Roon freezing up during searches

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus with internal SSD and external SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

QNAP QSW-1208-8C-US 12 Port Unmanaged 10GbE Switch Twelve SFP+ with Shared Eight 10GBASE-T Ports

Connected Audio Devices

MSB Premier DAC, hardwired Ethernet
Ayre QX-8 DAC, hardwired Ethernet
Chord Qutest DAC, connected via USB to 27" iMac
Chord Hugo 2 DAC, hardwired Ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

My library: 70,723 tracks; 2,859 Albums

Description of Issue

Roon has recently (past week) freezing up during searches while I’m playing music (my hi-res audio files) or streaming (I subscribe to both Tidal and Qobuz) music. I’ve attached a screenshot to illustrate the problem:

You can see I’m playing a piece of music and searching for something else using Focus. But no album covers appear, only blanks. This isn’t a question of Roon search being sluggish; nothing appears. And when I click on play/pause button to stop playback, nothing happens – the music continues to play. Roon is frozen. The only way I can usually resolve the problem is to close Roon and then re-open it. The music then stops and I’m able to resume searching for what I was looking for.
This freezing up occurs even when I’m not playing music. Here’s a couple of screenshots to illustrate that problem:

I’m looking at different versions of Mozart’s Don Giovanni conducted by Wilhelm Furtwangler and when I select one of them, it doesn’t open up. What I see is the flashing Roon icon (equivalent to Apple’s spinning globe). The problem doesn’t resolve itself – and the only way I can resolve it (usually, not always) is to close Roon and then re-open it.

I should add that the freezing occurs while I’m using my 27" iMac (running macOS Big Sur 11.6.1) as the Roon remote. The iMac is hardwired to Ethernet and has 48 GB RAM. I mostly use the iMac as my Roon remote, but occasionally use my iPad Pro or my iPhone 13.

I’m a longtime Roon user (5+ years) and have had virtually no serious problems during the past two years. My Internet speeds continue to be fast and freezing or dropouts virtually never occur when I’m playing or streaming music.

Any thoughts you might have on what is causing this problem and how I might resolve it would be most appreciated.

Mark Salkind

I am having a very similar experience Mark, albeit with a rather diffferent setup using a mac mini as the core and an ipad pro as the remote. Elsewhere on the forum, a number of users are reporting the same issue which seems to have arisen after build 952 was introduced a few weeks back. I expect Roon will resolve it in a coming update; in the meantime, the only fix I’ve found is a full reboot of both the core and remote, which works temporarily.

@support,

I posted the issue on June 5th and I’ve heard nothing back from Support. Is anyone going to respond?

Mark Salkind

I merged your post here, to mitigate cross posting.

I think you are experiencing the results of this update …

I believe a new version should be released shortly which will likely help many members.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.

3 Likes

Hey @Mark_Salkind,

My sincerest apologies for the delay in my response, and for your wait here. We’ve made some recent changes to the support team structure and some reports have experienced a longer response time than usual.

Since some time has passed I wanted to touch base to get your current status. Are you still experiencing this problem after updating to the newest Roon build (970)? This update pushes a fix related to the search issue you’re having.

We’ll be watching for your reply and get back in touch as quickly as we can. Thanks! :+1:

Benjamin,

Thanks so much for responding. I’ve updated to Roon build (970) and it does appear to have fixed the search issue that I was experiencing – that is, Roon freezing up and albums showing as blanks during searches. I am finding that searches are generally faster now, even snappy on occasion, although there are still times with some significant lags.

Again, thanks for checking in.

• Mark Salkind
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.