Roon Genre anomalies?

Doing yet more rationalizing of my Library (Roon 2.0 1357; macOS 13.6.1).

In Settings > Library > Import settings I have 'Use genres from Roon’s metadata database’ set to ‘No’; and ‘Use genres extracted from file tags’ as ‘Yes’.

In Settings > Library >Genre mappings I have the default pairs. Though see below; it seems like a very limited subset.

But sometimes, when I edit an album’s Genres (in the Album Editor > Edit Album > GENRES), I get two things which don’t make sense to me:

1 - Although I have added, for instance, a ‘Concerto’ Genre, it doesn’t appear as an option when I Search to add it:

The only items which appear in that dropdown are those in the above-mentioned mappings.

2 - I have a ‘Choral’ Genre (which does appear in those mappings). Yet I get a dropdown like this when I try to add ‘Choral’:

I’ve also noticed that - when I’m adding Genres to multiple Albums, the legend appears in Green.

And that sometimes the changes I make to Genres do not appear until I’ve relaunched Roon. I came across threads like this which suggested that was the expected behavior but would be changed in a later release.

Is there a really good guide, please - other than this basic section - that will help me understand where I am going wrong?

Thanks in advance…

A post was split to a new topic: Clearer Genre Hierarchy Distinction Between Roon/User

Hi @Mark_Sealey,

@Geoff_Coupe is an expert and I’m glad to hear you connected on another thread.

Thank you for your suggestion - the team will split your last post into the Feature Suggestions section for other users to add their votes.

1 Like