Roon extension causing airplay music on Marantz (ref#ERW592)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Core Platform

Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK)

Roon Core Specifications

ROCK OS 1.0/258 ROON 1277 on NUC11TNHI7 8RAM m.2ssd:250G music:1TB SSD

Connected Audio Devices

NAD m10 v1 / Bluesound powernode2 / Marantz M-CR612 / RPI3+Ropieee+Hifiberry DAC /RPI2+Dietpi + Dragonfly

Home Network Details

glassfiber to tp-link ethernet conerter then to Tp-link ArcherC3150 Router then TP-link switch then: Rock on ethernet / NAD m10 v1 on ethernet/ Bluesound powernode2 on ethernet / Marantz M-CR612 on ethernet/ RPI3+Ropieee+Hifiberry DAC on wifi/RPI2+Dietpi + Dragonfly on ethernet

Roon Issue Category

Playback

Description of Issue

Installed RHEOS 0.6.5-17 on RPI: was expecting better quality on Marantz but get airplay music (as without the extension) question: must the marantz get input via usb and not ethernet before it can deliver better quality?

The Marantz is Roon Tested not Roon Ready, meaning it can’t do Roon’s RAAT protocol over the network and yes, you need USB (or, over the network, must use Airplay)

The USB port is for connecting storage media – it’s not possible to connect this Marantz with a PC a soundcard/DAC (source).

I used the RHEOS example to test the form.

I was expecting that the RHEOS extension offered RAAT over ethernet, because without RHEOS I already had airplay (and volume control) over ethernet.

I wonder now what RHEOS does really add?

Please add that info when submitting so that others don’t waste their time :slight_smile:

I’ve moved this thread to Roon API since this is the best place for a community reply.

This extension provides connectivity using Squeezebox support in Roon via UPnP.

1 Like

I had missed the RHEOS part :man_facepalming:

UPnP connectivity, apparently

Did you enable Squeezebox support under Settings > Setup?
After doing so you should see a new device under Settings > Audio for the Maratha with Rheos. Enable the audio device to have a new zone for the Marantz which uses Rheos.

1 Like

Thanks Suedkiez, finally found in your link the solution: I had also to switch Squeezebox on in the general Roon setup before the Rheos extension could see the Marantz as Squeezebox.

1 Like

Just found this thread. (Thank you Dr CWO)

Yes - RHEOS allows streaming at higher resolutions using UPnP and emulating a squeeze player. Not RAAT.

If you want to use RAAT a Roon endpoint needs to be connected to the Marantz or a denon AVR eg a raspberry pi or other Roon enabled device. RHEOS does not control endpoint
the device when connected this way. Thought it would be interesting to add this capability sometime!

Let me know if you have any other issues. Thanks for testing.