Roon jumps over the first track on playlists

i7 Windows 10 Desktop, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB m.2 SSD
Runs full Roon application including Core and control and HQPlayer.
Library on Synology NAS

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Every time I begin to play a playlist I click on the first track. Roon momentarily begins to load the first track and then quickly jumps to the second track. This happens on every playlist that I have created, I do go back and click on the first track and it plays. This has been an issue since my original installation a couple of months ago.

Hey @James_Howard,

I’m very sorry we didn’t get a chance to reply until today. We’re so sorry about that…:pleading_face:

I was wondering, if you play music from the Artist or Album view (or any other that is not a playlist), do you get the same behavior?

Would you be able to let us know what is the source of the music files: are they local files or from a streaming service?

Thank you for getting back to me. It jumps past the first tract whether in a playlist or in album view. My database is on a NAS. Roon (and HQPlayer) is a full install on one PC for now with USB connection to my DAC. I previously had the database local on the PC and it did the same thing. I was hoping that the move of the database would trigger a change, but it did not. The playlists are a combination of NAS and Tidal/Qobuz tracts.

I have now reinstalled the entire system. The Roon full desktop app is running on a dedicated i7 Windows 10 laptop and HQPlayer is running on that system as well. It is my core. My local files are located on a Synology NAS connected to the same switch as my core and my desktop PC that is now acting only as a remote. Using now the remote Roon system still jumps over the first tract of a playlist of a streamed album from Tidal or Qubuz. I also will do it on my locally filed albums (on the NAS). This is a frustrating issue. When I start a playlist, I must wait until it takes a couple of seconds looking at the first file before it jumps to the second and plays that one. I must wait and reset it to the first tract and then the first tract plays. I have never edited my playlists. Roon just updated and still no change in this issue.

Hey @James_Howard,

Thanks so much for following up on this thread and sharing everything you’ve done in the past two weeks. We’re grateful for your efforts.

If I may, a couple more question:

Does this happen on all endpoints or just on HQPlayer?
What happens if you install the Core on Windows and the media is on the local HDD itself?

I will work on checking it out when using another endpoint. (I do however value HQPlayer very highly for my playback DSP). The original system had my files on the local SSD and it was doing the skipping then. I will get back to you on the endpoint thing…

1 Like

Roon does not skip the first tract when run directly out the USB to my DAC, bypassing HQPlayer. There is an issue with Roon Communications with HQPlayer such that Roon looks and begins processing the first tract and then jumps to the second. I read somewhere that there is an “exclusive” mode that needs to be set somewhere. Could that be an issue here?