Roon is stuck at "Adding Music to your Library"

I have been running roon for 2 years with the existing setup:

1. All music files residing on Synology NAS
  2. Roon Core running on iMAC (latest version)
  3. Roon endpoint running on a mac-mini (latest version)

All three devices are wired in same switch (Ubiquiti Unifi). A verizon Fios gateway is also wired to the same switch which implements the internet connection.

Roon Core+Control on imac has been flaky for me for a while. My database is very big. 1/2 times Roon would crash on startup. I decided to move Roon core on a Roonserver (later version) running on a different PC (Ubuntu linux 16.04). I did a core migration by the book (database backup and restore) and started up the core on the linux machine. The linux PC is on the same Ubiquiti switch.

When I startup up roon control on the imac right now I get following message (stuck forever):

“Adding Music to Library; Of 41 tracks, 41 added, 40 identified”

I read a similar thread on the support forum and it stated that Roon cannot communicate with your servers. Can you please let me know how to address this? Rebooting Roonserver (linux pc) and Roon endpoint (imac) has not fixed this.

Thank you

-duke

I want to correct something: My Roonserver is the latest version (not later). So is the control on all my devices.

Hi @Thucydides_Xanthopou ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is appreciated!

Moving forward, to help aide in our evaluation of this behavior may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following information:

• Please provide the exact model of iMac that was previously hosting your Roon core.

• When you began to notice this crashing behavior on the iMac did Roon generate any error messages? I would expect an OSX crash report to appear but I am curious if at any point you saw any warnings in Roon.
  • Please provide the make, model, and specs of the new core machine.

• Please verify the which model Synology NAS you are implementing and the size of your current musical collection, based on number of tracks.

• Please provide a screenshot of your “storage” tab so I can see how you have the NAS mounted in Roon.
  • Just to reconfirm the steps you took were based off the steps listed in our knowledge base, correct?

Lastly, I have enabled diagnostics on your accounts so our techs can try to determine what could be causing this behavior to occur. What this action will do is the next time the application is active on your core device a diagnostics report containing a set of your Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded directly to our servers.

Once the mentioned reports have been received I will be sure to update this thread so you know that we have it and then I will swiftly pass them over to the team for further analysis.

-Eric

Hi @eric, here are the answers to your questions:

Please provide the exact model of iMac that was previously hosting your Roon core:
27%20PM

When you began to notice this crashing behavior on the iMac did Roon generate any error messages? I would expect an OSX crash report to appear but I am curious if at any point you saw any warnings in Roon.

Roon did not generate any error messages. It simply exited.

Please verify the which model Synology NAS you are implementing and the size of your current musical collection, based on number of tracks.

DS415+
DSM 6.1.6-15266 Update 1

Please provide the make, model, and specs of the new core machine.

It is an intel i7 machine that I put together from components. Very stable and no issues with anything else. It is running Ubuntu 16.04

Please provide a screenshot of your “storage” tab so I can see how you have the NAS mounted in Roon.

Just to reconfirm the steps you took were based off the steps listed in our knowledge base, correct?

Yes, this is correct.

Thank you. Any help will be appreciated. I have been without music for some time.

-duke

Thank you for touching base with me and taking the time to answer my questions @Thucydides_Xanthopou, very appreciated!

Continuing forward, I did some research on the previously used core machine and it looks like the device did not come with a solid state drive pre-installed in the unit. This is less concerning to me as your core is not being hosted on the iMac but I want to make sure that the new core machine has an SSD installed for your Roon database as this is going to be one of the minimum requirements to run Roon.

Furthermore, the mentioned diagnostics report has been received and attached to your ticket which is now with our tech team who will evaluate the Roon logs attached to the report. As soon as the team completes their evaluation of the diagnostics report I will be sure to share their thoughts/findings with you in a timely manor.

In the mean time, I would like to try and isolate some variables here and confirm that there are no potential issue occurring with the current Roon database you have running. With this in mind I would kindly like to ask you to please perform the following:

• Before anything, please make a backup of your current Roon database.

• Once the backup has completed, please stop all instances of Roon from running on your devices. This will include the current core machine and your remotes.

• Now that the application is inactive on your devices, please use the instructions below to test with a a fresh Roon database. Remember, this is only temporary :wink:

• Locate your Roon database according to these instructions
    • Rename the entire Roon folder to roon_old (or RoonServer_Old if applicable)
    • Relaunch Roon, sign in, and configure a new install
    • Let us know if you experience the same issue.

-Eric

Hello @eric, thank you for your feedback.

I understand that the ssd will improve performance but this by itself is not responsible for crashes, Correct?

Anyway, I took your advice and I rebuilt my entire database. No issues. I am up and running. i am not particularly interested in restoring the old database since I did not create any content myself (i.e. playlists etc.). You may remove the ticket.

Thanks for the help.

-duke

Glad to hear the new database is working as expected @Thucydides_Xanthopou!

Happy listening!
-Eric

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.