Roon does hardware [Nucleus introduced in Munich]

tried both,…but liked the Roon explanation more. CA’s story is a bit long.
I’d rather have a ifixit photo/video kind of route.

1 Like

So, is the Nucleus out yet?

We had some hiccups related to supply chain… All resolved now. I’m supposed to be getting final production units next week and then mass production starts assuming all is good. I really hope all is good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking forward to get one in Europe!
Any stores confirmed? Amazon?

This product is meant to be sold at HiFi dealers worldwide (and we have dozens of locations who have already preordered) and will be priced with that margin structure in mind.

We will also sell direct for those that don’t want to go to a dealer, but we can not undercut the distribution channel.

Dealers will be announced when the product is released.

Thanks! Will keep watching this space.

I’m waiting for Nucleus +, and continuing.
This time is the rigth one.
I want to be the first to have it , here in Italy.
Can you confirm that the italian dealer will be Audiogamma S.p.a.?
Nucleus + will have a linear power supply?

I’m in the same situation as you.

I want a simple system …

1 Like

a cd player and poweramp.

@danny: I may have missed this info, will Nucleus come with with any kind of built-in Roon subscription ? Would sound strange buying at a Hifi dealer a device you can’t use at all without an extra subscription fee. If there’s a built-in license, then comparison with a diy NUC+Rock is not only cost of material + time to setup.

License not included:

Most questions about pricing answered here:

Two questions:

• I’m pretty sure the Nucleus can read my iTunes library stored on a NAS.
    But can I store my full iTunes Library (including screencasts) on an internal HDD in the Nucleus? And then let the Nucleus play music from it and also access the Library using iTunes from a computer?

• Where do I find info on the Nucleus like spec sheet, what drives it accepts, … ?

Some of your questions might be answered by the Nucleus Owner’s Guide?

Hadn’t found that one yet, thanks!

Indeed, I know what drive it uses now but not how large it can be. Would a 4 or 5TB be recognised or is there like a 2TB limit?

Nothing in that guide about storing my iTunes library on the internal drive and about accessing that internal drive with iTunes from a computer though.
Will I be able to see the drive as a NAS on my network?
I suppose so but it would be handy to know about it beforehand. :wink:

I don’t think there’s a meaningful data capacity limit (ROCK/Nucleus uses the ext4 format), but there might be a physical (height) limit. Drives thicker than 9.5mm won’t fit in the Intel NUC, for example, and there may be a similar restriction for the Nucleus case.

The guide has pointers to importing libraries and accessing NASes. Nucleus is running ROCK, so everything that applies to ROCK applies to the Nucleus environment…

Ah, great, thanks!

Forgot about the height. Last time I checked 2TB had that height limit. Might have changed by now, I’ll look around.
Still, they should make some decent spec sheet or manual available so one can figure this out.

Thanks for the tip on Rock, I’ll check that out. The problem is though I don’t need Nucleus/Rock to access a NAS, rather the other way around, access the NUC’s drive as a NAS from another computer.
Seems pretty logical that will be no problem but one never knows.

I can access the drives on my ROCK NUC from my Windows PCs… I use dBpoweramp to rip CDs and do metadata editing on my desktop PC, and it can also edit metadata on the ROCK NUC…

Yep, that’s how I figured it would work,the PC sees it at just some other NAS no the network.
Will probably be the same with the Nucleus then since it uses ROCK.
A dream to use it like that then, rip and edit on the PC, store and play on the NUC, contol from the PC or mbile devce. Top!
And then automatic nightly backup to a NAS for safety.

I do all the same for video by the way with my Zappiti Duo 4K HDR. Works like a charm!

Seems like the Seagate Firecuda 2TB is the most interesting option. Largest, fastest and only 7mm. Other drives are 15mm above 1TB.

The nucleus chassis is not a NUC size so it could well be capable of a drive height greater than 9mm…

I see Danny just made mention 9mm max so I stand corrected. That chassis sure looked a lot bigger when I first saw it…I guess it’s looks are deceiving.

Edit from my last post about perhaps 3.5” being possible.