Roon Frequent Dropouts (Using WIFi)

I had the same problem today. Would play a song for about a minute and then drop out, skip to next track but no audio. I assumed it was a network issue as I was connecting via WiFi , but had no issues playing from my phone endpoint. I’m loving roon but am worried about spending the money on an application that isn’t stable.

Maybe scour the forum for similar issues, bottom line is that Roon is not sympathetic to WiFi

It’s a common thread, scuze then pun

I do realize that my configuration is most likely problematic ( music files on a NAS , running core on an older MacBook Pro, WiFi via an Eero mesh router ). And I do love how roon manages my music so I might go down the rabbit hole and get a dedicated core machine and wire areas via Ethernet. However, it does seem odd that I can stream to 2 oled TVs UHD Dolby Vision HDR content, two kids streaming YouTube, and have no audio playback problems using Plex or BluOS. Yet roon seems to struggle even playing 16/44 flac files. Network traffic is certainly an issue but it certainly feels more apps handle it better.

So after my semi frustrated rant with this a couple of reboots and the problem went away. I am truly loving this application which is probably why people (like myself ) jump to frustration with dropouts. I am going to work on cleaning up the data chain for a more stable experience.

In the groups opinion which would be the most critical areas to evaluate? Stability of the core hardware (Mac/Nuc/etc.). Location of music media (nas vs local storage)? Or wired Ethernet to as many endpoints as possible? I realize all are important but would be curious which seems to cause the most frequent issues and start there.

Wired Ethernet.

Hi @Michael_Maloney,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Thank you Carl, and sorry my previous post wasn’t in the appropriate area. I do appreciate the help the Roon team and the community provide here.

Here’s my current setup that I’m using based on the trial period of Roon. I few components of my system are due for an upgrade, so any suggestions for making Roon a better experience is great.

Core:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Processor: 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Roon Build: 1.7 (build 710)
** Since my home computer is several years old, I am considering replacing this with a Mac mini M1, but waiting for (hopefully) Roon M1 Silicon support and waiting until more bugs are ironed out. Have considered a NUC, but since house is very Apple Centric, and will need a replacement home computer soon, I would rather use a Mac if possible. Home Machine will be primarily for Roon and light home computer use.

Remotes:
MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2019)
Processor: 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7
Memory 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4
Roon Build: 1.7 (build 710)
(This is a work computer which is why not running Core on it)

iPhone Xs Max
Roon Build: 1.7 (build 610)

iPad Pro 12.9 - 4th generation
Roon Build: 1.7 (build 610)

Storage:
Music Library Stored on:
Synology DS415play
CPU: INTEL Atom CE5335 / 1.6Ghz / 2 cored
1050 Albums / 9046 Tracks / 212 Artists

Networking:
Internet Provider: Spectrum
Modem: Motorola E31U2V1
Router: Eero Mesh
Internet speed: Download 236Mbps / Upload 12Mbs
Signal Path: Modem Ethernet Out --> Eero Mesh --> All hardware connected via Wifi
(my Core/Work Laptop/Synology is near Modem/Eero so I could purchase an ethernet switch/hub if you think performance would improve)

Audio Playback Devices:
Office: Laptop/Ipad —> Chord Mojo --> Dan Clark Audio Headphones (Wifi, but could connect via Ethernet)
Kitchen: Sonos One (Wifi)
Bedroom: BlueSound Node 2i (Wifi) --> Preamp --> ELAC Navis Active
Family Room: AppleTV (airplay Wifi)

Future Endpoints being considered down the road but not implemented:

• Rasberry Pi Connected to Family Room Home Theatre (replacing Apple TV airplay)
  • Rasberry Pi / Schitt DAC Endpoint in bedroom (for additional Headphone listening station)
  • Sonos S1 in kids bedrooms.
  • Sonos Move (for backyard)

Writing this down I’m pretty sure the suggestion is going to be to install wired ethernet throughout the house :slight_smile: … But I will say that in general wifi / network performance has been great in general. Even Roon works more times than not, but does appear to be more sensitive than other applications used in the house (including BluOS and Plex)

Thanks for the support and any suggestions for a more stable experience.

No guru on NAS but isn’t the Atom processor a bit “old & weak”

Maybe try putting a few files on the core PC hard drive and see if they play any better. If you have a mix of CD and Hi Res files. That may help isolate the NAS if that is the cause

Just a thought

A low powered NAS should be fine for the music library… he is not running the Core on the NAS its on a 2013 MBP … Wifi is likely the issue here

I was thinking it’s a quick way of eliminating one of the potential causes, I agree WiFi is the most likely culprit, but more difficult to troubleshoot and ultimately fix

Thanks for the networking link. Very helpful. I will start there taking the advice of hard wiring Ethernet to both the nas and the core. Wiring all end points in the house is a much larger investment, so hopefully the nas and core connections will make a difference.

Since I’m using an eero mesh system, it sounds like there might be an improvement if I purchase an additional eero with an Ethernet port to connect to the my blue sound 2i / bedroom endpoint?

Re: the nas. Agreed it’s underpowered but not using it as the core. I have a backup drive connected to the core with all my music so I can try that as well if the nas is a factor.

Thanks for the help!

Wifi to a single playing endpoint should not be a major issue… to many it probably will. It certainly will if you’re sending from the core and to the core via wifi - remember Eero is essentially wifi and wifi doesn’t work well in full duplex modes.

Hello @Michael_Maloney, glad to see you got some help here! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks so much. So far hard wiring Ethernet for both the core and nas has helped considerably. Now time to look into wiring other parts of the house.

Really hoping 1.8 doesn’t require more core processing than my old MacBook Pro. Guess we’ll find out.

Should be more than adequate unless you plan to start running dsd512 upsampling everywhere

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.