Roon jumping randomly when streaming music from Tidal [See Staff Post]

From Quebec, Canada. DNS 1.1.1.1
The Cars, Drive. Constant skipping from a few seconds in and then skipped to the next track.

It has played the 5 following tracks without skipping.

From Sante-Adele, Quebec. ISP is COGECO. DNS set to Google (8.8.8.8).

Cat Power - Jukebox - track 2 Ramblin’(Wo)Man.
1st try - skipped at: 1:08, 1:15, 1:36, 1:45, 2:23, 2:31, 3:27, 3:34
2nd try: 1:08, 1:15, then skipped to next track
3rd try: 1:08, then skipped to next track
4th try: removed all oversamplig, volume levelling, headroom management and all filters: same result as 3rd try.
Also tried using WASAPI instead of ASIO: same results.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Just started again. From Quebec, Canada. Videotron 130mbs, DNS 1.1.1.1

Skips at 1:00, 1:05, 2:32, 2:35, 3:15, skipped to the next track at 3:18.

This track skips for me also. Not at the exact times, but very close.

Atlanta GA, ISP: Charter Spectrum, Windows core wired with DNS of 1.1.1.1, Untangle router, Unifi switches

The problem continues today, both in flac and MQA. As an example, I had the problem in the song below, at 1:25. I am from sao paulo Brazil.

Hi @brian !

From Quebec city Canada.
Using BELL.
DNS set to Google (8.8.8.8).

Cat Power - Jukebox - track 2 Ramblin’(Wo)Man.
1st try - skipped at: 1:08 and jump to next track (Same as @Daniel_Blais poste)
2nd try: no jump
3rd try: no jump
4rd try: no more jump !

From Quebec city Canada.
Using BELL.
DNS set to Google (8.8.8.8).

Same track as @jpdspin
Biosphere, Dropsonde, track Arafura

1st try - skip at 2:40 and jump to next track

We’ve reproduced the issue in-house :tada: :tada: :tada:

16 Likes

Hello @brian

The skipping issue here (West Palm Beach, Florida USA) does not appear to be format dependent. Both MQA and FLAC files can be affected.

Using an example song that @Montgomery_Campbell cited in a reply post today, Taylor Swift’s Red album, track ‘I Knew You Were Trouble’, here’s what I see:

I don’t know a much about the Tidal API (no public docs ;)), but using Fiddler I can see that after the tidal.api GET request for the song selection, the .audio.tidal.com CDN host is different for the Tidal native app vs. Roon.

In the case of the native Tidal app, the host is sp-pr-fa.audio.tidal.com (fastly ip 151.101.6.142) and the song plays with no issue.

In the case of Roon for the same track, the CDN host is sp-pr-cf.audio.tidal.com (cloudfront ip 52.85.87.252) and the song skips as the server appears to be corrupting the packets?

The audio content loads within a few seconds from both, so bandwidth bottlenecks do not seem to be at issue. As others have noted, scrubbing within a track once it’s loaded will reproduce the glitch at the same position (time) in the track. If however, the track is reloaded the result can be different.

Please let me know if I can provide you with additional info. I’m very willing to help collect data from a geographic location where this issue is repeatable. I didn’t want to post a (public)Fiddler screenshot as I think the headers contain personal tokens/logins, etc.

We all love our music and appreciate the work that the Roon staff is doing to resolve this issue!

3 Likes

This is encouraging :grinning:

Thanks for the feedback. This is encouraging. We get so dependent on Roon we suffer from anxiety when it doesn’t work properly :wink:

5 Likes

Hum, that’s interesting. Not the same internet supplier and not the same DNS.

In the same boat as @DA270 and I’m in Nashville, IN and it started doing this about 2 weeks ago I noticed. Stop and replay does not always give the same result.

I noticed this jumping randomly in Roon about three days ago. I am in Toronto, Canada. I thought the issue was caused by my new digital room correction filter, however I noticed later that this jumping randomly only happens with streaming from Tidal on Roon and not on my local files. This jumping randomly also happens when I disabled convolution. Hopefully this will be fixed soon as I have Roon running everyday in my office, and love the Roon radio function.

So had anyone at Roon been able to duplicate this behavior yet? It seems to be happening to a lot of folks, and as of now, Roon is non functional for those of us that are experiencing this issue. Using BluOs for now which isn’t having problems, but obviously I miss Roon.

Yes they did reproduce this behaviour, they are working on it. Hopefully it won’t take to long.

I see that I missed that post from Roon above, Good news. :smiley:

Hey All, we’ve been working on this continuously (+/- a bit of sleep) since reproducing it yesterday, and have narrowed this down to an interaction between Microsoft’s .NET 6.0 framework and some of TIDAL’s servers…except these are not really TIDAL’s servers–it’s actually Amazon CloudFront, which is the content distribution network that TIDAL uses.

CloudFront is comprised of thousands of servers all over the world. They do not all get software updates at the same time–Amazon, like all large providers, deploys code on a rolling basis. Perhaps starting with some parts of the world then going broader, or rolling back if there are issues.

We have been reproducing this issue by using a VPN to virtually transport ourselves to Montreal, since apparently there are some “bad” servers there.

Then, in the past hour or so, our ability to reproduce has become flaky then evaporated. Almost as if Amazon rolled out some new code that fixed this issue this morning. At least, that’s how it looks to us.

Because of rolling updates, it’s possible that there are still “bad” servers out there. This is not our infrastructure so we don’t have the details, so we’re not calling this fixed yet.

Nonetheless, I think it would be useful to get a read on how you guys are doing.

If you have a minute, please try this:

• Reboot the machine that runs Roon
  • Play some music and see if this is still happening.

Afterwards, I’d like to know:

• Where you are located
  • If you are still seeing the problem, or if it has gone away

This will give us a sense of what is happening and how this is changing. If there are still parts of the world where this is consistently bad, we may be able to reproduce it again using another location. Unfortunately, the only real concentration we saw in the data was in Canada, and those avenues seem to be closed now.

2 Likes

Status
Played 2 tracks without any problems. Third track and others now jumping around within track again.

Status
40 minutes ago, I did a Roon reboot and tried to play Tidal tracks through Roon and the skipping started on the very first track.