Roon gave me the best new year’s present: it stopped working again!

That’s the point! Thousands (tens of thousands?) enjoy Roon trouble free. Therefore, the issue is not Roon but the disaffected users equipment/setup.

The point is that not everyone is on the same platform, some people use Roon fine and some people are experiencing bugs with the code that manifest into memory segmentation errors, process crashing and simultaneous endpoint/remote disconnects. While a subset of customers may very well be enjoying uninterrupted playback on one install type there is evidence of conflicts and bugs that lead to crashes on others. Dismissing this fact is naive and is getting frustrating.

@Kevin_Roxby was making a point that the vast majority of Roon don’t have issues. Of course that’s his opinion but I agree with him. I don’t agree that because there are issues raised in these forums that the conclusion must be that vast majority of users are having them, that Roon dev is incompetent and/or they never fix anything – which some here want to conclude.

Those that stay in the best practices sweet spot of having a dedicated Roon core machine (not a general purpose computer or NAS), have their music on a SSD or an attached disc with their core machine, have a rock solid network, use wired networks to their devices, and use Roon certified devices generally have few problems. I know a bunch of users that follow these guide lines and have no major issues running Roon.

And none of the above is in any way being dismissive of those that are having problems which of course I hope get resolved as soon as possible. It’s just trying to put them in some perspective.

2 Likes

@Craig_Palmer

I see no benefit to having the locally attached storage for the Roon Core be an SSD. Both a spinning hard disk or an SSD are equivalent for music storage.

3 Likes

I said either. If you are fine with spinning disks no need for an SSD. If you don’t like them, get an SSD. You don’t like SSDs - that’s fine.

But that is factually incorrect, there are people (myself included) that have all of that and are still having issues that stem from memory segmentation faults within the dot net environment which results in process termination, music stopping with endpoint and remote disconnects, then the subsequent restart of the roonserver process. This has all been happening since 667 was released and is proven by viewing OS log files. This is all on very dedicated, as recommended hardware and network infrastructure that has been running just fine for months or years. There is also a gradual slow down of the server over a period of time, this is likely due to memory allocation not being handled efficiently.

As I said, just because some people are running just fine doesn’t mean that everyone is. There is a whole host of different platforms that are used for Roon, it just so happens that people experiencing the issues that I describe above happen to be on a *nix based OS.

Please re-read my post. Nothing in it says that people don’t have problems; so in your words, saying that I did is “factually incorrect”. It just says that you are not the majority. And I never said anything about there not being a host of different platforms. I only said you’re best served by using a dedicated platform for core. And finally, I’m running on “*nix” without any problems as are all of my friends – also without issue so I’m not sure where your comment that these platforms have all sorts of problems. In any case, I still stand by everything I said in my previous post.

It’s getting old being told that you’re not doing it right.

Hmm. This is what I said in my original post…

Who exactly is telling you your doing it wrong?

Have you updated the dot net framework, there are Visual Studio updates almost monthly adding to the Net Core, but not framework.

Are we even sure Roon is using dot net framework or Net Core, strictly the framework is being phased out as far as I know

If memory allocation is an issue, reboot every day takes 5 mins …

I reboot daily for other reasons maybe why I have no issues on a Windows 10 platform …

1 Like

I maybe reboot weekly if there are windows updates… seldom kill the whole PC tho. If something odd is happening at worst its a roon server restart but thats very rare. Its a dedicated headless roon core only PC i7-7700 16GB Ram and 256GB SSD with 16TB drive for Music (~13.5TB used)

1 Like

Roon uses the open source implementation of Dot Net, Mono. I should not have to restart a dedicated server OS or process daily. That is unacceptable.

We suffer major lightning storms in summer, Johannesburg South Africa, so everything is powered down and disconnected from the mains every night. I once lost a lot of hi fi due to strike on a neighbours tree so I am doubly careful.

Not sure if helps but I have virtually zero stability issues with Roon

Yes, that is my conclusion too.

It will be interesting to see what 1.8 brings in terms of updated version of dot net, it has seen a lot of progress in the last two or three years.

Mike

I don’t know about Roon in the Windows environment, but with Linux or macOS, I reboot about once a month. On the Linux side, I reboot that often because there are updates to the system software that require reboots. On the macOS side, I reboot that often because my iMac runs better if I reboot on that schedule. With neither OS do I reboot monthly because of Roon.

1 Like

Hi @Sridhar_Mahadevan — I’ve followed up via PM.

Please share the results of the solution / issue that was found.

I am seriously considering learning Net Core as MS are hinting at deprecating Dot Net at V 5

Am I right ? I am too old for new tricks … Woof