Roon freezes after a certain time, you have to restart core on the iMac (Catalina)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
CORE 1.6

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
iMac, Fritzbox, connections to the Linn GKlimax renderer via LAN.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
LINN Klimax DS/3

Description of Problem
After upgrading the iMac to Catalina Roon freezes on the iMac. You can´t start Roon by clicking on the Roon icon. The only way is to restart the iMac, which is not the way it should be.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Frank

Hi @Frank_Schulze1,

Can you give some more information about the iMac? What model is it and what are the specs?

When this occurs what is the CPU usage?

How often do you see this occur? Is it every time you use Roon right away or does it happen after some time? Have you noticed any patterns as to where it seems to freeze?

1 Like

Hi,

you can find the iMac informations in the attached Fotos above.

Basically it occurs after the Catalina update. I restarted the iMac this =
morning and started roon automatically.

I came home 10 minutes ago and roon didn=E2=80=99t react like you can =
see in the first picture. Then I started to write this mail and during =
writing the mail mail didn=E2=80=99t react either.

Then I have to restart the iMac with the on off button, you can=E2=80=99t =
restart it with the menu.

At the moment I=E2=80=99m quite confused and don=E2=80=99t know what to =
do.

There is still missing the answer for cpu activity, sorry but where can =
I find the activity?

One more picture:

Hi @Frank_Sculze1,

Thank you for sharing those screenshots, it is a bit helpful.

You can find the current CPU usage in Apple’s Activity Monitor.

How have you upgraded Roon between the two versions, did you by any chance use Time Machine to restore the database at any point or any “workarounds” to manually start Roon on Catalina?

When you restart the Mac, does Roon automatically open? Can you clarify on what exactly the behavior is like when you are able to start Roon successfully?

Hi there, I attached scrennshuts which show cpu activity (pic 1 and 2) In pic 3 you can see that I made upgrade to catalina 10.15.1 (released today in germany)

The next 2 pictures show cpu activity after updating.

So maybe the issue is being fixed with the catalina update. Ronn works fine and stable since august this year. The only thing which realy changed was the catalina update.

Roon starts automatically because I choosed this option. Everything works fine then but after a certain time (half an hour one hour I don´t know) roon freezes on the imac. The only way to get it back to work was to press the on/off button on the imac.

I hope it was helpfull.

Regards
Frank

Hi @Frank_Schulze1,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here, I have been out of the office these past few days.

I would suggest performing a reinstall of your Roon app to see if it helps with this issue. Can you please use these instructions to do so?

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database and save it somewhere safe
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • Restore your database from the backup

Hi there,
Meanwhile I installed the catalina update 10.15.1, which helped a bit. But still there are some issues, for example yesterday ronn worked fine for hours but in the late afternoon there was suddenly no core available on the ipad pro and roon was not working on the imac. You cańt close and restart roon then, means you have to shut down the imac by pressing the on/off button and restart the imac and roon.

So this morning Íll follow the latest instructions you gave me.

Íll let you know about the results.

Regards
Frank

1 Like

Came back tonight and roon was freezed. Because ronn didn´t work and hung there was a report generated for apple, I kept a copy. So if this is of interest I can post this file.

two things more:

1. When I switch on the imac roon is running and it is not hooked in the option menu to start automatically. Obviously roon is running all the time.

2. When I start roon Qubuz login failed 2 or 3 times, it doesn´t work the first time.

Regards
Frank

Hi @Frank_Schulze1,

Yes, I would be curious to see what the file lists as the issue, can you send this to me via Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com?

Is Roon by any chance listed in your login items?

Does Qobuz still appear to be working as expected, even with this message visible or do tracks from Qobuz not load when this issue occurs?

Also, have you set the old database aside and re-installed Roon as per my previous instructions?

Qobuz works fine but I still need 2-3 attempts to login

Thanks for the hint with the login items, roon was listed and I took it off the list now.

I renamed roon (backup) to roon_old and reinstalled roon

Regards
Frank

Hi @Frank_Schulze1,

Thanks for sending that crash report over, I can confirm I received it an it will be useful if we need to troubleshoot this issue further. Has there been any change in behavior since starting Roon fresh, does it still freeze?

Still the same: After a certain tim roon is freezing

It´s a shame because it takes time to scan my library (8000 albums) everytime I´ve to switch off the imac.

So is it a Imac issue with catalina? Anything else I could try?

After switching on the imac I need still 2-3 attempts to login in Qobuz.

Regards
Frank

Updated MAC catalina and roon to the latest version.

Hi @Frank_Schulze1,

I recently spoke to our technical team regarding this issue and I have some additional feedback for you:

1. Can you please send me a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions? I would wait for it to occur and then reboot the PC and manually send the log copy.

2. Can you send me a copy of your Console logs after this issue occurs? You can do so by:

Opening Console.app (this is part of mac os x. You can command-spacebar and then type “console” to find it).

Then go into the “User Reports” section, and see if you can find any Roon crashes in there.

You can get these logs to me via Dropbox or Google Drive, but if you don’t have either let me know and I can provide alternate upload instructions, thanks!

Hi Noris,
thanks for the additional feedback, I´ll do how suggested.

But at the weekend my imac crashed and not only roon didn´t work properly but the same with other programs/apps.

I could´t even start the imac properly. In recovery mode I couldn´t relaunchCatalina OS because of missing space. And I think this was the reason why! After the update to Catalina the fusion drive of the imac had almost 1,0TB used which means almost 100% of the available space.

Know I´m deleting things to get space and this keeps me busy at the time. I bought a samsung ssd with1,0TB for the foto library which means I´ll have 50% of the fusion drive free.

Roon works a bit slow at the moment, but I guess it´s because the imac cpu is busy.

By the way I´m thinking in buying a synology 718+ nas with 6GB RAM and 240 GB ssd for the roon server. Could you recommend this stuff?

Sorry when I kept you busy with a stupid problem but I wasn´t able to recognize it.

Regards
Frank

Hi @Frank_Schulze1,

Thanks for the update here and glad to hear you’ve been able to narrow down the issue to the amount of free space on your drive!

Yes, if you’re currently moving those files over, this is what could be causing Roon to operate slowly for the time bing. Once the transfer is complete, I would reboot and check to see how things are working.

No, I would not recommend this model. From the Amazon page, it looks like this NAS is running a Intel Celeron J3455 Quad-core 1.5 GHz, which is below our Minimum Requirements.

Personally, I would suggest that you either build or buy a Roon ROCK system, a dedicated linux-based server (that meets our minimum requirements). You can find out more information on this here:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK:_Getting_Started

Sorry, but it´s me again. Roon freezes again on the imac (OS 10.15.2, latest roon). Yesterday I noticed a retarded reaction (change from album to overview on the ipad pro took a couple of seconds, normaly it less than a second i.e.)

I tried a macbook pro (late2011 with 8GB RAM and 500GB Samsung SSD) instead, but reaction time with the imac is better, faster.

I attached a link to the log files above: Frank_Schulze1.zip

Regards
Frank

So it happened twice today. Created another log file as zip.

You can´t restart the imac. You have to use the on/off button.

Regards
Frank

I,m using the macbook pro (high sierra) since today. Works totally stable.

Obvious the combination of roon/imac/catalina has some problems

Regards
Frank

Hi @Frank_Schulze1,

Thanks for sending those logs over, but it appears that the download link unfortunately expired. In either case, I don’t think the logs would help much because you mentioned something else above:

It sounds like something hardware-related is going on with your iMac. If the other apps were crashing as well and Roon was still unstable after getting the new drive, I would consider running a disk check on the iMac.

It’s also possible that the Roon database on the iMac is not intact anymore (if Roon was trying to write something to the database and didn’t have enough space for example). If you can confirm you have enough free space and want to give Roon on the iMac another try, you can set your old database aside by using these instructions (on the iMac, not the Macbook):

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

If you are happy with using the Macbook pro as the Roon Core, you don’t have to perform the above instructions, it’s only needed if you want to take a look at the iMac again as the Roon Core after resolving the hard drive issues.

iMac:
There is enough space now after getting the SSD drive for the foto library. The other apps are stable, there are only issues with roon.

Macbook pro:
Roon runs stable most of the time. It crashed twic (“Roon was terminated unexpected…” report to apple)

On the other hand I want to get it work on the imac. So I renamed the roon database how suggested and I´ll try it another time.

Regards
Frank

1 Like