Roon & Dirac integration again

I very much agree. :slight_smile:

I’m sure it’s sounds good, good DRC is more important than highness IMVHO. :slight_smile:
I have a DDRC-88D, an Emotiva XMC-1 and run Dirac Live in a NUC and in a Mac Mini.

All on different systems? Which Dirac (DAP) is active?

DDRC-88D, XMC-1 & and NUC in living room and the Mac Mini in my Office.

• DDRC-88D mainly for Vinyl (with ADC between Phono Preamps and DDRC-88D)
  • XMC-1 for Movies, Netflix, YouTube, TV, KODI, etc.
  • Dirac Live with NUC mainly for RoonBridge
  • MacMini for all kinds of computer based sound but mainly Roon

Nice!

I hope Dirac recognize you as a VIP customer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh and btw -

1. Do you know the internal processing bitrate of the DDRC-88D? Is it the maximum Dirac Live for PC supports (192Khz)?

2. Do you perform Bass Management on any of them? is it before or after Dirac in the chain?

3. Is the Dirac calibration performed with or without the BM Crossovers active?

96k :frowning:

Bummer. That’s why I prefer Dirac Live for PC but then there’s a HUGE problem with Bass Management if I want Roon as a player.

With JRiver it wasn’t an issue as it had BM at the player level.

Is Roon working on adding BM to it’s ever-expanding DSP section?

You can do bass management with Roon now. All you need is a suitable DAC/output device.

Joel already answered the first question.

I do perform bass management with the XMC-1. Not sure, really.

To my knowledge, Dirac calibration is done without BM xovers in the XMC-1

Where?
Haven’t seen it under DSP (Version 1.4 Build 298).

You can set it up with Procedural DSP.

I have used both Dirac and Acourate in my system. If you find the results from Dirac astounding, I’m struggling to find an adjective that will characterize what you might think of the results of Acourate. Yes, the user interface is still not as pretty as Dirac, but the results are rather dramatically better based on my exposure to both in the same system. Legendary mastering engineer, Bob Katz, has the same opinion: http://www.audiovero.de/en/testimonials-and-references.php#Ref1

Let me know if I can help you get started. I think you’ll be blown away once you get the hang of it.

1 Like

Sure, always looking for something fun :slight_smile:

Not sure how though :thinking:

With Mix? Reduce Gain? Parametric EQ? Works for 5.1 content? 2.0 (Upmix only 2.0)?
Doesn’t look like what’s expected of Bass Management.and I haven’t find something in the guide to describe how to achieve BM with this.

1 Like

Quickie:
Copy each of the non-SUB channels into the sub channel.
Set LP filter on the SUB channel.
Set HP filters on the other channels.

You can customize the individual channel filters with a little more effort.

For 5.1 content, copying to the sub wouldn’t overwrite original LFE content?
Also if I remember correctly after summing two channels one needs to reduce the gain by 10dB* (only the summed result, not the whole sub).

Well it is a cumbersome manual workaround with room for lots of manual mistakes. Realizing it is technically there only baffles me more regarding lack of proper UI for BM… I do believe it is one of the more popular DSP option in JRivar.

*From nanoAVR, as a reference:

Update, I tested this setup now and it seems ok (need to verify with measurements) -

1. Copying of the Left and Right channels

2. Reducing gain on the LFE (this is wrong for surround content with original content in the LFE, maybe the reduction should be done at the mix section I’m just uncertain of how it function)

3. High Pass for the fronts -

4. Low Pass for the Sub (which they wouldn’t call it LFE here) -

This is for stereo (2.0 --> 2.1).
For 5.1 I should add mixing and High Pass filter for the surround channels and figure out where and how in chain to reduce gain only for the summing and not the whole sub (as to not reduce gain for original LFE content),

Thanks @mitr for the pointers and encouragement :slight_smile:

I still think a proper B.M UI which won’t raise doubts, be prone to user error and will handle switching config between 2.0 and 5.1 correctly is more fitting to what I’ve learned is the Roon way (listen to music in peace without worries we might have missed a knob or misinterpreted a setting).

@brian - Kudos to you guys for the powerful DSP section. Adding a BM UI should be a breeze for you as it’s just a UI setting on top of existing features + plus some configuration automation for switching between 2.0 and 5.1.

Roon can be used with Dirac AU plugins, I’ve configured Roon to use them in their current beta DL 1.x version and used them with success.
(the upcoming Dirac Live 2.0 will feature AU and VST plugins as well)

As you can see in the image linked here: http://diracdocs.com/Roon&Dirac.png
one can use Audio Hijack so that the music stream from Roon is routed to the Dirac plugin first and from that to the DAC, or any output device.
(by the way Audio Hijack can be used for a number of other purposes)

One has to drag the Application icon from the menu on the right and then click it in order to select Roon so that audio from Roon will be captured
Then the Audio Units icon has to be dragged after the first icon and they will be automatically connected, the icon has to be clicked and Dirac plugin selected.
Last the output Device icon, again it will be automatically connected defining the path and the output device of choice has to be selected

Audio Hijack demo is available here: https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

:slight_smile: Flavio

Hi everyone, has there been any update on the topic of integrating Diarc Live? If I understand all of this correctly
a) it is impossible to use a Sonore or SotM Renderer as an endpoint with Dirac and Roon
b) Dirac + Roon need to be installled on the same hardware.

Since my hardware with Roon is a Vortexbox with Nova Software, I would need to install roon as well on my Mac Mini, adding Dirac live in this set up.

Or can I define the Mac Mini with Diarc on it as the output Zone from the Roon installation on the Vortexbox? Thanks for helping!

Mark