Roon does hardware [Nucleus introduced in Munich]

You haven’t mentioned a Control device in either of those two setups (something on which the Roon UI is hosted). It’s true that a PC can run Roon which has both the Core and Control functions present, but Nucleus just runs the Core server - it has no Control UI function in it. You’d need to add something like a smartphone or tablet at the very least to act as a Roon Remote.

I know, I would use either the PC or iPad to use as Roon Remote, depending on where I am in the house.
I am already using Roon but now it’s my main PC as core/remote, a laptop as remote, an iPad as remote.
The Data is on a NAS and the Core PC is connected directly to a DAC via USB.

OK. And in answer to your two questions:

• best sound? Frankly, I’m in the group that views this as trying to determine how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. (a) my ears are not up to it and (b) I’d probably be fooling myself if I tried.
  • easy to manage? I think it’s got to be the Nucleus - it’s designed from the ground up to be an appliance, like a CD player. That’s why I’ve moved my Core from a NUC running Windows to a NUC running ROCK.

Thanks, clear info!
The Nucleus with a linear power supply might indeed be a good choice.

And your opinion on running your Core on your main PC vs. a Nucleus/Rock-NUC?

The NUC/ROCK is an appliance. I just leave it alone. There is an issue currently being investigated by Roon Labs - it has problems making scheduled backups to a server running Windows. Until that’s resolved, I’m letting scheduled backups be taken to an attached USB drive. That’s working fine. Set and forget.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Roon/Tidal on 10 year old laptop… often get disruptions to the Tidal stream

Indeed. I’ll get me a Nucleus like I planned to and attach it directly to my DAC.
Thanks for the information folks!

1 Like

Actually our team devs in all three platforms actively, with Windows given the least preference due to our predilection for a Unix development environment. That said, the .NET framework’s GC is fastest on Windows. That same GC has been ported to Mac/Linux but we don’t use it yet. As you said, it’s only important for massive libraries.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Post-nucleus energy?

Any news on availablility? Or is there a different post for that?

1 Like

i think i’ll pick up a nuc and do it myself come the next november black friday sale
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/intel-nuc-nuc7i7bnh-desktop-computer-intel-core-i7-7th-gen-i7-7567u-3-50-ghz-ddr4-sdram-mini-pc/10692215.aspx?

Sorry to be dumb but I cant seem To find an article article on the site that explains exactly what’s involved in “doing it yourself” , can anyone help please ?

This will get you started:

http://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK:_Getting_Started

Thank you @RBM !!

1 Like

with new nucs coming out are there other suggestions for the different models of i5 or i7?

or am i mistaken? it just gets a little confusing with all the various options.
and like many i want to buy an i5 or i7 that won’t get dated anytime too soon…yet
don’t want to spend top dollar for the latest and greatest, esp if my needs doesn’t warrant it.

I’m still waiting for Nucleus +.
Should I buy a nuc?

I’m waiting for the Nucleus+ as well. I prefer the ease of use and no need to mess around approach.

Even I installed a NUC following ‘the receipt’ and some trial and error. Can I repeat it for my ‘friends’ on a sunday afternoon? No.
I do miss a ‘ifixit’ video.

Here you go @adamus: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/the-definitive-guide-to-roon-optimized-core-kit-rock-r652/

1 Like

I hear you… but it’s wayyy more expensive than attempting to DIY.