Roon does not play the music on my Mac Studio M1 ultra

"Setting aside the database entirely would eliminate the possibility that any settings have been carried over. If you already have a current backup, then the next step would be the following:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup"

No playback possible, same error pattern.

Hi @Holger_Duelken,

I’m escalating this issue internally so we can resolve it as soon as possible.

I think it may help to clarify the routing on your Mac system mixer. Would you please share a screenshot of the Audio Midi Setup page on your Mac? Navigate to Applications → Utilities → Audio Midi Setup in Finder (Audio Midi Setup will have a piano icon). We want to verify that the Mac isn’t defaulting to the USB DAC.

I also recommend you attempt to load Roon on your old iMac with the USB DAC connected. You will see a message either 1) prompting you to deauthorize the iMac as a Core or 2) asking you to connect to your current M1 Mac as a Core. If you see the first message, deauthorize the old iMac Core to prompt the second message.

With the iMac running as a Roon Remote connected to your current M1 Mac Studio Core, see if you can play to either:

1. the USB DAC as a Zone
  2. the M1 Mac Studio speakers
  3. the iMac System Output

Meanwhile, I will prepare next steps for follow up so we can quickly bring this to a resolution and get your playback restored.

Connor: “I also recommend you attempt to load Roon on your old iMac with the USB DAC connected. You will see a message either 1) prompting you to deauthorize the iMac as a Core or 2) asking you to connect to your current M1 Mac as a Core. If you see the first message, deauthorize the old iMac Core to prompt the second message.”

I have already implemented this deactivation process several times. It doesn’t change the error pattern.

Connor: "With the iMac running as a Roon Remote connected to your current M1 Mac Studio Core, see if you can play to either:

1. the USB DAC as a Zone
  2. the M1 Mac Studio speakers
  3. the iMac System Output"

I have already checked this several times on the M1 Studio. It’s always the same error pattern. I have written about this here several times. It doesn’t change the error pattern.
I no longer have my old iMac.

I would be happy to send you the screenshots

Hi @Holger_Duelken,

I understand a resolution here is overdue and we again apologize that this chain has become so drawn out.

We’ve attempted a backend diagnostic pull from your device and were unable to reach your Core from our servers; this could perhaps indicate that there’s a network-related issue at play which is underpinning the problem, but we’ll know for certain what is wrong if we’re able to investigate diagnostic logs from your device.

If you have the patience to assist us with one more step, would you please attempt playback again (so we can see the event in diagnostics) and then follow the instructions here to pull diagnostic logs from Roon on your Mac Studio? You can upload them here at your convenience. The team will be alerted once the upload is complete.

Also, if you don’t mind, please leave Roon running on your Core device overnight, and we will attempt the backend diagnostic pull from our servers again.

Once we can investigate the logs themselves, we should have a definitive answer for what is stopping playback, and can finally bring this to a resolution.

2 Likes

I would like to make another suggestion to support. May I suggest that you connect to my remote computer and see what you need. I think we’re making faster progress that way.

They can’t do that, they can only pull logs, which they can’t do as it’s not working on your system. Make a copy of the logs that you will find in the roonserver and raatserver folders zip each folder of the logs up and share to the link Connor has provided.

I will do it tomorrow and I hope to have understood everything correctly. Good night

Are you running any VPN or other networking related non MacOS applicatiosn (little snitch, nord etc)?

what are your network settings - maybe can screen shot the ethernet connection in system prefs

@ wizardofoz

turn off all thos firewalls and Proxy etc - if roon hasnt worked with them before then It porbably wont now without some setup for the Roon and RAAT apps to pass thru.

Also running a core on Wifi is explicitly NOT recommended.

Hi @Holger_Duelken,

Thank you for uploading logs. The team is reviewing them and should have next steps shortly. In the meantime, please test with the ESET disabled per @wizardofoz’s helpful suggestion.

Stay tuned and thank you for your patience - additional troubleshooting steps are forthcoming.

1 Like

I fall over, ROON works with deactivated ESET/Firewall. Yay!!!

1 Like

Hi @Holger_Duelken,

Wonderful to hear the system is functional with the firewall exception. I hope you don’t mind, I redacted some of the information you provided in your previous post for privacy reasons (it included firewall information specific to your device/network).

This topic will auto-close in a few days, but please reach out in the meantime or start a new thread if you encounter any issues moving forward, and we’ll be happy to assist you.

Many thanks Connor for your help and your patience in troubleshooting. In fact, I wouldn’t have guessed that the local server would have to call home to work.
Thanks again for the support and thanks andas team!!!
Greetings Holger

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.