Roon Exclusive Mode - Need to restart PC to get sound from other apps

(Henrik Richter Schie) #1

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Core: NUC i5 / 8GB RAM / Win10

Current device: Desktop i5 / 16 GB RAM / Win10

Latest build Roon on both

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All on Ethernet, 500/500 fiber connection.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Current device: Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital - USB-connected, playing with ASIO driver

Description Of Issue

Whenever I start Roon and play music with it, I can never go back to playing from other sound/video sources on the same machine, even after closing Roon. I sometimes play random music files from MusicBee, or play video with PotPlayer or from YouTube, Netflix, HBO and so on, but I always have to restart the machine to do this. I have tried a lot of different settings, and if i switch to WASAPI and turn of exclusive mode, it works just fine, so I assume it is the exclusive mode that doesn’t release even after I close Roon.

As I use this machine as my main source both for work, everyday life and music station… it’s quite tiresome to do this several times a day. I often end up playing with exclusive mode off, but that takes away both from general SQ and MQA glitches on all of my Tidal albums. More and more lately I end up not using Roon at all on this machine… just play the files straight from Music Bee and Tidal.

Any fix for this?

(Ged) #2

This thread explains the ASIO grab of the stack though it should release if you close roon.

(Henrik Richter Schie) #3

Thanks, but I have no problem with ASIO claiming the device when active, or Exclusive mode in WASAPI doing the same. I’ve been running Roon on 3 different machines, and they have all had the same issue with not releasing it again when closing Roon, so I was hoping other people would have had the same issue, and possibly a fix. :slight_smile:

(Ged) #4

I use a device in WASAPI in exclusive mode and it releases when i close roon. What are your devices and their drivers that aren’t?

(Noris) #6

Hi @Henrik_Richter_Schie,

Can you please let me know if your Pro-ject drivers are up to date? Does this same behavior occur for other ASIO zones as well or only on the Pro-ject?