Roon does hardware [Nucleus introduced in Munich]

August, is it? @Danny ?

I want one, in spite of having a NUC and a SonicOrbiter.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good.

:stuck_out_tongue:

yah, possibly earlier, but august is safe

Why would anyone pay $1200 for the Nucleus when a Mac Mini with i5, 256GB flash (four times more!), 8GB memory (twice) costs $900? and itā€™s a full fledged computer made by Apple

@Ran_Rinat
Horses for courses I guess.

Mac mini is not fanless.
Nucleus runs ROCK a customised os.
You donā€™t need a full Apple or Windows system to run Roon now.
Nucleus is a turnkey solution and that has huge appeal to non technical buyers.

And yet if you donā€™t want Nucleus you can just run Roon on a Mac, Windows, Linux pc or indeed on a Qnap, pretty impressive choice I would say.

Russ

1 Like

Why buy a Mac Mini when you can buy a NUC with current generation CPU.

3 Likes

Correct this is right thing to do!

Nucleus isnā€™t for everyone. There are plenty of DIY PC, Mac and other options but for the folks who just want to plug something in and use it Nucleus clearly has its place. And letā€™s not forget they are all the same under the hood. Packaging and software divide them but essentially they are the same. It is our tribal nature that builds each option up or knocks them down.

2 Likes

Yes thatā€™s a huge price for me too, indeed. But I am not surprised it is probably not possible to sell it for a price that you could yourself build OEM. There has to be some profit. It is custom made anyway.

I think thatā€™s a concern for someone who is willing to pay that for various reasons mentioned above .

I think what is good about Roon is that, if you want ROCK you can use your existing or DIY NUC. You could install it on Mac or Windows PCā€¦ And while doing that you donā€™t have to compromise on the experience of ROON, thanks god that they donā€™t oblige you to their own product, which I appreciate. They even did not have to offer ROCK for download since they already have available downloads for nearly all platforms. I also did not find any ROON staff in these forums advertising or exaggerating their own product.
So I appreciate that, I donā€™t have a NUC but it is nice to know that I can install ROCK on a DIY one and try it.

The people who can afford this stuff easily will buy it as they 1. Can afford it and 2. Value their time differently.
Think about it. You could be enjoying a track day in your Maserati of faffing about with software, something you just donā€™t want to do, all to save a few Dollars/Pounds you donā€™t need anyway. Pay people and get on with your life.

Itā€™s brilliant that we mere mortals get the DIY (Destroy it yourself) option for free.

Horses for courses, Chris

5 Likes

I like that :grinning:

2 Likes

@Chrislayeruk

I ā€˜faffā€™ in my Maserati :relaxed:

Russ

3 Likes

and there are many 60+ with the money to buy ā‚¬2000/2500 Sonosā€™ plus a subscription for the helpdesk (to rip cdā€™s etc.) and a computerā€¦totals ā‚¬3000

well, there are many 60+, but not that many 60+ that stupid.

this system, or some configuration, interests me.

iā€™m using a pretty simple setup with Roon that is
not matched well, not efficient, in short not allowing me to take full advantage of Roonā€™s capabilities.

my simple desktop setup:
10 yr old laptop(windows) with tidal, microrendu, lps1 power supply, iFi micro iDSD
(upgrading to a Hugo 2 or other shortly)
and Roonā€¦ripped cds, but mostly use tidal for streaming.
trialing Roon for 2 months.

i do have to upgrade my laptop over the next few months
but can i just buy the nuc os system and install it into whatever
laptop or desktop i buy?
(say itā€™d buy a quality i7 laptop: dell xps or hp spectre 360).
ā€¦or is it better to buy a sonic transporter (i7 quad core 7700)
or a Roon built device with the nuc built in.

trying like many to optimize the sound while being on a budget.

just looking for ideas, options, pleaese

The free ROCK os looks to be a very good option, you could purchase one of the latest generation NUCā€™s either NUC7i5??? or NUC7i7BNH WITH 8gb of memory and an M.2 SSD for around a maximum for the i7 of Ā£600 or $??? and less for the i5 you would have a really powerful dedicated Roon Server.

Russ

ROCK is designed and customized to run on an intel NUC and only a small sample of NUCā€™s at that. Running it on anything else you are own for support and issues that might crop up of break as time goes by. Either get the right hardware for ROCK or just roll your own Linux/Windows/MacOS build as you see fit.

Roon will only support ROCK on platforms the build is designed for.

got itā€¦starting to understandā€¦
so weā€™re looking at a separate server and os, specifically for audio, to run Roon
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc.html.

now still wondering if the microrendu, lps1 power supply etc
(and all that ā€˜galvanic isolationā€™ related stuff) are also still needed.

Opting for ROCK vs. any other flavour of Roon has little bearing on this. This article on Sound Quality in the Roon Knowledge Base is still relevant.

Roon Nucleus has space for a 2.5inch SSD, correct? So one could insert, letā€™s say a 2Tb or 4Tb SSD and possibly not need a NAS.

How does it sound with a 2Tb SSD or a 4Tb SSD? Has anybody tested?