Roon gave me the best new year’s present: it stopped working again!

I considered running a ROCK on my NUC i5, but decided against it as I am not familiar with Linux and its compatibility with e.g. above USB C.
Regular Win 10 Pro with Roon Core installation, a number of endpoints and the library on a USB C 8 GB HDD directly connected to the NUC and configured as network drive. The database resides on the internal SSD which is way oversized for the job. Library is synchronized with a NAS that sits a few rooms away.
Works reliably and never had any issues with updates. Apart from the occasional issue with Tidal login or my Cambridge 851 going AWOL from the network all works well.

Sadly, that might be part of the story. It’s easy to overthink things when one has so much stuff in their heads. Knowledge is a great thing until it becomes an unwanted bias.

You opened a support thread with Roon once and it appears there was no follow through to their initial overture. Give them a chance to help you through this. They have tools to analyze the problem.

Hope you can get this running right for 2021 and beyond!

2 Likes

Not sure what this means. Roon seems perfectly able to access all of my music library and index it, so that can’t be the case.

The NUC model number is NUC8i7BEH.

Yes, I realize RAID0 is not a great choice, but at the time, 4 TB SSD drives were the largest you could get. Now that 8 TB SSD drives are not too expensive, I could replace the external USB RAID0 drive with an 8 TB internal SSD drive, except I don’t see a simple way to add music to the internal drive from the external drive. There’s no command on the web menu. I suppose I could access the files on my ROCK server through an external computer and then do a file copy, which would be quite slow as it would go over the network.

Your on an old version of the ROCK OS. I would update that and see if you still have problems. Just choose Reinstall from the webui and it will update it to the latest version. Its safe to do this and you wont loose your library as they are on seperate partitions. No need to restore your library either.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I rolled back the update on my ROCK and got my Roon system working again. As long as I don’t update the iOS apps, I should be ok for now. For some reason, the iPhone app is considerably more brittle than the iPad one. I’m going to leave it as is since if it’s working why mess with it is my philosophy.

Because you’re running in an absolutely unsupported way. Make sure you bookmark this thread. When your system implodes on itself again, and it will, you can come back here where the answer on how to fix it has already been provided.

2 Likes

In the past ROCK and Nucleus did not support USB-C / TB3 connected devices…perhaps this has recently changed in the last RoonOS upgrade to include at least USB-C drives. @Danny ?

Thanks for your information and help, and I appreciate all the suggestions folks have made. But I have used Roon for several years, long enough to realize that there’s no stable version ever in my experience. It seems to have numerous glitches, regardless of which platform I use (Windows, Mac, Linux, Rock etc.), and the control apps on my iPhone have never worked reliably in the past 2+ years. Still, I persevere, because it is a good product, and I have a lifetime membership, so you could stay I’m stuck on Roon!

Fortunately, I have a backup controller with the Auralic, which plays Qobuz far more reliably than Roon ever did, and has never ever crashed on me once in several years of heavy use. But the Auralic controller is less flexible than Roon, and tied to that one platform. So, it’s a question of tradeoffs. I keep hoping that Roon will work out the bugs, hopefully that will come true in 2021!

Again, maybe the problem isn’t with Roon.

I have been using Roon for almost 4 years and have had one problem that was quickly rectified. Roon has been super stable on my iMac and then on the two sonicTransporters that I have had. I still use a sonicTransporter i9 for my Roon Core. Roon has also been stable on my iPad for the time I have used it. By the way I have used both Tidal and Qobuz, for a while at the same time, and now use Qobuz alone along with my local library. Roon was great on my ultraRendu too. Now I use HQPlayer Embedded and Roon and HQPlayer have worked perfectly together.

Maybe the cause of the problems is you or your setup…

1 Like

Have to agree. Going on three years with Roon. Have a nucleus+ with 12 zones in my house across Lumin, sonore, nad, and bluesound endpoints. Had a problem in year one with a bluesound sync issue that was their problem and fixed with a firmware update and a nucleus issue in year 2 that was resolved working with Roon support. Other than that it’s been rock solid. Have has no issues with updates. No issues with iOS devices. Have no issue syncing across all devices. It just works. I’d also suggest the problem may not be with Roon.

1 Like

In the years I’ve been perusing the Roon user forum, I’ve come across many complaints from users about their Roon problems. I doubt these are only in my system. Take a look across the forum. There are widespread issues.

I’m not denying your positive experiences. I’m delighted you have had a trouble free Roon experience. I wish I could say the same.

I remain hopeful that these issues will get resolved or at least I continued have a workaround. My current solution is to stick with a previous version and not do updates. I’ll see how long that lasts.

1 Like

Just a question (from a generally happy user, with some real issues)… have you tried updating the ROCK’s OS before updating the version of ROCK software? I don’t know if you’ve gotten “out of sync”. I hesitate to get you in a situation where you brick a working set-up, but by visiting the ROCK’s webUI, and keeping it up to date I’ve never had an issue… but I’m a stickler about keeping os up to date as well as the software. Dunno if that would be forward or backwards progress for you.

What I see here are a few people having a few problems. The problems only appear widespread because people tend to only report problems. If the problems were widespread, this forum would cease to function…

1 Like

Have you seen how long people are waiting for support to do anything more than ask someone to upload logs or describe their installation? It’s taking weeks right now to get anything fixed, that to me verging on ceasing to function.

1 Like

That is a different issue…

There are over 100,000 users Roon tells us, this forum is , as far as I know, the only source of Roon support.

If you count the number of issues it must be in sub sub decimal percentage.

Add to the the vast array of kit running Roon , cores, end points, DACs etc what software can anticipate the mix of all these variables? Even the likes of Microsoft and Apple get it wrong occasionally.

This forum’s members have a vast experience between them and normally get to the answer before a formal support input . I don’t think that’s bad.

Roon has its moments with features and shortcomings but stability rarely.

I must be lucky in having a bog std system with no fancies, to me it just works, I sympathise with those for who it doesn’t

Ill say this again… Roon uses cloud based systems that the core software interacts with all the time it is running. Having the Core system and clients out of sync with the backend systems is undoubtedly going to give you some issues and any support request or assistance will be requiring you to be on the latest releases.

The sooner you get over this reluctance to get your system up to date with the current releases the better your experience “should” be.

I’ve run Roon with a large library of local and streaming content (>250K tracks) and on just about every platform including Synology, NUC, Nucleus, ROCK/MOCK Win7&10 and MacOS for the last nearly 5 years and never have I had all the issues you seem to be constantly having. Now that’s not to say I haven’t had issues but those that I have had have been resolved either within the community or by roon support in good time.

There are bugs of course and these do get addressed as time goes by but not to the point that I would stay on an older release risking non interoperability with the backend systems.

4 Likes

OK, point well taken. I will attempt an update again, since I can always roll back if necessary. I don’t want to single out Roon. We live in the age of cloud-enabled software, and it brings with it its own queer sort of glitches (I began my grad school in AI in an age when I still had to use punched cards to write programs in FORTRAN, so you could say I’ve seen a lot of technology transitions in the past 40 years!). Things have gotten immeasurably easier, not least of which is having access to millions of tracks of music (I had to go down periodically to Princeton Record Exchange in New Jersey, a great used vinyl store in the early 80s for my weekly playlist!). But, software has not gotten more reliable, sadly.

I live in a pretty part of the San Francisco Bay Area, in a wine growing region with 50+ wineries near me that I jog past every morning. I use an Apple iWatch to measure my pace, and after the last update, it refused to sync with my iPhone. I never had this issue before, and looked on the web, and sure enough, literally hundreds of web pages described how to fix the problem in numerous ways. Most of these didn’t work for me (turn off/on bluetooth? Check. Reboot iPhone. Check. and so on.). Finally, I gave up, and guess what, a week later, synchronization magically started working again.

Thus it is with Roon for me. Things that were working will just stop working, for reasons I can’t figure out. In the beginning, Qobuz integration was a real nightmare, although that’s gotten a lot better recently. All in all, I signed up for a lifetime membership because I still think Roon is a fabulous product, just wish I could get it working so I doesn’t keep having issues!