Roon doesn’t play files any longer

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
QNAP TVS-882 (Firmware/OS: 4.5.1.1540/16 GB memory/ROON 1.7 build 710)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Router/switch Cisco RV340, Ethernet 1Gb

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Bridge Device: CocktailAudio X50Pro - Audio Device: PS Audio DirectStream DAC - connection via I2S.

Description Of Issue
After a QNAP firmware/OS update (minor one) all of a sudden Roon is unable to start playing on the Cocktail Audio. The transport/audio device setup hasn’t changed and both devices are correctly identified and configured in the setup.

However, when I select an album or track for playing, the player (i.e.ROON client on PC) shows the usual time/frequency graph with all the information, but nothing comes out of the speakers and the time indicator remains at 0:00. After a while the “pause” indicator reverts to the “play” arrow and that’s it.

Please note that no image or frequency/bit rate is shown on the transport (CocktailAudio), whereby in the past is showed the cover of the album, the author, etc.

If I reset everything - NAS, transport etc. - if my first choice is FLAC file 50% of the times it will be played and the transport will show the usual information, including cover.

However, as soon as I try to play a lossy file (MP3, M4A, etc.) the system will hang and nothin will play thereafter, not even FLAC or WAV files.
I can upload the logs if needed.

Regards,
Maurizio Parigi

Hi @Maurizio_Parigi,

Please see the information here:

Thank you for your reply.
I read through the topic and some related threads, and I’m thoroughly confused.
What do I need to do for making Roon work? Do I have to install this Cayin software or do I have to tinker with FFMPEG folders, rename, copy, etc.?
Can you point me to a working and easy solution, please?

I have purchased, installed and activated CAYIN MFP on my QNAP TVS-882, I have restarted several times both the NAS and the ROON Core.
Still, I’m unable to play AAC files. What am I missing?
Can anybody point me to a working solution? Please note that I don’t know anything about Linux, so any tinkering needs to have step-by-step instructions as I were a 5-year-old child…

A post was merged into an existing topic: Roon Server on QNAP QTS 4.5.1 Situation