Roon interface volume plus and minus buttons (+/-) sometimes get stuck [Fixed with Build 1364/1365)

Thanks dear Mike_LC. Could be wrong, but making my way to the devices’ Audio settings list is something I believed had been achieved (see previous screenshot). It’s the volume limiter altogether that’s not showing among the settings.

Could be an active option forbiding the use the volume limiter, but that’s just a guess.

There’s a bunch of advanced settings too, among which I see “force max volume at playback start”. Decided it should be off for every device, even though the crazy “progressively increasing to maximum volume problem” may not originate from there as it’s a randomly occuring thing (or could it?).

I don’t see the volume limits from settings - audio - device setup. I can find it using the route mentioned above. Starting with the speaker icon, lower right next to the zone selection.

1 Like

3 Likes

A picture speaks a thousand words :pray:t3:

3 Likes

Very many thanks guys, solved!

The unsuccessful root I was trying to follow actually is still advised by the Roon help center (if Roon staff wants to rectify this, here’s the link again: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/volume-limits)

Thanks again dear Lewis_Menzies1, PixelPopper and Mike_LC for having pointed this out and insisted despite my stuborness!

2 Likes

Only to confirm that turning the “force max volume at playback start” setting on or off unfortunatly doesn’t prevent the volume from going mad. It however reduced the signal close to silent in one of my zones. Had to turn it back on.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi. Is there any progress on this bug? I’ve had it nearly destroy my Sonos speakers a few times, making me reconsider using Roon at all.

Various reboots not effective, however, one reader suggested deselecting device volume in favor of fixed. Save, then reselect device volume & save. Slept on it. When I played a track this morning, all was good. Of the many things I tried, I believe that device/fixed volume trick seemed to be the charm.

1 Like

I have the volume limit set to 60 which is not really so loud that it’ll blow the speakers, but still relatively loud. If I use a macbook as a controller I can move the sound up and down within the volume limit no problem and it stays static - eg if I select 55 it stays at 55. However if I use my tablet as controller as soon as I start to play music the volume automatically jumps all the way to 60. If I try to use the - or + buttons it will not move from 60.
Anybody got any idea how this happens?

I selected “Load default” in Device setup and this seems to have worked. Hopefully stays like this, but if it happens again at least I know what to do to fix.

I have had this issue twice on my android app, where the volume slowly increments to max. Closed Roon, relaunched, and problem gone. Still concerning.

1 Like

This keeps happening to me randomly when using my android phone and tablet, I have volume limits set on all my players but it is still concerning that Roon have not yet fixed the problem and appear to ignore this thread.

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Seen this issue before but doing it again for me. Pc running room controller Motorola android phone. As reported before . Doesn’t do it all the time but . Once it starts volume goes up automatically on its own to max

Running Android 12 in the UK

Hello @Simon_Howarth ,

Thanks for reaching out here with your report. Just to make sure I understand you correctly here, when you are using your Android phone, you are using the volume +/- buttons and at one point the volume + button appears to get stuck? If you force-quit the application on your Android and leave the Roon Server as-is, does the behavior stop?

It happened to me today for the first time is quite a while.
Google Tablet (the new one) with a recently built Roon Rock. Forced stopped the app, came back shortly. Restarted Roon app on Rock, no help. Again restarted app and so far it is stable. Output is through a newer Bluesound Node.
I recall this happening quite some time ago with earlier hardware but don’t remember how I addressed,. , Ugh!
Wish that were my only frustration with Roon; another Bluesound device keeps disconnecting from Roon mid-play. When using Bluesound software, no problems. Ugh! Ugh!..
I listen to music for enjoyment, not frustration.

Roon Core Machine

Windows 11 PC with all updates.
All Roon apps are updated to latest versions.

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon generally working well and has happened a few times now where using the Android app and listening to a playlist.

Say volume was at 85% or something like that and wanted to bump it up a tiny bit. Use the + button and hit a few times and good and then all of a sudden blasting. It is at 100%.

I tap the - button a few times and it goes down momentarily and then increments back up to 100% on its own. Drag the slider down to 50% or so and it works, but let go and it quickly slides back up to 100%.

Go to the Denon HEOS receiver and turn the volume down and it works. But then the Roon quickly dials it back up too.

Turned everything off, turned on the receiver, turned the volume back down - then restart the song and it dials the receiver back up.

Force stopped the app, turned the receiver down, restarted the app, it let me click the volume back down to around 80 with the - button and stayed this time.

Didn’t dare touch it again for the list. Has happened 2 or 3 times in the last few months with the same Android phone.

What does the workaround do? Does it work on Android? Will it keep the volume from going up on its own?