Roon just started playing garbage

No idea what is going on, Roon was working fine and then gibberish. Tried exiting the program and starting again - still the same. Not sure what to try next. Not the computer or sound systems - Audirvana+ works fine on the same files…
Please advise.
Thanks,
Mike

Next day and Roon is still putting out garbage audio… Looks like I’m not going to make it through the full 2-week trial…

I am having the same problem using Windows 8.1 and an Oppo BDP-105 USB DAC. The problem is primarily with the ASIO drivers. I start getting garbage, then have to go into the USB driver control panel and adjust the latency and buffer. After a few tries I can get this to work. The problem is that I have to do this every day when I restart my computer.

I was also having problems with the ASIO drivers for my ifi dsd nano, and thats why I switched to the Oppo.

There seems to be a problem with Roon’s implementation of the ASIO drivers.

Bruce

Hey Mike,

Sorry for the trouble here. Can you give us some more of the information described here? Specifically, platform and information about your audio output would be most helpful. I want to make sure I understand your setup before recommending where to go next.

I’m sure we can figure out the issue, and then we can make sure you have some time to trial the software once it’s working properly ok?

Thanks!

@steveoat87 - we’re looking some ASIO issues, and working on getting hardware from both companies, which is really what we need to troubleshoot specific combinations of hardware drivers and Roon. One thing that might be helpful is some information about settings are working for you in other apps – can you let us know?

Thanks!

Mike

Regarding the Oppo, I have no problems using the regular (Wasapi?) driver. Only the ASIO driver.

With the ifi dsd nano, I recall having far fewer problems with the regular (Wasapi?) driver, though this did not seem as reliable as the Oppo Wasapi Driver.

Bruce

I am using an iMac with OS X Yosemite 10.10.4, 8 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, I am on my 14-day trial of Roon so whatever your system is downloading for potential new customers by default is the version of Roon I am on. My music is either stored on an external 2 TB OWC hard drive connected to the Mac with USB 3.0 and Tidal. My local source files are all FLAC (from 16/44 to 24/192 or DSD) or ISO images (for SACDs). I was running Roon over my wireless network (2015 Apple Airport Extreme hooked up to Verizon FIOS network - 25 Mbps, I believe) via Airfoil. I don’t have problems with my network when playing music from any other source like Audirvna+ or Amazon Prime Music and there was no other activity on the network at the time I experienced these issues. I have an iFi micro DSD DAC but I am pretty sure that is out of the loop EXCEPT when I am playing my desktop system only. I did try to run Roon on my desktop system only and got the same results…

I was playing Roon over my wireless network to four audio systems which all had the same symptoms, i.e., garbage from Roon. I tried music from the local hard disk and from Tidal and got the same results - garbage. I tried the same things this morning and got the same results…

I don’t think the issue has anything to do with my network as I have no issues with Audirvana+ or Prime Music. I have an Airport Extreme that is about six months old and am up to date on updates for the computer and the Airport Utility reports no updates available for any of my Airports (three Express modems or the Extreme). I am distributing the signal via Airfoil, v 4.8.14, again, no issues with any other source than Roon.

What else do you need to know?

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Mike. Any reason you’re using Airfoil?

Would you mind trying our built-in Airplay support? You should be able to enable the zones in the Audio tab of Roon’s settings screen.

Interested to know if that works better, so let me know what you’re hearing and we’ll go from there.

Mike:
Well, two things. First, as I said above, I was getting the same garbage even when I just sent Roon to my desktop WITHOUT Airfoil. Second, for some reason, Roon did not pick up my bedroom on the network (which is VERY important on Sunday mornings for example) and I have been unable to get Roon to re-scan the network to pick up ALL the Express modems.

This morning, all is well – several albums played without a hitch all across the network… I can’t figure it out.
Mike

Ok. Keep me updated, and if the issue recurs, we’ll take a deeper look. Thanks for letting us know Mike.

Mike:
Would you please the me how I can get Roon to re-scan y wireless network so that I can use Roon’s Airplay support instead of Airfoil?
Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike,

Available Airplay zones on your network should show up in the Audio tab of Settings automatically, and no rescan should be needed.

Are you not seeing them there? If they’re not available in Roon, are you seeing them as available in Airfoil? Are any other applications competing with Roon for the same zones?

Mike:
One of my wireless zones does not how up in Roon and no, nothing is competing with Roon for that zone. This is why I do not use Roon’s Airplay feature a you had asked me about several messages ago. So if a re-scan is not appropriate then I need to now how to get Roon to pay attention to that zone.
Thanks,
Mike

There are 3 reasons why an Airplay zone might not show up in Roon.

• A hardware issue with the Airplay endpoint
  • A bug in Roon
  • An issue related to your network

Any of these could be a factor, and more than one could be at play as well. So, unfortunately we need to do some troubleshooting, so we can figure out the issue and get this working for you.

First, can you confirm this:

I’d like to confirm that while other Airplay zones show up and are enabled in Roon’s Audio tab, this zone does not show up, despite being available to other applications. This would rule out Scenario 1 above.

Assuming Airfoil can see the zone and stream to it, I’d like to get a little more information about your network setup. Is this a simple wifi router, or is the network more complex than that?

Finally, can you confirm that the other zones all show up on the Audio tab, that they’re checked off, that they play successfully, and that all Airplay endpoints are the same hardware, and are running the same firmware?

I know it seems like a lot of questions Mike, but we fixed a few Airplay issues for our last release and things have been quite stable since. Something is different about this zone, so I hope we can work together to figure out the issue and get this working. Thanks in advance for your patience!

Mike:
In Airplay, my three zones show up and can be streamed to by other applications.

My network is Verizon FIOS (running at 25 Mbps) into a six-month old Apple Extreme hooked up to my 2015 iMac. I have three Apple Express modems (i.e., my three zones). All Express modems are within 25 feet of the Extreme. All modems are running the current versions of software (according to Airport Utility).
Mike

Ok, so Airfoil sees all 3 Airport Express devices, but on the Audio tab in Roon you’re only seeing 2. And both are enabled, and can stream without issue?

Is it always the same device that’s missing in Roon? Have you rebooted it with Roon open? Are all three devices running the same network settings?

I’m confirming with the team what could be happening here, but let me know if I’ve understood the above correctly.

Thanks!

Mike:
Airfoil sees all 3 Airport Express devices but on the Audio tab in Roon I’m only seeing two. Both are enabled but neither will stream.

It is always the same Express device that Roon will not see. I tried moving the modem to different locations (twice) but this has no effect. All three Express devices have the same network settings and current versions of their software.

Everything works fine in Airfoil - it can see al three Express devices and can stream to them plus the desktop (at least right now).
Mike

OK, thanks Mike.

I’m going to send you a PM so we can get some logs off your install and get a better sense of what’s happening here. Apologies again for the trouble!