Roon & Dirac integration again

Last week I was in contact with Dirac and asked them about Roon. They let me know, that nothing was planned in that direction. They are no very busy with Dirac 2 and is to be expected this year for Windows/Osx. Dirac 2 for hardware vendors is allready spread out.
So no integration with Roon in the pipeline… or maybe they just wont tell me… :thinking:

:confounded:

Maybe @danny can shed some light on this.

What version of Acourate do you bend with ROON 1.6?

Well, given that everything seems to point pretty clearly towards the idea that a userbase of 100k customers willing to pay good money for audio software isn’t something Dirac is interested in developing a native solution for, maybe it’d be time to ask about functionality rather than brand name.

More like a small percentage of that user base surely?

Version 1.9.8. You can find a list of versions here: https://www.audiovero.de/en/news.php

More details on the kit that I’m using to take measurements can be found here: https://blog.dsnyder.ws-e.com/index.php/2016/04/10/can-digital-make-a-room-correct/
Just scroll down to the bottom if you don’t want to read my nonsense. :slight_smile:

Hi @flak,

Maybe I am late on this one but is there a beta program for VST/AU plugin version in which I can participate? I have participated in the VST/AU v1.2 before.

In the meantime this could be a solution

MINIDSP SHD STUDIO Digital Signal Processor DSP SHARC ADSP21486 Dirac Live Volumio Streamer

but also without ROON.

I asked them about it:

So the stay tuned, makes me hopeful!

Wouldn’t it be possible to run Roon on a NUC for example, hook it up via USB to the SHD Studio, select USB as input and then use any output after it has internally been processed by the SHD and Dirac?
The NUC as Core and Player, the SHD as "Dirac anything machine "?! That’s what I wanted to do eventually since the PC Version of Dirac will most likely take a long time. Dirac’s priorities are just not PC standalone right now I guess.

If someone could give advice if the setup mentioned above might work I would be very thankful since I wanted to start a discussion about that topic anyways.

@MBO I have a miniDSP DDRC-24 connected to my NUC (Rock) and it works flawlessly. I needed four outputs so I could integrate dual subs and I didn’t want to spend SHD money. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use an SHD Studio to modify the digital signal with Dirac before sending it to a DAC. I’m using a similar method with a Paradigm PW Link in another system. It receives the digital stream via SPDIF, performs Anthem room correction, and outputs a SPDIF signal to my DAC.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply! That’s good news!
I will most likely try that scenario.

I’d like to buy a miniDSP SHD to use with Dutch & Dutch speakers. Has there been any movement on using it as a Roon endpoint?

1 Like

Got it. No Roon but a very impressive piece of kit! And two days shipping from Kowloon to Boston.

1 Like

Wow, small world… I’ve been looking into both the miniDSP SHD and the Dutch and Dutch speakers… but not necessarily for use together. I couldn’t figure out how to take advantage of the miniDSP room correction along with the D&D Roon Ready features…

I think SHD comes with Volume pre-installed, so just set up as a Roon endpoint (or indeed use something else…). I use SHD into digital actives, SPDIF (Allo DigiSig) into SHD into digital actives, makes a pretty big difference. I use a better power supply for the SHD than the $10 Meanwell supplied…Fun.

1 Like

Thank you… I didn’t realize that Volumio could act as a Roon endpoint.

I think what I would really like to see from miniDSP (or another vendor) is a black box solution that can be fed directly to Roon, stored on the core for that endpoint. Once you have taken the room measurements, the black box can be removed and used in another room. You then put the box away until you change speakers, components, etc.

It would be nice! I think you can only use it as a Roon endpoint currently with Airplay, which sounds awful. I’m using a Raspberry Pi as the endpoint, running it through the Dirac and then via AES/EBU to the D & D. When either the Dirac or the D & Ds are Roon Ready I will ditch the Raspberry PI. I did run it directly with Volumio, and that works too. The miniDSP Volumio does Tidal and Qobuz effortlessly and sounds good.

1 Like

Got it, that makes a lot of sense.

How easy is the miniDSP / Dirac to set up? I have tried REW, using the guide put together by forum member Magnus ( Magnus’ room correction guide ) but I got unsatisfactory results… no doubt due to operator error :blush:

I have a Lyngdorf Tdai-2170 with Room Perfect, which is very easy to set up and I’ve gotten great results, especially integrating a subwoofer. I know that the miniDSP / Dirac software solution won’t be as easy as the Lyngdorf but hoping that it was fairly straightforward.