Roon Detects More Files Then I Have

As shown in the picture Roon scans through way more files then I actually have in the folder it is scanning. If I add an album to that folder during the scanning the total number of files roon scans will double and keep increasing when adding more music. This means that adding one new album takes a long time and will only take longer the more I add.

Probably going to be asked for a screen shot of your Settings==>Storage.

An example -

On Slim_Fishguttz advice here are my storage settings

Have you rebooted everything?

Yes, multiple times, doesn’t change anything

A couple of things to consider:

1. Generally it’s not a good idea to add music when a folder is initially being scanned by Roon. I don’t think that’s the root of your problem, but it can result in different types of errors.
  2. Occasionally Roon will get in a recursive loop where one folder refers back on itself. So it keeps looping through adding the same music over and over again.
    If you are still having that problem you should probably open a support ticket, as they have experience in trouble shooting that condition. As a start towards that, it would probably also be useful to have a screenshot of the folder tree under “Roon Music” from your Windows File Explorer. That might hint at where the recursion arises, if that’s the problem here.
1 Like

I’ve done that for Barnaby by moving this thread into the Support category of the forum, where it will be seen and responded to by a member of the @support team

3 Likes

Hi @Barnaby_Stubbs,

Can you share a screenshot of the folder structure for this directory from Windows Explorer? Do you have any trash folders in this directory that Roon might be picking up on?

Like this?

Hi @Barnaby_Stubbs,

Thanks for sharing that screenshot, it looks to be as expected, so it won’t help us much in this case unfortunately. Do you have any other entries in your Roon Settings -> Storage tab? It looks like the screenshot was cropped, anything else other than those two entries?

Here is a full screenshot, no other entries. I just remembered I think this started happening after I transferred my roon core to the machine it’s currently on using a roon backup. Could that cause something like this?

Hi @Barnaby_Stubbs,

Thanks for the full screenshot.

Did you have different watched storage location set up on the other machine? Do you have the Roon backups set to be saved in the Roon Music directory?

The location was different but most of my stuff got recognised correctly with the move. I moved from mac to pc however some files which had filenames with characters which were allowed on mac and not on pc (eg /) had import problems and I had to manually fix those.

My roon backups are in a folder called roon backups in the root of the D drive in which Roon Music is conatained. You can see it in the screenshot that I posted on the 16th of Feb.

1 Like

Hi @Barnaby_Stubbs,

Thank you for the clarification.

I’m looking over the screenshots again and I see that Roon has identified 19,631 tracks in your Roon Music folder, which sounds about right if a few of the 25,751 files you have in your first screenshot are not music files (e.g. PDFs or images).

Is the activity spinner still ongoing or has it completed the import process? Do you see the full 19k tracks listed in your Roon -> Overveiw tab?

Roon finds all the tracks correctly yes. It completes the import process but each time I add a new album it seems to recheck all the files and will then multiply the more new music I add. This means it takes a very long time for new music to appear in Roon and it seems that this will get worse the larger my library becomes.

Hi @Barnaby_Stubbs,

Can you please try adding one new track (when this issue is not occurring) and let me know the exact local time + date when this behavior occurs? I would like to enable diagnostics mode for your account and see if there are any further clues in the logs.

Ok done, I added the track between 17:38 and 17:39 today.

Hi @Barnaby_Stubbs,

I have enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action does is automatically upload a log-set to our servers for analysis. I can confirm that logs have been received and are pending review by QA.

While we investigate this further, I was wondering if you could provide some more information regarding this aspect:

How did you move your Mac library to the PC? Did you use Roon’s Backup manager to restore the database over or did you use Time Machine/some other backup app?

I ask because we’ve seen issues when using Time Machine to restore Roon backups to a new Core, and I want to verify if this is not the case here.

Do let me know when possible, thank you!

I did a backup of the roon database using the roon backup manager, I then transferred the files to my PC using an external HDD and then restored from the roon backup. I did not use time machine.

1 Like

Hi @Barnaby_Stubbs,

Thank you for confirming that you used Roon’s backup manager to transfer the database over, I have mentioned this in your case notes.

Your report is still pending review by QA, but once I have further feedback for you here, I will be sure to reach out once more. Thank you for your patience!