Roon desktop software will not launch Following Win 10 update

Help and suggestions requested.

I recently got a new computer (OS: Windows 10) and have run into problems with the Roon player. I use an Intel NUC with the Roon OS as the dedicated music server and have done so for years without problem.

I usually control the NUC from the Roon software interface on my desktop computer, but last night I needed to uninstall and reinstall the Roon player in order to get it working. Eventually everything got up and running just fine.

I then updated Windows 10 to the latest version (Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903) and since then the Roon desktop software will not launch.

The open screen with the Roon logo and the artist “quote” displays but the remainder of the program fails to load and then unexpectedly quits (after about 10 seconds).

Suggestions? Thanks.

Hi @Tyler_Dowling,

Since experiencing this issue have you tried rebooting the PC? Have you tried reinstalling Roon once more since the update?

Yes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Roon, restarted both the NUC and the Windows 10 PC several times. I’m not quite sure how/why this is happening since it worked perfectly before. I also made sure that there were no firewall blocks on the antivirus side and there are not. Other suggestions?

For now, I am just controlling the NUC from my iPhone Roon app. But I’d like to get the PC version back up.

I had this problem when I updated my PC from Windows version 1809 to 1903. When I looked with Event Viewer, there were errors in the Windows Application log for Roon.exe. I couldn’t figure those out at all.

I ended up having to rerun the upgrade over itself (in other words, no restoring of backups or reverting the upgrade) using a fresh copy of the Windows 1903 media on a USB and starting setup.exe from the media using the running copy of Windows. (Do NOT reboot from the media for this. You want to keep user files and apps, not do a fresh install. This is a documented and pretty safe troubleshooting procedure for strange errors.)

For some reason, that fixed it on my PC. YMMV

Hi @Tyler_Dowling,

If you try the process suggested by Peter above does that resolve things with you?

I find that Windows Updates mis-install all the time with weird/unusual issues. In that case, I roll back the update to the previous version and then wait a week or two or a month, and then, re-do the update. The second time usually works. If that doesn’t do it, then you might try Peter’s method.

1 Like

Thanks Peter, will try this fix.

I looked at Windows Event Viewer and have little idea what I am looking at. Nonetheless, here is what Event Log has documented about the Roon error.

Application Error:
Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5cc12f39
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.267, time stamp: 0xf09944f9
Exception code: 0xe06d7363
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a839
Faulting process id: 0x42cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5440a9fb8236d
Faulting application path: C:\Users\dowli\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: c0ab2256-2de2-4306-aa42-7385481a0732
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event 1001, Windows Error Reporting
Fault bucket 1676538186431374367, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Roon.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 5cc12f39
P4: KERNELBASE.dll
P5: 10.0.18362.267
P6: f09944f9
P7: e06d7363
P8: 000000000003a839
P9:
P10:

No, the complete re-install from USB didn’t work. Nor did reinstalling Roon after the Windows 10 re-installation either.

Sorry that what worked for me didn’t work for you. For better or worse though, my Application Error event log entry was significantly different from yours, so they were clearly different problems.

Hopefully Roon Support will take a look at your Application Error entry and be able to provide an idea for how to fix it.

Hi @Tyler_Dowling,

I was hoping you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link. We will need logs from your Windows 10 device experiencing this issue.

Who should I share the Roon Logs with via Dropbox? I just need the appropriate person/dept email, etc. Thanks.

Click on dylan in the message above yours, click on message and put the Dropbox link in the massage editor at the bottom.

Don’t forget to click on message to complete the task.

1 Like

Just had a maybe related problem. I have the core installed on a Macbook Pro with a cabled connection to the router, and after the Windows update, I couldn’t get the core to “see” the Roon Bridge on my dedicated Win10 streaming PC.

The problem was solved after reverting to the former version of Windows. Hopefully things work after the next Win update.

1 Like

Everyone who does anything with Windows should know how to roll back. :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Roon crashing on Windows Core

A post was split to a new topic: Roon does not start on desktop pc win 10

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.