Mac Studio M1 ultra, macOS Monterey V 12.4

Networking Gear & Setup Details

the music albums are on the Mac
the Mac is connected to the DAC with a USB cable

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

more than 80000

Description of Issue

I press the play button in the Roon on an album or track. The albums will be loaded, Roon will indicate this. The titles are then not played, but playback is stopped.
So I can’t play any music, neither from the albums nor from the radio stations. No playback.
What should I do?

Addendum: I previously had Roon on an iMac. There it ran in the same environment without problems. As I said, the track loads, but then the piece doesn’t play and I can press play again, then the same problem starts, but then no playback loads.

Did you import a time machine backup to the new mini? If so this can be a problem.

Thanks for your answer. No it was a fresh install.

What USB port are you using A or C type?

Can other apps like Apple Music play anything to the same DAC?

What make model DAC?

It’s the C-USB connector. But the music is played from Spotify. I don’t think it’s because of this connection.
It is a ZeroUno DAC.

Can you screenshot the audio setting for the dac, not using any upsampling etc dsp etc right?

I used the default settings.
Thank you very much for your effort

See bottom left of image: no playback.
The triangle for play is grayed out after loading.

Try turning off MQA option unless your dac supports it, also try 24bit not 32bit. Perhaps turn off exclusive more too as an option to try.

Also maybe sure that the other settings on your core machine are not defaulted to the same DAC

One other thing to try is run the roon on the old iMac with the dac connected to that but when roon starts up deauthorize that core and or perhaps disconnect from it and connect to the new studio Mac core. Optionally just run roon bridge on the iMac. Add the dac to the iMac devices on the remote interface you use and see if you can play to the old core as a different zone

Are your firewall persmissions on the M1 Studio set to allow both Roon and RAAT server? I do not have any special settings on my MacBook Pro to allow Roon, but your configuration may require it.

Thank you for the many tips. I’ll try one suggestion at a time.

MQA disabled: error remains
24 bit instead of 32 bit: error remains
Exclusive mode deactivated: Error remains
Logged into iMac and disabled Mac Studio, then back again and iMac disabled: error persists
the firewall on the Mac Studio is not activated and therefore has no effect

Thank you again for your valuable tips, unfortunately the error could not be fixed.

But I have a question for the manufacturer Roon. Are errors like mine known to the manufacturer? After all, the Mac Studio with the M1 Ultra is a completely new device and the problem may not be solved until the next software update from Roon.
Unfortunately I cannot contact the manufacturer Roon directly to get an answer. I think that’s a pity. Who can help me contact the manufacturer?

Holger, this forum is the primary method to contact Roon Support. They do not work on weekends, and this is a bank holiday weekend here in the US, so Support should return on Tuesday. I am tagging @support for you so they see this Tuesday.

1 Like

Thank you Robert I understand that we cannot reach anyone on the weekend. I wish the employees of Roon a relaxing weekend and thank you very much for the help I was able to get here in the forum.
Kind regards, Holger

1 Like

Hi @Holger_Duelken,

Thank you for reaching out about this issue. We’d be happy to look into what might be going wrong.

First off, are you able to play back any content with the DAC disconnected and the System Output of the Mac set for your endpoint? I recommend trying both local content and streaming services, as well as multiple file types. If the issue is specific to one type of content, that will help us identify what’s wrong.

Also, do you happen to have Private Relay enabled by chance?

Once we know a little more we’ll proceed from there. Thank you again for your patience over the weekend.

Thank you for your support!
The DAC can be played by other programs, such as YouTube or Spotify. Everything is working fine.
Or Apple Music plays via the DAC with WAV files or AIFF. No problem.
You ask about “Private Relay”, what is it, where to turn it on or off?

Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I think they wanted to know if Roon plays through the Mac’s internal speakers? No Roon cannot be played.
The problem is that Roon doesn’t play at all. The track is loaded and nothing more. The play button for playback then turns gray without the music starting to play. That’s why I suspect the error in the software, because no signal is played and not given out.

Private Relay is a privacy option that seems to conflict with Roon. To check if it’s active, go to System Preferences and click on ‘Apple ID’.