Roon gave me the best new year’s present: it stopped working again!

Mike it’s a good tool set, and they have moved multi platform through the Mono project.
Different name but still being developed for Windows, Linux and Mac. I imagine continued development for the long term.

Regards

Mike

I am long retired but still itch to play occasionally :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think there’s a huge advantage to using SSD drives with Roon. I know of no other app that hits the drives as hard as Roon. One of its more useless (IMHO) features is a visualization of the track volume levels. This requires going through each and every track and when you set up a large multi-hundred thousand track library, Roon is a torture test on any spinning hard drive. The RAID drives I used originally were Seagate 16 TB drives in a Raid 5 configuration. It ran continuously for days indexing my library, 24/7, and sounded like a coffee machine was percolating all the time. That’s one reason I stopped running Roon on my Dell workstation with the RAID drives inside. It’s way too noisy to do my work with Roon hammering away at the disks all the time. I’m much happier now with Roon running on a pair of 4TB SSDs connected to a dedicated NUC. It’s mostly quiet except the fan in the NUC blares once a day when it backs up to my Dropbox. I’ll have to eventually get one of these fanless PCs so even the fan noise is gone. Needless to say, I would never ever run Roon with spinning hard drives. Way too noisy in my experience unless you have really really quiet drives or it’s a NAS tucked away in your attic or in a basement somewhere.

For the Roon Core and database? Sure! For music storage? No way!

My Roon core is sitting right in frosty of me less than 2 feet away. It is a sonicTransporter i9 which uses an SSD as the boot drive that contains all Roon Core code and data files. There is also a spinner hard disk inside that holds all of my music files. There is no noise at all as it is fanless and the hard disk is quiet. Roon does not beat up the spinner unless it is indexing the database for the first time after that, it is only access lightly.

2 Likes

I wish I could agree, but this is simply not true in my experience with Roon. The iPhone app in particular has never been reliable in the last few years I have used it. It crashes regularly, sometimes more often than other times. It’s without question the most unreliable iPhone app on my iPhone XS Max. Fortunately, the iPad Roon app seems more stable, which is not clear to me why that’s the case. I’m simply reporting on my experience as a Roon user. Don’t get me wrong. I love Roon, use it every day, and it has certainly made a huge difference to my musical enjoyment.

Many years of working in the software industry has given me a certain phlegmatic disposition to software: as the old saying goes, if builders built buildings the way software engineers write code, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization. If that sounds unkind to software engineers, don’t view it that way. I am in this profession, and I see first hand the issues in keeping software working.

I manage a high end data science lab in the one of the world’s largest software companies in the San Francisco Bay Area. My group has an amazing diversity of talent, all the way from pure math PhDs from Ivy League universities to very talented algorithm designers. We are required to design scalable algorithms that are used by the majority of the world’s Fortune 500 companies, and this requires scale and reliability on a truly humongous level (many trillions of transactions a day, many petabytes of data). Even with all the resources at our disposal (many hundreds of thousands of servers), it’s hard to keep things working reliably. Outages do occur and are expensive and difficult to fix. It’s a constant battle to keep things reliable. On the other hand, a well designed skyscraper can stay intact for a hundred years, with some periodic maintenance (e.g. Empire State Building). Software is simply not that reliable, sadly, as the underlying technology changes rapidly, and the components are also changing all the time.

I bought my first CD in 1985, and still have all the many thousands of CDs I have since purchased in these last 35+ years. Guess what? My first CD still plays back absolutely reliably, and the vast majority of my CDs still work without a hitch. Optical storage is just unmatched in reliability. Sadly, hard drives, no matter what their pedigree, are incredibly unreliable. I have lost countless hard drives over the years, and there’s a big junkyard of non-functional drives in my garage, which I throw out periodically. Anyone has a working hard drive from 35 years ago? I didn’t think so. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Something is clearly wrong with something in your setup if your iphone roon app crashes that much. I use roon on my iphone almost every day (and have been using it for years) I can’t remember the last time I had a crash. Maybe it’s the XS for some reason as I’ve been on the iphone 11pro since it’s release over a year ago and just recently switched to the iphone 12 pro.

I have a Seagate ST 238R 30 MB RLL drive still running in my 8088 XT.

1 Like

I’ve had Roon on a crappy Mac mini 2012 with 4GB of memory while managing a 44k track library. I may have had a minor problem once in the last four years.

1 Like

I must have been quite lucky. I’ve been a major computer user (for fun and work) since I got my first computer, an Apple II (not a IIe, but the II, still have it and it boots up from a 5.25 floppy as of last year). Of course, the Apple II had no harddrive, so I digress. But in any case, in all these years, I’ve never had a harddrive go bad. I’ve probably never used a computer more than about 5 years, and perhaps that helps.

Perhaps not, but is seems that the Roon zygots seem to be! The man has wasted a lot of time when he should be listing to music! Read his message, stop whining about the form. Roon is good, but it’s not God.

Hi there,

I think I am in a similar loop where I can’t get into Roon. I keep circling through an (unvirtuous) loop where apparently the only available option is to unauthorise my Neucleus+ server. It does this on the iOS app and on the Mac OS app. Seems like the same bug.
It’s frustrating how Roon is spoiled by these sorts of details. It feels like no-one looks at what the user experience is like.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.