Roon file scan does not stop

Same issue here (latest Roon Core on latest Windows 10), been going on for months: spinning wheel, always showing 18 tracks more “added” vs. identified (I was able to influence that number before by moving files randomly around, in desperation). This is a recent issue (Roon user since 2015). I am not smart enough from the log files to understand the hangup (perhaps file name characters or length …? no way to tell for me). Ask to the developers: 1. either make the endless loop of failing track identification stop after a number of tries 2. or, perhaps triggered by clicking on the spinning wheel, at least show us which files are currently stuck! The spinning wheel is not just an optical nuisance but in my experience slows down most other Roon UI activities as well.

Hi,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup and the nature of the issue using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they have a clear understanding of how your devices are connected.

Hey @mzbe,

We’d love to help out with this :nerd_face:

I wonder if you could please tell us more about your setup, just as @Carl so kindly asked? (Thx @Carl :pray: )

My setup is Windows 10 (build 10.0.19043.1288) Roon 1.8 Core (b831) 32GB RAM, i7 10th gen CPU, 1TB SSD, Mac, Windows, iOS Roon controllers, several Roon Bridge endpoints (1.8 b814).
Again - problem for the last several months was spinning “update” circle; always showing a constant number of tracks as not identified. This was not an issue AFAIR with Roon 1.7 and older releases (have been using Roon since 1.0 days).
I now went religiously through all the logs, deleted some damaged FLAC files, and renamed some >260+ paths. That seems to have “solved” it for now (no more spinning update wheel and unidentified tracks).
My ask remains: Can you please 1. make Roon more robust to let it abandon failed attempts at file identification (or do them far less frequently, e.g. daily/weekly) instead of running on this continuous loop of doom (which e.g. also let to constant stream of log files 24/7 even when not using Roon). 2. provide a better user interface (not the log file!) to review problematic files - e.g. this could be a filter on the tracks view (or something similar) to allow direct review and remediation of issues.
If Roon becomes more resilient to issues (1.) then ultimately being able to fix those issues (2.) would be less urgent, albeit still a nice to have.

Hey @mzbe,

Many thanks for following up so quickly :pray: . We’re grateful for the description, your support from the very beginning :tada: and your suggestions for making Roon as good as it could possibly be.

For right now, if Roon is still analyzing (spinning circle) your music, I wonder if you could do the following and make a note of the time you do each:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

We will enable diagnostics on your account and with the information above (the local date and time for each action), we should gain some insight as to why you’re experiencing this.

Thanks in advance :pray:

Rebeka, I will report back if the issue comes back. Meanwhile (before your post) I spent some time stumbling through my file collection; renaming files, shortening paths >260 characters on my network drive, … this seems to have placated Roon for now - now more spinning update circle currently. Thanks for your help.