Roon Extension Manager for Windows [Deprecated]

The warnings are expected, it is the Devialet Phantom Volume extension that got corrupted. To recover:

• Enter services in the Windows Search field (taskbar) and open the Services app
  • Scroll down to the Roon Extension Manager entry and stop it
  • Open a Command window
  • Enter: npm uninstall -g roon-extension-devialet-phantom-volume
  • Start the Roon Extension Manager service again
  • Re-install the Devialet Phantom Volume extension
1 Like

Thanks a lot for a great Christmas present! Works like a charm now.

1 Like

Hi.
I had a problem with the extension manager.
Core on a Win 10 PC.
I’ve been using the extension manager for some time.
2 days ago, suddenly the PC started to slow down. i checked on the task manager, and i found dozes (hundreds?) of node.js processes eating up 70% of CPU and RAM. and there were also an equal number of command prompt processes.
I had to uninstall Node.js: everithing is ok now.

Anyway: possible reasons for this?
any suggestion about how to proceed?
can i reinstall node.js, or do i have to uninstall the extension manager and install it again?
thanks

Maybe the time is right to upload the log file, I will have a look at it. You find the log file in %AppData%\RoonExtensions\roon-extension-manager.log

thanks @Jan_Koudijs
… the roon extension folder is empty.
and actually, in roon it seems it’s not installed.
is it possible than uninstalling node.js (and restarting PC and then roon core) causes extension manager to get uninstalled too?

anyway: i’ll go for a new install.

i got this error:

i still get this error and cannot install roon extensions.
any suggestion?

Are you using the v0.5.3 installer?

If so, you can try to manually download and install Node and git. After this manual installation you run the setup again and it should detect that the prerequisites are already installed.

I’ve downloaded once again the 0.5.3 version.
and get this:

I have downloaded the separate git ad nodes installers. git asks many questions during installation, where i’ve left default options.
but at the end, running the extensions installer, i still get an error:

i’m on a win10 PC, 64bit.

You have to run setup with administrator rights.

Hi @Jan_Koudijs
sorry for this… I just can say that in the past everything worked. then I had to make a win10 fresh install (before I had win7), and since then…

anyway, I add 2 infos:

1. in my system, I have an admin account, and a non-admin account that’s the one I usually use. in this setting, running the installer as admin caused the extension manager to me installed in the local folder of the admin-account. don’t ask me why or more than this.
  2. I have temporarily converted my normal account into an admin one. and I have run the installer as administrator. as a result, the installation seems to be OK, but I get this message:
    that says “impossible to star service - access denied”.
    i’ve tried to manually start the roon extension service manually, but it did not work

thanks

Why is this an issue? There is no need to be logged in with the admin account for the Extension Manager to run.

I finally got it running on the Windows 10 machine. I’m leaving the rest of this post in case it might be of some use to you.

Tried installing on Windows Server 2019 and on Windows 10 (different machines). Here’s the warning I got when installing in Windows 10:

I didn’t take a screen shot of the failed installation with Server 2019, but this was the result:

(It will not start - get this warning.)

What do all of the extensions included with this manager do? I guess you can try them one by one, but is there a description of what each does?

Look under the tinkering section. Most of them have a whole thread dedicated to them.

You can find an overview of the Extension Repository here. The extensions that require a Linux + Docker setup are marked with an asterisk (*) after the name. That’s what you gain if you decide to move over to a Raspberry Pi setup.

The “Roon Labs Community” link in the References column brings you to the thread that the extension author created for announcements and support.

I GREATLY appreciate the tutorial I’m getting here :smiley:. Have you (or anybody reading this) actually used the Deep Harmony extension, a Harmony Hub, and a FLIRC as a way to obtain some control over Roon using Alexa voice commands? In other words, is there anyone who can give me some assurance that once I’ve learned all my lessons and done everything I’m supposed to do that I will actually be able to use Alexa voice commands to control some aspect of Roon?

Looks like I’ll need to go with the Raspberry Pi to get Deep Harmony. Hope that extension works better than the one available in the Windows environment.

How do you get extensions into the repository where the Extension Manager will offer them for installation?

The Extension Manager detects in what environment it is running and automatically provides those extensions that can be executed.

So these extensions can be deposited anyplace on the network? What files need to be deposited (what are they called)? Can they be left in archives (.zip files)? Must something be done to encourage or facilitate Roon’s discovery of these extensions when placed at some miscellaneous location on the network? I just downloaded an extension to control my Yamaha amplifier, for example. I created a directory for “Roon Extension Repository” and then dumped all the unZipped files from that download into a separate sub-directory for that new extension. The extension includes JavaScript files, html files, a gitignore file, an image directory, a readme.md file, and a json file. How soon might Roon discover these files (if ever)? Do I need to use all of these files for the extension to work?

I am having the same issue Ron. How were you able to get this to work for you?

Brian