TB SSD and 64GB RAM - but I would like to feel more confident that this would actually solve his problems. Any advice or tips would be great!

Thanks!

At near on a million tracks you stretching the friendship with a vintage macmini. Ssd size might still be fine but it could be failing with you frequently occurring corruptions. Ram you probably need more than 16gb.

But let’s see what roon support chimes in with.

2 Likes

In this 2020 post it was mentioned 16GB RAM for almost a million tracks on Roon OS:

I think it was said newer versions were made more memory efficient, but since this thread is about Mac OS, the OS needs RAM for other purposes, so I suppose it still needs more than 16GB RAM.

1 Like

Thanks, as said. I can arrange so that he will get my 64GB Mac Pro with XEON and 1TB SSD for running core/database so my uncle can break the 1M limit without problem. And as we all know - hoarding more than 1M songs is probably not sensible any any way - but I rather help my much loved uncle with the tech - rather then trying to preach about the how bonkers his behaviour is. I simply owe him too much. I will also set up an rsync-cron-job to have a local hot copy of the multi-TB-file-tree at my house.