Roon doesn't play on my PC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK installed on NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH. Roon OS Version 1.0, build 183. Roon Server Software version 1.6, build 416.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

I doubt this has nothing to do with Network - see later

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Rock plays directly one set in living room + 1 Ropiee + 1 PC + 1 PC Not playing but can control the others.

Description Of Issue

I have one PC with W10 installed that can’t play Roon. That PC (like the other) is build 416. It has an outlet to external speakers and can play everything I want on those speakers (driver is Realtek High Definition Audio). That PC finds ROCK and can control all the other zones no questions asked. But when you go to Settings and Audio - you simply can’t find it & play Roon on it.

I’ve pretty much tried everything - updated all the drivers and software and can’t see any stones I could still turn… Any suggestions on what to do next? In all other ways, I’m very happy with Roon.

So, the audio devices on your control PC are not showing up. Generally, that is a firewall issue. You can test quickly by temporarily turning all firewalls on that PC off, both Windows and any anti-virus firewalls. If the audio devices show up, then you know you have to add exceptions in those programs for Roon, RoonServer, and or RAAT.

If that doesn’t work, then try uninstalling your Realtek drivers (especially the Nahimic driver) and see if that solves the issue. I don’t ever install Realtek drivers, I use Microsoft’s own HD Audio driver. Never had an issue with it.

1 Like

Thanks! Firewall has been tested / set up already. I have same software on both PC’s and i made my lssons already with the first one. Realtek driver issue is new to me, need to check…

Hi @Matti_Malkamaki,

I know you mentioned that you previously took a look at the firewall, but in case you need the instructions again:

• I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

• You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

Are you running any other kind of antivirus of firewall on the PC? Even AV apps such as McAFee/Kaspersky/Avast/ect. can sometimes interfere with Roon communication, so I would temporarily try disabling these as a test.

If you have checked this aspect, then my next suggestion would be taking a look at the Audio Drivers as @Rugby suggested above.

Hi @noris and @Rugby… This is the second time on this forum when I need to ask apologies for my “know-how”… It WAS the firewall! For some reason on that computer, when I gave the rights to raatserver.exe, it always popped back to be denied. I think it was some sort of failure in the W10 & added software, who knows. Nevertheless, after some re-installations of additional firewalls, everything is now perfect.

… and thumbs up to 1.7!!!

2 Likes

Hi @Matti_Malkamaki,

Thank you for the update here. Glad to hear you located the source of the issue in the firewall. Happy listening!