Roon dropping out continuously

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

macOS Big Sur 11.1 / Processor 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, Memory 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Startup Disk Mac HD / Roon 1.7
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Arris Model DG3450 / use Ethernet to my iMac which has the core installed and stereo attached via wires / WiFi for my main stereo
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Stereo 1: Core on iMac (w/ music files on an external drive, plugged into Schiit Modi DAC, Onkyo TX-8511 receiver and KEF Q-100 speakers. Have a splitter from the DAC to the Onkyo and a Schiit Magni Heresy headphone amp. The iMac is connected via ethernet. Stereo 2: NAD C-368 amp w/ BluOS and KEF Q-150 speakers. (turntable, cassette deck). No ethernet connection - WiFi only.
Description Of Issue

Roon drops out continuously when I have the two stereos grouped. Also it’s dropping on the WiFi stereo using iPad or iPhone Roon Remote w/ no paired groups. Playing to the stereo connected to the iMac w/ ethernet is perfect. Just ran a Speedtest the WiFi is 938mbps download. Why is it dropping out on the NAC C-368 Wi-Fi stereo? When I play Qobuz on the BluOS app to this stereo, it’s great. When I play Qobuz from Roon, it drops out. I get an error message that says: “Qobuz Media is loading slowly. This may indicate a networking or connectivity problem.”

Hello @Neal_Hemphill, and my apologies for the trouble here. Do you have the same issue playing local content to the W-Fi stereo? Could you please reproduce the issue one more time and reply here with the date and time you reproduce the issue and the name of the track that was playing at the time?

12:11a.m on 2/1/21 - the song Anchor by Alejandro Escovedo, which is a local file, dropped out on the wi-fi stereo. two songs later - This Bed is Getting Crowded - it came back on.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
macOS Big Sur 11.1 / Processor 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, Memory 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Startup Disk Mac HD / Roon 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Arris Model DG3450 / use Ethernet to my iMac which has the core installed and stereo attached via wires / WiFi for my main stereo

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Stereo 1: Core on iMac (w/ music files on an external drive, plugged into Schiit Modi DAC, Onkyo TX-8511 receiver and KEF Q-100 speakers. Have a splitter from the DAC to the Onkyo and a Schiit Magni Heresy headphone amp. The iMac is connected via ethernet. Stereo 2: NAD C-368 amp w/ BluOS and KEF Q-150 speakers. (turntable, cassette deck). No ethernet connection - WiFi only.

Description Of Issue
Just about ready to give up on Roon as my free trial winds down. Does it work properly - and consistently - or not?

I posted this information on 1/25 (the post and responses are still up )and waited 4 days for a response.

I responded to the query, but haven’t heard back yet.

I have Qobuz and an Apple Music subscription. Really questioning what value Roon brings to the whole streaming thing as it seems to create much more problems rather than added value. This is my second trial and I had similar issues the first time around.

Main considerations, especially seeing how many tech support questions come in every day - A) will this be more headache than it’s worth? B) will it work CONSISTENTLY? C) can I count on better response from Tech Support? D) what is the real value of using Roon? I like the software and information, but other than that what is the real value?

Below are my tech issues. In addition, it dropped out last night while playing music on my local hard drive.

Roon drops out continuously when I have the two stereos grouped. Also it’s dropping on the WiFi stereo using iPad or iPhone Roon Remote w/ no paired groups. Playing to the stereo connected to the iMac w/ ethernet is perfect. Just ran a Speedtest the WiFi is 938mbps download. Why is it dropping out on the NAC C-368 Wi-Fi stereo? When I play Qobuz on the BluOS app to this stereo, it’s great.

When I play Qobuz from Roon, it drops out. I get an error message that says:

“Qobuz Media is loading slowly. This may indicate a networking or connectivity problem.”

Neal for many of us Roon works really well, but is not forgiving of network issues and it really prefers Ethernet (though I run mine Ethernet over Orbi Mesh network which works great).

Most of the support in the forums is given by users that have been through the pain and built a reliable system.

Roon is not for everyone, but I knew it was for me within a couple of days and bought a lifetime license and have been a happy user since.
The integration between local storage and Tidal/Qobuz just changed the way I listen to music and probably increased my listening time by at least 2 to 3 times since then.

Mike

1 Like

Hi @Neal_Hemphill, let me tag @dylan for you to see what the hold up is.

1 Like

BluOS is notorious on this forum for not working very well with Roon. See for instance The Roon Ready Promise & the Case of the Bluesound 2i. Symptoms seem to point to the NAD side of the issue. I thought this was fixed:

Hi Carl -
My original post was 9 days ago, and then I reposted about 4 days ago. I’ve gotten no substantive help so far.
I’m so disappointed because I wanted to like Roon. But it’s not working in my home for some reason and I have never gotten good support during both of my free trials.
Going to have to drop it, it looks like.

Hello @Neal_Hemphill, my apologies for the delayed response, we are still committed to getting this issue resolved for you. I had enabled diagnostics for your account when I had received that last timestamp from you but it looks like your core hasn’t connected to our servers since then. Could you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Nuwriy - and everyone else - thank you.

I’ve decided to move on from Roon for now, for the second time. I’ve had no luck with it during either of my trials. I really want to like Roon and to use it, but I am not willing to go through all the work associated with it.

If it becomes a solid and stable and Easy-to-Use platform, I may be back. In the meantime, the Qobuz app and the bluOS app and Apple Music for Airplay of my AIFF files are going to be just fine.

Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.