Roon is slow (er)

Hi Wes,
Can an akasa case generate such an issue?
What should I test first?

My suggestion:
1 I replace internal storage by network storage for music file → we test
2 if still wrong, I replace the NVMe drive by the old one → we test
3 if nothing of the two steps above change any thing what should I do?

I have just opened the box and verifyied all connections. I have also plugged it on a different wall socket. Can you let me know if there are still errors? Thanks

Hi @Judelow,

I’ll just lay it out there. I’m not really familiar with NUC configurations outside of what it supported (HW-Wise) and the OS itself so I can’t really comment on cases etc. I have a lot of toys to use for work but ROCK isn’t one of them. Yet…!

Ok, I have checked your logging and the HW errors are GONE!!! That’s a good sign for now. How is the slowness? I’m seeing failed audio analysis attempts and corrupt files in the library but we’ve made progress. It looks like Roon didn’t like Alanis - Undefined, and quite a few others. You can remove those files from the Roon view in Settings>Library>Clean up library.

Let me know how things are going on your side.

Wes

Thanks Wes,

I cleaned up the library.

What are failed audio analysis attemps. How many are they? Do you know why they fail?

Slowness is still present. The home page launches in two phases on my android device. First part with " recent activity" takes 16sec to launch and then “new release for you” something like ten second.
It is much quicker on my ipad.

Can you send me a screenshot of your Roon>Settings>Storage as well as your Roon>Settings>Backups (then click view) screens?

Thanks,
Wes

Here it is

Thank you. Sometimes there’s some confusion over these locations and these two items sharing a location can be problematic. You currently have the watching of the music folder disabled so that’s not it.

Let me review your logs with our experts again. There may be something I’m not seeing that is apparent to them. I will be back in touch early next week and appreciate your patience in troubleshooting this very odd issue.

Wes

Thanks looking forward for receiving your expert feedback

Hi wes did you manage to get the feedback you were expecting?

Hi @Judelow,

Not yet and for that I apologize. I’m working on a queue and can confirm this will be on my agenda tomorrow. I will get back to you ASAP.

Sorry for the delay!

Wes

I did and we have some suggestions.

1. The ATA BUS errors are back. This is the most recent instance:
Feb 15 11:53:02 (none) user.err kernel: [439455.536491] ata1.00: cmd 61/20:f8:00:09:c0/01:00:61:00:00/40 tag 31 ncq dma 147456 out
Feb 15 11:53:02 (none) user.err kernel: [439455.536491]          res 40/00:90:00:09:40/00:00:5f:00:00/40 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error)
  1. We think it’s best to try a different core (if possible). Any Windows or Mac PC capable of running Roon can function as the core. We’d like to see that pointed to your database and your NAS to see if the slowness persists.

Ultimately, with the ATA BUS errors we expect hardware to be the source of the issue. Trying Roon on a PC as a core will completely eliminate the hardware from the equation.

Thanks,
Wes

I am installing a new CORE on a windows pc, it should be running in few hours
Right now:
Data base is restoring
Scan of nas music file ongoing

1 Like

Hi Wes,
Bad news
I installed core on windows pc.
I have waited for 3 days for the server to scan all music files.
Then I decided to restaure a back up done with my NUC.
Since restaure process done, the pc server doesnot launch any more on the windows pc.
Please note that in between, i rapidely checked on my android remote and it was pretty quick before loading all music but as slow as before when the whole music was sanned (>100k songs).
So I think I will go back NUC (in order to have music at home). Please, Let me know if any thing can be done on the pc.

Nb: it had been up and running during the night and until around 9.00 morning time.

Hi @Judelow,

I was able to look at the machine as it reported to Roon but I don’t know that there was anything out of the ordinary happening there. Your database is 120k tracks and as a core, that computer looks to lack the processing power and memory to do the job, and possibly why the DB import crashed things. Possibly. It’s also possible you have both database corruption and a HW issue at play.

Since you have a backup, did we try the fresh DB on ROCK? With ROCK as core, navigate to your WebUI to both reset and reinstall from that page. Reset will indeed wipe everything so making sure your backup is safe is key. Don’t import your DB. Sign into Qobuz or Tidal if relevant, and play with it for a few days. If I were sitting at your keys, I might even point Roon to a couple of my favorite band’s folders to see if you find any slowness present.

Wes

Thanks again for your answer and your patience.

I will try the freshbackup plan.

Only one thing I am not sure to get. What do you mean by “If I were sitting at your keys, I might even point Roon to a couple of my favorite band’s folders”. Freshinstall + start over with tags + bookmarks + favorite?

Essntially, what I want to see happen is the database bypassed on ROCK and you operate your Roon setup with a fresh database to see if the issue still occurs. While you’re doing that, go to settings>storage and point Roon to a couple of artist folders so there’s some sort of storage in play. Here’s an example of what I mean. The Roon test music folder is on my local Mac and not my core:

• Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your ROCK’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

The most important part of this is that the DB folder be renamed and Roon NOT be pointed back to a database backup. We’re trying to figure out if that DB is a part of the trouble.

Thanks,
Wes

Hi @Wes

So i did all you suggested.
It is much faster now :slight_smile:

Do you know if it is possible to get at least my favorite back? Or any other info relative to my previous DB?

Hi @Judelow,

I am glad things are working but may have partial bad news.

Your best bet here is to restore the oldest backup that you have and see if the performance issues return. Signing back into your Qobuz account will bring back your playlists etc though.

I have more thoughts though.

What kind of specs are there on the Synology? I wonder if Roon attempting to access it is over-tasking it.

What happens if you restore your backup and then go to Settings>storage in Roon and completely delete your references to your NAS? Does the slowness continue?

Wes

First thing I done was to delete NAS link, the one pointing to music storage. This had no effect.

Then I have not tried with the one to save backup. This one was still active. May this one cause any issue?
So far with the new configuration, I have not backups yet. Should I try with another location in my NAS? What do you suggest?
The NAS is a synology ds413+.

Please note that at this stage, I signed up with my Qobuz account, I also scan my whole music library on my internal ssd. So far no backup set in settings and no link to the nas yet. The remote interface works fine, it is quick.

If you are happy with your current situation let’s not change anything. Is there anything you want to see change from here?

Wes