Roon Hangs on Start (Win 10 Pro)

Hello Sergey:

Thanks for the reply. I’ve got an Nvidia RTX 2080ti with an AMD Ryzen R7 3800X processor, so no on-board Intel graphics. I play games on this machine too so the graphics driver is upgraded frequently. I use DDU uninstaller every few times as well to create a cleaner environment.

It’s weird, the Server on it’s own runs fine. Just the Windows GUI hangs. There has to be something that will fix this since I had it running for 2-3 years on my prior machine without many issues.

Hi @Derek_Kozacko,

We’ve just recently released Roon build 528 which contains a few various graphics-related changes. Can I please ask that you update to the latest build and let me know if it changes anything with regards to this behavior? Full release notes can be found below:

Hello Noris:

I just installed that build and am going back to the combined GUI+Core (which I prefer). I know that it will work at first, so I’ll update you again over the next few days. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Hello Noris:

I installed the new version and it came up. I set Background Audio Analysis to 4-core and the system went through and analyzed all 15,000+ tracks without any issue. I then started playing a song and it played fine. I closed the program and reopened it and it hung. I tried it twice. If you look at the logs you’ll see, the first few I connected to RoonServer, then some large files which represent the system working and anylyzing those 15,000 tracks, then the two small files are the immediate hangs.

One of the reasons I let it analyze everything is that turning it off didn’t help and I figured if it was a memory issue, wouldn’t that heavy activity cause more problems than just simply opening the program after all the analysis had been completed?

Hi @Derek_Kozacko,

Sorry to hear that the update hasn’t helped here.

As for next steps, I’d really like to know if Windows Event Viewer is logging any information related to this behavior. Can I please ask that you reproduce this issue and use these instructions to gather Event Viewer logs?

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Upload the Event Viewer logs to our diagnostics servers, information has been sent via private message

Thanks, Noris. I had it hang a few times and just uploaded the evtx file for you. I did see some Application Hang and Application Error messages on roon.exe, so hopefully something in there will help diagnose this.

1 Like

Hi @Derek_Kozacko,

I appreciate your patience until I had a chance to discuss your case further with QA. We did notice the issues in the Event Viewer logs, but it is unfortunately not clear what is triggering the issue.

Since the Server aspect works fine and it’s just the GUI that is hanging here, we should investigate the graphics side further.

1. Is there any change in behavior if you force Roon to use the “Power Save GPU”? You can access GPU settings by using these instructions.

2. Are you using any additional GPU tools on this PC, either from NVIDIA or AMD? In the past programs such as “Display Fusion” have prevented Roon from working properly, I would try exiting out of any such apps on your end to see if it’s causing this behavior.

Hello Noris:

I tried #1. It didn’t see to have any affect, still hung. The only graphic utility I have running is Nvidia Multi Display Power Saver. I run (3) screens, the center at 3440X1440, 144 Hz. If I don’t have this running, the the GPU will never downclock and it’s quite loud and wastes a lot of power. I disabled it and Roon still didn’t load, but I think that once it’s done that one time, I have to reboot to have any chance it will start up again.

I’ll continue testing this. I’ve tried various compatibility options, running as an Admin, and other things and nothing is consistently letting it run. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Derek_Kozacko,

Thanks for checking.

Just a word of caution - you shouldn’t be running Roon as Admin, it might cause some issues. I would try running Roon in regular mode instead.

If you turn off/exit all graphics utilities, does the same behavior still occur?

Hello Noris:

I have “Run as Admin” unchecked now. I just experimented with it and it didn’t seem to help. I’m continuing to test to see if I can find a scenario that seems to be stable. I disabled NV Multi-display power saver and it still hung. After the last reboot, it came up so I’ll try to run it and see if it keeps working.

One thing i did notice. After I adjusted Graphics Settings to Power Saver for Roon (as you suggested), many of the images on the GUI are now blank gray.

For example, all the “Recently Added” row are gray, the New Releases row all show the covers. Is that expected behavior for this setting or another indication of a potential incompatibility?

Hi @Derek_Kozacko,

I am not aware of the power saver GPU causing this kind of behavior, it should have been working similar to the external GPU. Are you certain that these albums actually had covers previously? When the gray “square” cover appears, that generally means that Roon does not have metadata associated with the album and the generic “gray” artwork is displayed instead.

Hello Noris:

I have been extensively troubleshooting this and I do have some information for you. First, my setup is a triple-monitoring in a PLP configuration. The left and right monitors are 2560X1440@60Hz (in Portrait) and the center is 3440X1440@144Hz. I had exactly the same setup with a different center monitor (same res but only 75Hz). That system had AMD graphics and this one is an Nvidia 2080ti.

What I found through extensive testing is that:

1. I can start Roon successfully after a reboot or if I reinstall Roon.
  2. It’s the GUI that is hanging as I can run Server-only without any issues.
  3. Roon will fail to restart after I close it almost all of the time. Every once in while I can start, stop and restart it but it will then crash on the third restart attempt. Once this happens it will hang every time thereafter.
  4. If I shut off my center monitor and use only the left and right OR shut off the left and right and use only the center monitor, Roon will launch successfully every time. It can hang 10 times in a row with 3 screens, but if I shut off the center monitor, I can then launch it successfully 10 times in a row.
  5. Once I have it up and running (with some screens off) I can then turn back on the other screens and it will continue to run. If I close it and restart it may work once but then back into the hang situation.
  6. I have shut down any additional Nvidia utilities and this made no difference.
  7. I set the program to Power Save GPU and this made no difference.
  8. I have tried setting the center monitor to 60 Hz (to match the L and R) and this does NOT fix the issue.
  9. Nvidia has a weird and long-running bug that causes many multiple monitor configurations to enter a higher power state and not downclock. This is one of the reasons I run Nvidia Multi Display Power Saver. However, I see the same behavior with Roon regardless if this utility is running (and clocks/temp are lower) or not running (and clocks/temp are higher).
    I am sending you two screen caps with Roon running and hanging and CPU-Z data on my card in case this helps at all. I had 3-monitors of the same resolution running with Roon for several years on my old system so I have to believe it has something to do with Nvidia drivers and the way that they deal with multiple monitors and different frequencies.

Hi @Derek_Kozacko,

Thanks for the update here and for the extensive testing!

It does sound like the three monitor setup is definitely a factor in the issue.

Yes, do send me the CPU-Z data and I will attach it to your case notes.

I have asked QA to review the new findings and once I hear back, I’ll be sure to let you know.

Noris, let me know if the two images came through I uploaded JPG’s last night for you. Thanks.

Hi @Derek_Kozacko,

No, I am not seeing any images in your reply. You can upload screenshots by using our screenshot instructions.

Sorry, I uploaded them using the same link as I did with the logs. Here are two images.The first when Roon is Hung and the second when Roon is running successfuly.

1 Like

Hi @Derek_Kozacko,

I appreciate your patience until I had a chance to receive further feedback regarding your case from QA. I have followed up via private message for next steps.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Roon: Not Responding after a few days

A post was split to a new topic: Roon was hanging until reinstall

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.