Roon First Install - not running

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows machine
CPU i7-9700k
MB ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI)
Graphics GeForce RTX 2080
Music Library in a Synology DS918+ shared folder

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Connected through Ethernet via Intel I219-V @ 1000Mbps

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

B&W Formation Duo
Various Google Chromecast devices

Description Of Issue

Roon force closes at every attempt to start it. I tried to delete the Roon folder and re-install several times, selecting different outputs, however the behavior did not change and it is unable to start. No error messages are shown.

Thanks for your help!

A basic question is whether you are running RoonServer or the complete Roon package.

RoonServer has no GUI. If that is what you are starting, then it will appear as if Roon has shutdown.

What shows in Task Manager?

Thanks for the quick response. I have been indeed making myself aware of the Roon architecture to understand a little more about it :slight_smile:
RoonCore on the windows pc would only be up by not adding my own network library folder, once added nor the server nor the client would stay open as they crash, no error provided. Decided to give it a try to use the Synology DS918+ to run the core, even though this seemed a bit against the general advice. While this seemed a little difficult at first, as the native package is not yet ready for DSM 7 beta currently running, the docker package worked very simply and has also reliably processed overnight all my very same library that crashes the windows version. I have followed the advice on using an ssd for Roon data and app folders by attaching a SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD via USB and so far so good, the CPU usage is reasonable and there’s plenty of extra RAM installed so no concerns there. I have spotted at times that a processing speed is shown and so far it has shown a 30-40x - does this mean versus the needs it is 30 times faster or how do you read it?

A post (just one of many) and a KB article.

As far as your troubles running Roon, I’m tagging @support as this is not normal behavior.

For help, supply the info talked about here.

1 Like

Hi @ErMeglio,

Were things working for you previously? Were there any Windows updates or anything around the time this stopped working?

Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.